Week 6: 幻惑の死と使途 - Illusion acts like Magic

Join the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club here!

幻惑の死と使途 - Illusion acts like Magic Home Thread

Week 6

Start Date: Jul 08
Previous Part: Week 5
Next Part: Week 7

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 6 Jul 08 Chapter 13 60

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
有里 匠幻 ありさと しょうげん Elderly magician (Week 1)
簔沢 杜萌 みのさわ ともえ Moe’s friend
浜中 深志 はまなか ふかし Saikawa’s student
犀川 創平 さいかわ そうへい
西之園 萌絵 にしのその もえ
蒲郡 がまごおり place name
吉川 よしかわ member of the magicians’ show
有里タケル ありさと performing magician
有里ナガル ありさと performing magician
ミカル girl involved with the magicians
滝野ヶ池緑地公園 park in Nagono
(Week 2)

I’m a couple weeks behind now. Currently getting ready to move from Japan to the US, so I don’t have much time to read. I haven’t stopped reading though, just not moving fast enough to catch up.

Maybe I’ll still start Replaceable Summer with you guys so I can test the theory that the human mind is capable of digesting non-linear information.

5 Likes

Well that was probably one of the most telegraphed deaths ever. (Still happened a bit later in the chapter than I expected.)

Don’t know exactly how it was done, but this seems like a prime situation where the general solution is Mikaru was killed beforehand and it was someone else (presumably the killer) on top of the building to hide the true time of death. That means the culprit would probably be a woman. So now I’m starting to suspect Murase just to clear the way for Yoko moving forward…

My friend showed me this yesterday, and… yeah. You can probably figure out what I thought of. (NSFW warning)

Anyway, when is the 使途 going to show up?

4 Likes

The next chapter is called 奇術の使徒 so I would think pretty soon.

By the way, next week is just chapter 15 which is 31 pages. Is anyone really gonna stop there? Given that the big reveal/Saikawa lecture comes right after that…

(I always kinda hope that Moe will solve the mystery for once, but I don’t think it’s ever gonna happen. I get it, she’s Watson, it’s not her role…)

3 Likes

Of course we should stop there, that’s when we need to put our thinking caps on and solve the mystery…! Since it won’t take much time to read, it means there’s just that much more time for thinking!

2 Likes

Well I’m terrible at that so I’ll just watch you show me how it’s done :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Random thought–there’s a flaw with Moe’s theory for Shougen’s murder: there was no way to guarantee the divers would bring up the decoy box and not the real box. This isn’t a ‘fatal’ flaw since even if they did get the real box, it (presumably) would reveal the method but not the culprit, but if you’re going to go through all this I think you’d want better than a coin flip for your plan working properly.

3 Likes

Yeah… I thought it implied that the divers were in on it, but that was no mentioned.

1 Like