We salute you API Version 1

Ah, ありがとうございます! I actually forgot there was a forum for this website until now.

1 Like

Alright, but it doesn’t even look ugly. I just checked some images on the play store and it looks pretty similar to wk, I think it looks quite nice. Commendable effort to the guy who made the app. Are you perhaps talking about how you navigate the interface, or purely the looks? What specifically are you complaining about?

The way everything is laid out and formatted I just don’t find as pleasing to the eye as WK for Android. I did discover there was a dark theme, which did help a little bit.

One of the things I dislike most is that when you “level up” a kanji (like from Apprentice to Guru), the pop-up appears right in the doggone middle of the next kanji, obscuring it completely.

That does sound very annoying.

One of the things I dislike most is that when you “level up” a kanji (like from Apprentice to Guru), the pop-up appears right in the doggone middle of the next kanji, obscuring it completely.

I think I found a couple things that might help with that (sorry if this doesn’t help, I literally discovered this a few minutes ago). First you can make the question test area bigger by going to Settings > Display Settings > Stretch the question view to fill the screen when keyboard input is active. Select this to turn it on if you haven’t already.

Next you can change the question text size by doing Settings > Font Settings > Max Font size of main quiz question text. Then slide the slider to your liking and It’ll make the Kanji/Vocab a whole lot bigger. Shame that you can’t really preview it, but you can start a self study quiz to see how it looks, then abandon session if you need to make any more changes.

Hope it helps!

It would be, if it were true. The level up/down toast is shown top center in the question view. Depending on screen size, pixel density and font/display settings, the toast can briefly overlap the top of the next question text, especially with smaller font sizes. But certainly not completely.

The toast can also be disabled entirely.

1 Like

Thanks for this! Currently, I’m testing an alpha version of WK for Android that’s been taken on by someone else to work with APIv2. But if I have to return to Flaming Durtles I’ll look into all this.

Oh man. I thought the chrome extension was just bugged when it stopped updating the review count. I’m regretting uninstalling it now.

Does this work for you as a replacement?

1 Like

It does, thanks! Although I do miss being able to do the reviews in the small pop up window rather than just being redirected to the site.

1 Like

API 1, お疲れ様でした!

Also, in the V2 API documentation, the example response for level_progressions has the ‘url’ property as “WaniKani API Reference…”

This only occurs three times on the page, all under level progressions examples and the httprequest url in the main documentation is correct as “https://api.wanikani.com/v2/

1 Like

Thanks for catching that. I am actually fixing errors with the doc right now, so I’ll add this in along with the other fixes.

6 Likes

The pull request with the fix.

2 Likes

I have reviewed the changes and approved the pull request.

@rocass @MastrJ

In case you wanted to see another alternative:

2 Likes

Ah well noted. A lot of thanks for your reply and your dedicated time to develop the application as well @rfindley! Really helpful for me to view the statistics of my progress :grin:

2 Likes

Would this also allow looking at the accuracy stats page without a subscription, or are those reviews stats “frozen” in some other way? Currently my level is shown as 60, but I can only see the stats of the first 3 levels like so:

Screenshot from 2020-09-22 14-38-29

1 Like

Currently, the data is limited by what the API reports as your max subscription level. When I finish the site, I will fix a few of the limitations, including for people who have subscribed previously but whose subscriptions have lapsed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.