Week 5: 幻惑の死と使途 - Illusion acts like Magic

Join the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club here!

幻惑の死と使途 - Illusion acts like Magic Home Thread

Week 5

Start Date: Jul 01
Previous Part: Week 4
Next Part: Week 6

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 5 Jul 01 Chapter 9 + 11 53 + 23

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
有里 匠幻 ありさと しょうげん Elderly magician (Week 1)
簔沢 杜萌 みのさわ ともえ Moe’s friend
浜中 深志 はまなか ふかし Saikawa’s student
犀川 創平 さいかわ そうへい
西之園 萌絵 にしのその もえ
蒲郡 がまごおり place name
吉川 よしかわ member of the magicians’ show
有里タケル ありさと performing magician
有里ナガル ありさと performing magician
ミカル girl involved with the magicians
滝野ヶ池緑地公園 park in Nagono
(Week 2)
1 Like

I just read chapter 9 parts 1&2.

I’ve always liked the mail correspondence parts since they tend to be so flavorful. The ones here also didn’t disappoint! Everyone has such a different writing style, I love it. :sparkles:

I especially liked 牧野’s mail, it’s so cute. It’s pretty obvious from context what it means, but I figured maybe someone else would like to read up on せう (again) too. I know I felt like a refresher. :slight_smile: Here’s a pretty article on the topic.

5 Likes

Thanks for the link! It’s the first time I encounter this, and I just thought it was made up grammar. That email was fun, but gods she sounds super sleep deprived ^^

3 Likes

Haha, that’s true! Really cute, though. :smiley:

Having finished both chapters…

I really wonder where 萌絵 gets that confidence in her theories from… Here she goes, declaring them as 事実 and sure there’s ‘no other possible way’. Does it really not cross her mind that she might just not have thought of any others (yet)?

Anyway, that aside, I also wonder at the police’s faith in her. While she’s always been spinning theories, so far her track record is zero, after all. :sweat_smile: Do they just use her as a link to 犀川 and/or tolerate her because of her uncle? But then, most of them seem to actually treat her with respect. :thinking:

5 Likes

Haha yeah good point. I think she often finds part of the truth, but never all of it, and she’s definitely had plenty of theories that she was super confident in that turned out to be totally wrong. I’m also surprised that the cops so easily give her all this confidential (I assume) information.

5 Likes

Yeah… Didn’t they pretty much explicitly say that earlier? Anyway, her theories this time seem a lot more reasonable, although they’re probably wrong… Although her theory for how the corpse disappeared is the solution in another magic-themed mystery I’ve read. That was published in 1996 and this book appears to have been published in 1997, so I wonder if it’s a deliberate reference?

5 Likes

Oh, did they? I seem to have missed it or forgot about it then. So they’re mostly just humoring her, and the ones we see most often, like 鵜飼 and the new guy, are just more impressionable…? :thinking: I know that one higher up has always been a sceptic, but this time he seemed very approachable and more willing to use her theories as investigative incentive than usual.

That’s an interesting detail. He probably reads mysteries in his down time as well, so it’s definitely possible.

3 Likes

I think it’s a combination of being smitten with her and wanting to use her to get to Saikawa, with most officers more of one than the other… as well as the fact that she’s the niece of the chief of police.

3 Likes

Moe is very convinced that the murderer must have been at the scene of the crime… but wasn’t the magic show at the lake broadcasted live? :thinking:

3 Likes

Mh that sounds risky, there’s always a few seconds of delay when a show is broadcasted live, right?

2 Likes

They’re magicians, the risk is what makes it exciting :sunglasses:

3 Likes