Week 3: 幻惑の死と使途 - Illusion acts like Magic

Join the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club here!

幻惑の死と使途 - Illusion acts like Magic Home Thread

Week 3

Start Date: Jun 17
Previous Part: Week 2
Next Part: Week 4

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 3 Jun 17 Chapter 5 68

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
有里 匠幻 ありさと しょうげん Elderly magician (Week 1)
簔沢 杜萌 みのさわ ともえ Moe’s friend
浜中 深志 はまなか ふかし Saikawa’s student
犀川 創平 さいかわ そうへい
西之園 萌絵 にしのその もえ
蒲郡 がまごおり place name
吉川 よしかわ member of the magicians’ show
有里タケル ありさと performing magician
有里ナガル ありさと performing magician
ミカル girl involved with the magicians
滝野ヶ池緑地公園 park in Nagono
(Week 2)
3 Likes

I had a train ride on Saturday so I actually read the entire chapter then, but the thread wasn’t up and so by the time it came up I was procrastinating…

Anyway, things are still happening and really leaning into the magic theme, although I’m a bit worried the story won’t be able to keep up the momentum. Also, just as I liked how they immediately exposed the magic trick in the previous chapter, I don’t like how they’re hiding behind it this chapter… Granted it’s not a direct murder investigation, but you’d still think they’d be more helpful.

5 Likes

I keep getting the two characters ナガル and タケル mixed up @_@ I can’t with these two.

4 Likes

I mix up all three of them -_-

3 Likes

Just finished the chapter (ever so sliiiightly late :sweat_smile:) and I feel like speculating a little bit ^^

I think the most reasonable point in time to hide the corpse was during the magic trick of changing the color because to me changing the color means swapping out the whole coffin. To make up for the empty coffin I guess one could insert a second bottom and insert lead or stones or something. But where did the coffin go? Still no idea for this.

The other option might be that the (heavily makeupped!) body in the coffin near the end of the ceremony was neither our man nor dead, and so he could just climb out, remove the makeup and freely walk among the attendants. That might actually explain why the corpse was not found - it was swapped out much earlier, maybe? :thinking:

3 Likes