Website down Feb 14, 2024

Main website (https://www.wanikani.com/) gives this error, and nothing else:

We’re sorry, but something went wrong.

We’ve been notified about this issue and we’ll take a look at it shortly.

6 Likes

Same error for me.

2 Likes

I have the same problem. Using Flaming Durtles on my phone in the meantime!

3 Likes

Be careful with that! Not using Flaming Durtles specifically, but I tried to refresh on Tsurukame and I’m no longer seeing any of my data. Looks like apps might not be connecting properly, either.

2 Likes

Oh wow! Thanks for the warning; was about to sync and do a review.

I use Flaming Durtles and it keeps a local copy updates it when it can communicate.
I have been using it for a long while and it has never had issues when there have been outages. Once it gets reconnected, it updated WK with what has been done.
Still a good idea to keep it in mind but seems like a rare possibility.

Edit, Looks like the APIs are up still, so might just be a front-end/webapp issue.

4 Likes

It seems like if I just click that reviews button at the top here I can still get to them at least for now, but the home page doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Oops, I hastily created a new post without checking recent posts.
My wife’s account seems to be working just fine even though we are living in the same house.
I accessed using multiple devices with the same result and I thought I was banned for some reason. lol.
Glad I’m not alone.

one strange thing is I had no lessons before but if I click it now I see one for a radical
Also many of us seem to be around the same level… not sure if any of this is related to the issue but seems… mysterious :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m also seeing this issue

1 Like

I am having no issues.

It seems to be a problem with the dashboard specifically, when I access other sections, like this one, it seems to work just fine.

I can load the dashboard perfectly fine… huh. (._.)

That worked for me, thank you.

It looks like this is some sort of user-specific error. For example, I can load the page https://www.wanikani.com/users/flappybox
but not the page
https://www.wanikani.com/users/wct
or my own dashboard. It seems like perhaps some users’ data is inaccessible in some way that causes queries about them to fail, but other users are unaffected.

1 Like

yes I am a similar level, I can’t load the dashboard but I can do reviews

1 Like

Same thing here, main website won’t work.

1 Like

This is an interesting point about the levels. I looked at a random thread and checked whether I could see the profiles of the users in that thread. As far as I could tell, it looked like anyone with a profile below level 26 was accessible, and anyone above 32 was inaccessible (with the exception of users who are not active subscribers, whose profiles work but show up as level 3). It does seem possible that this issue only occurs once you get past a certain level.

I found a level 31 user whose profile loads and a level 32 user whose profile doesn’t load, so it seems like the boundary is roughly around there - I wonder if there’s a specific item on level 31/32 that breaks things.

2 Likes

Very interesting, thank you for your research! I’m less than halfway through lv. 32 and am having problems so I think you’re onto something about a specific item being broken.

So I did the lesson for this mysterious radical and now I am able to access the dashboard again. Either that was the culprit or this was fixed at the same time.

6 Likes