Week 10: マリアビートル 🐞 (Advanced Book Club)

Week 10

Start Date Sections Page Numbers Page Count
September 30 果物, 天道虫, 木村 371 - 411 40

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current section(s) and any content in future sections.
  • Please also use spoiler tags when discussing content from the movie (Bullet Train).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Proper nouns
Name Reading
木村雄一 きむらゆういち
わたる
蜜柑 みかん
檸檬 れもん
峰岸良夫 みねぎしよしお
寺原 てらはら
七尾 ななお
王子慧 おうじさとし
槿 あさがお
3 Likes

Finally I was not lazy and looked up how this shinkansen conjuction work. This is how the 10-car Hayate and the 6-car Komachi connected (the E2 and E3, now there are newer versions, but when the book was released, it was E2 and E3):

7 Likes

Last week I looked it up when they said, “Don’t tell lies that even kindergarteners wouldn’t be fooled by.”. I thought since it’s mentioned twice, perhaps there’s a possibility to switch trains. But it seems impossible to do. Or, is it still possible? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I was wondering why Kimura’s hanko stamp at the start of his section was rotated, and then I finished the section and it made sense. From a meta perspective I’m assuming he’s not actually dead, because we haven’t had the end of the Kimura/Ouji/Wataru flashback sequence arc yet.

4 Likes

Thank you! I had been curious about it for the longest time, but somehow it never occurred to me to look it up.

It really does look impossible, especially at the speeds a 新幹線 reaches. But in a world populated mostly by trained assassins, who knows?

Same! I thought the most logical explanation would be for him to be either dead, or somehow out of the game, but I couldn’t believe he’d die, at least so soon. I too think he must be alive, because otherwise the pain of reading all his sad backstory in detail would feel even more pointless than it already does.

5 Likes

Oh, I had not noticed that at all! :smile:When I read your comment, I wondered for a moment why I had missed the part about hanko stamps. :sweat_smile: Well, it was not turned upside down, just bent, so I also hope it is not the end yet.

4 Likes

Regarding your last paragraph (sorry, still figuring out how things work. I managed to quote the part of your writing I wanted to comment on, but did not see how to keep it sploiler-blurred. Will find out eventually - one thing at a time… :upside_down_face:):
Yes, same thought here.

Besides all the flash-backs otherwise not making sense: I just cannot believe that the author is so evil that he lets the story of the son end like this. I am waiting for some sort of happy-end.

5 Likes

If you quote the whole spoiler, usually the spoiler tags are kept. If you only quote part of it, they’re usually removed for some reason. You can just reapply them yourself though, the same way you spoiler-blur your own text.

You can also quote multiple people in the same post if you like. Don’t hesitate to ask for help if you feel you need it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you! Really looks completely separate.

Great, thanks a lot! Just trying it now. Nice! :hugs: Certainly easier to read for others.

Yeah, I tried to copy only your last sentence. That must have been the problem then.

4 Likes

To me the most logical explanation was that it had always been that way, I just hadn’t noticed before :sweat_smile: (but I was wrong obviously)

I also think that 木村 must be alive, just because in fiction, if you don’t see someone truly most definitely die, then they’re not dead.

5 Likes