Week 8

Start Date: Mar 13th
Previous Part: Week 7
Next Part: Week 9

Reading:

Week Start Date End Chapter End Page Page Count
Week 8 Mar 13th [End Chapter 15] 310 44

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
石神 いしがみ (Week 1)
新大橋 しんおおはし
隅田川 すみだがわ
清洲橋 きよすばし
靖子 やすこ
米沢 よねざわ
小代子 さよこ
金子 かねこ
錦糸町 きんしちょう
美里 みさと
富樫 慎二 とがし しんじ
赤坂 あかさか
扇屋 おおぎや (Week 2)
湯川 学 ゆかわ まなぶ
草薙 くさなぎ
帝都大学 ていとだいがく
旧江戸川 きゅうえどがわ
岸谷 きしたに
間宮 まみや
篠崎 しのざき
山辺 躍子 やまべ ようこ
亀戸 かめいど
森下駅 もりしたえき (Week 3)
荻窪 おぎくぼ
江東区 こうとうく
錦糸町 きんしちょう
哲哉 てつや
工藤 くどう (Week 4)
大崎 おおさき
上野 実香 うえの みか (Week 5)
瑞江駅 みずええき
浜町駅 はまちょうえき
森岡 もりおか
汐留 しおどめ
工藤 那明 くどう くにあき
都営新宿線 とえいしんじゅくせん (Week 6)
品川 しながわ
杉村 園子 すぎむら そのこ (Week 7)

I don’t think there were any new names this week?

I have a dumb beginner question on the usage of あなた. I thought, あなた was used only when you don’t know the person’s name, in forms, or as a term of endearment for one’s boyfriend/husband. Otherwise I thought it was pretty rude. But when 石神 and 草薙 are talking to each other, they’re being super polite, keigo-ing each other, and they clearly know each other’s name, and yet they use あなた a couple of times. I’m confused.

2 Likes

It’s all about context. あなた is also a formal “you” (actually, that’s it’s basic meaning). If the rest of the sentence is formal, among acquaintances or more, it’s fine. (NB: only if the person is of equal or inferior social rank).
In other contexts, it can indeed be considered rude. I guess that’s similar to the drift in meaning that happened to 貴様. Used to be super formal, only used for people of higher social rank, now super rude.

5 Likes

Thanks for your help. I guess they would be considered equal rank in this situation then?

1 Like

I‘m still not quite sure why 石神 would do all this for a person he barely knows. Why throw away his life like that? Doesn’t he have math problems to solve? :frowning_face: Or does he want to go to prison and spend his time doing maths? He did say 紙と鉛筆があれば, so…

6 Likes

That’s exactly what I thought when reading that part. That he just wants to go to jail so he can work on his math problems without having to waste time teaching kids who don’t care about maths.

7 Likes

I really hope we get to read 森岡‘s essay about maths at some point… it’s been a while since that scene so I‘m starting to doubt it, but I’m really interested in what he wrote :thinking:

3 Likes

Oof, that last bit. I’ve been feeling more and more hemmed in (in their place) while reading, and then that conversation with 湯川, where he is both kind and somehow ruthless, and then the phone call that made me weirdly sad while also further stressing me out, and then the end. :fearful:

6 Likes

Congrats for catching up!

1 Like

I am not happy about this. :frowning:

5 Likes