Struggling to find good grammar resources

Hi. I’ve been trying to learn japanese at home for a while, and ideally want to do it as cheap as I can. I started with a memrise course for JLPT5 (which it turns out I’ve forgotten most of) and somehow wound up here. I’ve been learning kanji great, but I’m struggling to find good grammar resources. I’ve struggled with finding ones on things like memrise or anki (though I suspect memrise isn’t actually great for long term memory) and not had much luck with things like Tai Kim or TextFugu (really pretentious textfugu by the way, doesn’t shut up about how it’s ‘different’ rather than just teaching, takes forever) Any advice? Ideally something similar to wanikani since the format works perfect for me, textbooks tend to just leave you to figure out practice for yourself which I’m not great with, not ruling it out though.

1 Like

GOD DAMN IT! I’m sorry, immediately after making this I found another post showing bunpro which seems like exactly what I want, and I don’t know how to delete this post… sod.

5 Likes

It’s a relatively new thing, and they are still adding more content and working out bugs, but why don’t you try this:

Also, there’s this:

4 Likes

You can’t delete it. You will have to live with the shame.

21 Likes

What have I done (╥﹏╥)

11 Likes

Don’t worry, I’m sure people won’t keep adding comments just to keep this thread from falling into obscurity

:heart:

10 Likes

I have no idea what you are talking about :smirk:

“Making a comment to keep the thread from falling into obscurity” :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

This is the first time I beat @Leebo to answering a thread (at least the ones within my knowledge and capability). Must add comments to keep this thread from falling into obscurity.:joy:

1 Like

adds comment to keep thread from falling into obscurity

1 Like

adds obscurity to keep thread from falling into comment

6 Likes

I mean…even without bunpro, there have been countless threads about good resources (not to mention the Ultimate Resources thread) not only here on WK but just out there on the internet. I wouldn’t believe anyone who used the word “struggle” when it comes to finding decent EN->JP resources. Sure, you may have to go through a few before you find one that really sticks with you, but don’t keep your standards too high, especially with free resources. You have to consider that part of the problem may be that learning a language is just hard, no matter what you’re using to help. Good luck.

2 Likes

Look what you’ve done, @Lukephos . You made @visceral upset. ダメ!

4 Likes

Going go for 1:11AM Japan time will make it easier for you to achieve.

1 Like

haha, kind of lucky for me that worked out, i had no idea. Wasn’t really trying to “beat” you or anything, but it feels like everytime I look at a thread, you’ve already provided a response to which I have nothing to add, heh.

I use imabi.net almost exclusively when I need to research specific grammar points.

OP claims TextFugu is pretentious on the WaniKani forums. Obviously, you can like WaniKani and not TextFugu but I was like “Holy Salt!”.

TextFugu is pretty cool. After the free trial chapters there is less of Koichi promising the text is different because you have passed the pay gate and he is then just bringing the different forth. Also, it is good different. As explained in all that pretentious explanatory text, TextFugu is aimed a self-learners and so caters more to that circumstance than a classroom like a traditional textbook.And having shopped around for text books and also having spent some time self learning with Genki, I can (pretentiously apparently) affirm that TextFugu is, in fact, different from a traditional style textbook.

(Disclaimer because text is ambiguous. I am using the sarcasm now. Please be aware and wary, dudes.) How dare TextFugu try to innovate and make their product stand out among others like it and then make positive claims about it in trying to sell their product. The arrogance!!!

I actually did have a pretty hard time finding it. Most things I’d find would recommend the same things that didn’t really work for me. I hadn’t thought of looking in the wanikani forums and the ONE TIME I didn’t check if it had been asked and answered well it had been… plenty of times. Pretty obvious in hindsight but oh well.

TextFugu is pretentious for leaving:

“Always Getting Updates (aka Not A Doorstop)
Although your paper textbook has the ability to gain dust, online textbooks can gain updates. We’re always working to put out new content. There’s new lessons, kanji, and content being added all the time, meaning that it can grow with you. Currently TextFugu has lessons taking you from zero to ‘intermediate.’ In the future we will be adding ‘advanced’ and beyond.”

on their homepage years after the textbook as been dead and after scrapping EtoEto completely once already.

Wanikani is good, Tofugu is good…but for whatever reason Textfugu just can’t be honest.

1 Like