We're Hiring a Full-Stack Developer

Tofugu/WaniKani is hiring a full-time Full-Stack Developer to help us to build new features on, and maintain, WaniKani. This person will be the fourth member of our development team.

Candidates should live and breathe Ruby and Ruby on Rails and be very good at JavaScript, HTML, and (S)CSS. Although we’re looking for a full-stack developer, we’re looking for one that leans–just a little bit–more front-end. For more information about what skillset and personality type we’re looking for, head on over to the full-stack developer job posting. Applications are due Sunday, September 8, 2019.

For more information about the hiring process as well as what it’s like to work at Tofugu, take a look at our jobs page.

40 Likes

Develop a WaniKani prerequisite helper that teaches users hiragana and katakana.

Nice!

31 Likes

Build the features that get us closer to our next goalpost: help the user to read a book in Japanese.

Looks like Wanikani has much more in store for us

35 Likes

@koichi I’ve got Go + Vue / JS / SCSS but no Ruby… Super jealous of whoever has the listed skills! :partying_face:

edit: shout out to any Wanikani Gophers out there!

8 Likes

Learn real quick and apply! :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Ruby / years of experience: 0.018

:sweat_smile:

Seriously though, best of wishes to whoever applies for the role, I think it would be great opportunity. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve heard of Ruby on Rails, is that enough experience?

15 Likes

I can develop stacks. I have so many stacks of things on my bedroom floor…

37 Likes

Does WaniKani need any shiftless dreamers?

14 Likes

Sadly I already hold that position

30 Likes

I am so happy I did lifetime…

3 Likes

There can durt only one.

3 Likes

I wish I could apply. It sounds like a fun job, but I’m already working for a company that’s conveniently close to where I live. I quite like building interactive Javascript applications.

1 Like

No Ruby :frowning:
otherwise this would be a very interesting opportunity :+1:

3 Likes

You guys are DHH all the way and I love it!

I’ve been wanting to take a stab at learning some Rails and this just adds to that motivation.

I’ll be ready for that next developer opening :triumph:

As I understand the posting, you don’t have to be on-site.

• Create a program in WaniKani that teaches the user verb and adjective conjugation.

Uuh, nice!

6 Likes

I always find asking applicants to have experience with a specific language or technology to be akin to asking a chef to have experience with a specific vegetable. Applicants who read about this from these forums will likely be consciously active learners anyway of course.

Hiring is tricky though, I suppose, you have to make decisions with very limited information.

2 Likes

I think classes of languages is more important. If you don’t have experience with any dynamically typed language, jumping into something like Ruby on day one could be tough. I’m sure most software engineers can learn them over time, but if a company wants useful contributions right away, having zero experience with even similar languages would require too much hand holding at first.

2 Likes

I see it more like if you are a restaurant specialized in fish dishes and your applicant has only had experience in vegan restaurants… Sure they can learn, but the question is whether you have the resources to be able to afford having a cook who for some time won’t be of very much help in actually cooking for the clients.

As you said, hiring is indeed tricky…

4 Likes

I’ve watched all seasons of RWBY if that counts. :man_shrugging:

20 Likes