Week 11: マリアビートル 🐞 (Advanced Book Club)

Week 11

Start Date Sections Page Numbers Page Count
October 7 王子, 槿, 果物, 天道虫 411 - 453 42

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current section(s) and any content in future sections.
  • Please also use spoiler tags when discussing content from the movie (Bullet Train).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Proper nouns
Name Reading
木村雄一 きむらゆういち
わたる
蜜柑 みかん
檸檬 れもん
峰岸良夫 みねぎしよしお
寺原 てらはら
七尾 ななお
王子慧 おうじさとし
槿 あさがお
2 Likes

Nooooo I was starting to really like 檸檬. Really stupid but badass at the same time. It wasn’t super clear where he was shot, so maybe there’s still a chance, but I dunno.

4 Likes

Mmm, like Kimura we’re left a bit in suspense about whether he’s truly dead.

What was the thing Mikan was looking for that Lemon was talking about being in the coin locker? I assume it was mentioned in a conversation between them 200 pages back but of course I’ve forgotten…

4 Likes

Ah, that is a code between them. To point who killed him(one of them). I did not think Lemon would remember it :joy:
Btw, I used to like Lemon but don’t like him anymore. He was like a childish cartoonish character to me. After I read what he is capable of, nope!

3 Likes

Mmm, this is another way the book seems to lurch around in tone – sometimes the characters and situations are played for laughs, and then sometimes they’re vicious and lethal.

3 Likes

Right, so per my “if you’re not 100% sure they’re dead, that means they’re alive”, he should be alive…

Yeah I had to go check that again as well ^^’ As heikimi said it was in a conversation about what they would do if one of them got killed and how to tell them other one who did it. Which, on the other hand, does not make me very optimistic about 檸檬’s fate. Here’s the whole conversation.

excerpt

6 Likes

Thanks for the excerpt! Kind of tough to remember small conversations like this that I read over a month ago. Looks like the end of that page might also foreshadow Lemon “coming back to life”.

4 Likes

I’m very curious about how this will all come together in the end. There are a few big things in the movie that… could still happen, but don’t seem that likely.

4 Likes

I watched the movie last night and also finished the book early (sorry!) and… (no real spoilers, just general comparison) the book and the movie are indeed quite different. I’d say they’re about 50% the same? So many things are different it makes me wonder why they even keep the rest. I’d be curious to hear from the screenwriters how they decide what to keep and what to change.

4 Likes

My guess is that sometimes the process of screenwriting and it going through lots of drafts and writers means it starts relatively close and then drifts further and further away from the original as the process goes on.

3 Likes