本陣殺人事件 Home Thread

Week 7

Start Date: Feb 12th
Previous Part: Week 6

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Names Page Count
Week 7 Feb 12th 「予行演習」、「止むを得ざる密室」、「曼珠沙華」 ~32

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
井上 英三 いのうえ えいぞう Narrator’s friend (Chapter 1: 三本指の男) (Week 1)
一柳 賢蔵 いちやなぎ けんぞう Head of the family, eldest son, 40 yo, philosopher, lives with his parents
一柳 糸子 いちやなぎ いとこ Kenzou’s mother, widow, 57 yo (Chapter 2: 本陣の末裔)
一柳 妙子 いちやなぎ たえこ Second child, eldest daughter, lives in Shanghai
一柳 隆二 いちやなぎ りゅうじ Third child, second son, 35yo, doctor in Osaka
一柳 三郎 いちやなぎ さぶろう Fourth child, third son, 25yo, lives with his parents
一柳 鈴子 いちやなぎ すずこ Fifth child, second daughter, 17yo, lives with her parents
一柳 良介 いちやなぎ りょうすけ Cousin of the five children, 38yo
一柳 秋子 いちやなぎ あきこ 良介’s wife
久保 克子 くぼ かつこ 賢蔵’s fiancé
久保 林吉 くぼ りんきち 克子’s father, deceased, fruit farmer
鈴子’s cat
久保 銀造 くぼ ぎんぞう 克子’s uncle and the one who raised her/supports her (Week 2)
源七 げんしち 作男
週吉 しゅうきち The miller/小作
磯川 常次郎 いそかわ つねじろう 警部
木村 きむら 刑事
川田 かわた・かわだ The お主婦, or at least the 飯屋 she runs
1 Like
My book impressions

I like the book but I am also glad it is over. It was really hard in some places to understand the stories and there was lots of Japanese terms that are specific to Japanese houses or objects. Nice book, nice story, nice twist but I’m not a huge fan of the narrator breaking the fourth wall. I will probably read the other stories another time but now I want a break from this book.
I hopes to hear all your opinions

3 Likes

I also liked the book! One of the more accessible, older writing styles in my limited experience so far. Excepting specific words for common building parts and clothes that people at the time would have been very familiar with, the grammar and vocab used was really quite approachable.

I particularly liked the way the fourth wall got broken here, haha. The narrative voice was really nice imo.

About the case itself: I was a bit disappointed almost that it turned out to be a suicide and none of my suspects had been it, but then we learned about how 三郎 had helped… And that soothed me a bit, haha.

I don’t know about tragedy having to befall the whole house like that, but I guess the author wanted some sort of poetic justice to happen? Something to show that life was never quite the same… though I imagine the people of that household might very well have acted as is nothing ever happened.

I’ll also be taking a break from this book until I’ve read 獄門島, however. I mentioned in the home thread already that I’m planning to read more by this author. If anyone would like to tag along, that’d be great. :sparkles: Maybe not in a very ‘strict’ book style fashion, but just having a rough structure and a place to come to discuss about the story and language would be cool.

3 Likes

Here’s the post I wrote at the time when I finished the book. I think I still agree with what I said then!

I’d also second what I said in the home thread and recommend anyone who enjoyed this check out 獄門島 some time. It portrays Kindaichi’s next mystery, and you’ll find the same style, but much expanded in scope from well, a 本陣 to an entire 島!

I took it not as poetic justice but as a way to underline the tragedy of the whole thing. Like, if what drove the guy to murder-suicide was the feeling of nobility - that he and his family were too prestigious to endure a marriage to someone lower class and non-virginal, then I think Yokomizo double underlines how pointless and awful that is by depicting that nobility as the last remnant of a feudal system that has no meaningfully relevant basis at the time, and definitely isn’t going to be more relevant once the war hits and further changes everything.
He threw away human lives for the sake of an intangible concept of name and prestige. The deaths that follow in the war show just how misguided that was - lives are far more precious and precarious and worth protecting. And the prestige associated with owning a lot of land in a small village doesn’t protect you from atomic bombs or dying in battle. If he or the family had been able to see that more, maybe at least one more innocent person wouldn’t be dead for no reason.

3 Likes

Ooh, I like that take on it! I can totally see it too, now that you put it in my head. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting take indeed. When I read your posts rodan I always think you must’ve had great grades in [native language] class. I wasn’t a huge fan of this part of the ending but I didn’t think about the meaning much.

I liked the book overall, it was a little bit hard to get into at the beginning but then it was action packed and the difficulty is manageable once you get used to it (and a lot of the Japan specific vocab repeats).

The story is a bit far fetched but it all kinda makes sense when Kindaichi explains the psychology of the characters and little details that made him figure it out.

The main thing I don’t buy is that a super fishy looking stranger would just happen to die of natural causes right next to a house were an intricate murder/suicide masqueraded as a double murder was being planned. And then it snows. I’ll allow the snow but the guy’s death is just too lucky.

7 Likes