Wayyy to slow

The deck is also available for Anki. :man_shrugging: Though Hine added his template which makes it way more user-friendly and I asked Baggy to have a bot order all vocab in a decreasing order of frequency (On bing, cuz free). So the Kitsun’s version is actually better.

2 Likes

give it time. You’ll soon feel like you are a castle under siege and it’s all you can do to keep the hordes back for another day.

On top of that: this is not a way to learn Japanese. If you think this is too slow or you finish your reviews and still have more time for Japanese, start using an actual Japanese language learning method. Get a textbook; if you have one use it in your down time. Get an exchange partner. Get a teacher (over Skype or in real life.) This service is a supplement, not a method in itself. (It’s still the single best kanji method out there)

I knew about 100 kanji before I started using this site and I was annoyed when I saw kanji I knew. But it’s useful and reinforcing, just accept it:)

3 Likes

Also even in English loanwords, the pitch accent choices being so different from the English stress-accent placement can make remembering a nightmare. ボランティア sounds like a fantasy country.

4 Likes

スケジュール is the worst!

2 Likes

A little off topic, but how do you get the reviews timeline to show at the top?

Ultimate Timeline :smiley:

1 Like

Ah yes, my favourite loanwords are Mekeeshko (Mexico) and tekeesto (text).

1 Like

First of all, I agree with the opinion of most users: The built-in speed is well done (at least for me) and the workload will increase soon enoguh. Still, imho most of arguments I’ve read against the opportunity of customization are, well, not valid.

It is true, that the makers of WK did not randomly determined the speed. And yes, you cannot expect to master WaniKani in a month or less, but nobody wanted to do that anyway. There is absolutely no reason not to allow people to choose their own speed. A feature like that would not mean that no one would use the settings suggested by WK anymore! Besides, you could only allow user above level x to use it, to make sure that they don’t overdo it.

As I said, it’s fine for me. But there are people who maybe want to be asked their items more often. People who do not want to spend weeks with no review of an item between Master and Enlightened. The workload would increase, but as many others mentioned you can just go through less lessons, right? On the other hand there are maybe people who just need to speed through some basic kanji and vocab, for what reason ever (work, travel, etc.). And maybe there are times where you have much more time to spend on WK before going back to normal again.

The point that bugs me the most (and tbh my only personal reason) is that the system denies my autonomy. It’s like at school, as if I wouldn’t be eligible to know how I can learn in the best way. And this exactly the argument that some people here made. YES, I trust WK to have done some research on how to teach people a new language; if I could choose, I would even choose the default settings. But NO, of course I do not trust WK to know what’s best for me, as a person, as an individual!

And yes, I know, that I’m not forced to use WK. But I like WK, and I pay for WK, seriously, what’s wrong with asking for costomization? The fact that WK has so many users does not mean, that the lack of this feature does not bug anyone, but just that it’s not bugging them enough to leave (actually, a friend of mine chose Anki over WK exactly because of this). In the end, I think most of us can agree on the default setting of WK actually being really good. But still, they could be (individually) better.

3 Likes

I think the largest problem is that many people, myself included, initially severely underestimate the workload that an SRS system hits you with later on if you dive deep early, and end up drowning themselves, burning out, and quitting when given full reign. I’ve done it and I’ve seen a lot of people do it, and we’ve also seen how even in this system, people use the reorder script to accidentally screw themselves.

That doesn’t instrinsically mean that people shouldn’t be able to do what they want in principle, but giving people enough rope to hang themselves with isn’t a great business model when you rely on subscriptions.

7 Likes

That’s true. Other systems like anki or even memrise let you do as many as you want the frist day. Can that backfire a week later where you have so many reviews you can’t handle? Maybe but it’s normally not seen that ways

For me personally, only Level 1 was awful because it lacks vocab (as in, usually they’ll unlock when you’re level 2 anyway). I need vocab to feel like I’m concretely learning anything. Level 2 isn’t very tough either but I could actually feel like I was getting somewhere. So maybe an option to start at level 2 would be nice. If you really want to start with around 120 lessons instead of 26, why not. Apparently that’s the kind of workload you can end up with later on, so why not get used to it at the start lol.

1 Like

This topic gets debated a lot, and people always make the same points. I agree that the users should be allowed to choose what pace they like as long as they’re able to make educated decisions.

Who is in a position to make educated decisions on this point? I’d say only the people who’ve been using the tool for some time, maybe from level 25 and up. So if I saw a contingent of level 25 and up users clamouring for the ability to go faster, I’d say that the overlords should consider adding that feature.

But the only people I’ve seen asking to go faster are well below that level. And the 25 and up group have been conspicuously absent in making this type of request.

Note that I’m in no way putting down or thinking less of lower level users. It’s only that they haven’t had the opportunity yet to experience what it’s like to use the system once it gets into high gear. At that point, it either takes all your time just to keep up, or leaves just enough time for users to take advantage of complementary study methods.

11 Likes

While some complain it not that many people compared to how many active users there are.
I think the worry is likely that many users may blow though the first couple of levels on day and the next day they have massive review pile and say “peshh” that’s too much work this platform sucks.

This also seems to only be a issue if you have nothing else to do.
I did my first lessons, went off to do other stuff at the time like memrise and other non-Japanese stuff, came back the next day and did my reviews. I cant imagine that is a issue with most users.

The pace will speed up soon, you should not just be sitting at your computer refreshing the wanikani page waiting for reviews.

4 Likes

gods help you end up in the hospital unexpectedly. happened to me and i’m only finally getting my review totals to manageable a few months on after picking up studies again.

I started 5 or so weeks ago. I said the same thing at level 1. Thought this was a scam and what a joke.
Kept at it and I’m at level 6.

I’m thankful the pacing is the way it is. It is getting harder and harder to remember everything. There will be more and more and more per review and lessons in your future, and you will have harder time remembering everything so the pacing they have setup now is quite adequate unless you have photographic memory.

3 Likes

The problem if you could speed up at these times is that you’ll then have spikes with more work when you master, enlighten and burn the items you learned at the times you decided to speed up because you had more time. And if you don’t have a lot of time at those times, you’ll probably feel overwhelmed (and then make more mistakes which will send items two levels back which will make even more reviews to do).

3 Likes

Hi! I’m not sure what you think I was trying to say with my answer, but I was simply offering OP an explanation for the waiting times that they didn’t seem to understand why they were there. But here’s my take on your question…

First, I don’t know why the WK team made all the decisions they made, so I can’t speak for them; but to me it’s pretty clear what they’re offering:

1. Mnemonics
  2. SRS
  3. “Gamified” experince (levels)

Now… none of those things are perefect and there might be other things they’re lacking, there’s definitely room for improvement, but they’re very straightforward about it, there are no surprises, what you see in the free levels and the guide is what you get.

Here’s what complaints about the level up system/mnemonics/SRS like yours (which, like I said, are the basis of the WK method) seem to me:

Imagine there’s an ice cream shop, you walk in and… SURPRISE! They sell ice cream. There are a few flavours and they have toppings as well. Now… you could complain about the lack of flavours (maybe they only ever have 2 of the 10 flavours listed on the menu), or the toppings are disgusting (bonito flakes, really?), or maybe the shop is dirty all the time or the attendant is really rude, those would all be reasonable complaints. But now imagine someone walks in saying stuff like: “But why does it HAVE to be ice cream? There are better desserts out there. I like cake better, why don’t you sell cake? Are you telling me that ice cream is better than cake??” Those are not reasonable complaints, the ice cream shop is just doing it’s thing, selling ice cream, it’s not making anyone buy it, it’s not telling other people to don’t eat other desserts 'cause ice cream is the only real dessert. So maybe you like cake better, but you can’t walk into an ice-cream shop and expect/demand them to sell cake instead just because you want.

So WK offers these three things, for the people that want those three things (I mean you can do without the mnemonics, but can’t really escape the levels or SRS), they’re not saying this is the best and only way to do it.

On the other hand, specifically talking about the “limit” of things you can learn, it seems to me that this complaint comes from not undestanding the implications of the system, which is alright, a lot (if not most) of us didn’t when we started. The items you learn add up because they will come back for another review, so it is expected that as you go through, even if you learn the same number of items every day/level, your daily workload will increase, being the sum of all your past workload; since at the beginning you don’t have any past workload, the sum is minimal, so you can’t tell how big it will get. For a new user it might not be clear, but given that many of us have tried to go full speed and burned out, it is evident that those limits are by no mean as strict as they seemed in the beginning.

5 Likes

Your ice cream shop analogy isn’t bad but it does make a few critical errors…and to riff on it some more;

It’s a shop that we (people making these suggestions) have clearly stated that we like and support. We will be and have already been buying their ice cream and have stated that regardless, we will continue to do so.

We are not however saying to change from one product (ice cream) to another (cake) as we have stated that the ice cream is fine. All we are suggesting is that they expand how they offer the ice cream to pander to those that would like waffle cones or a cup rather than just the plain cone. In short; the same product but with options.

Furthermore, judging by the number of times these options are mentioned in the store’s suggestion box, they might want to explore expanding their options as clearly there is a demand there.

Options are not change. They are just options.

I’ll going to avoid the level/mnemonics/SRS points for now as that’s going deeper and unless the core idea of “options are not to be feared” can be met then there is no point to dive deeper.

I wrote this quickly while making dinner so please excuse any errors…

1 Like

Selection bias is the bias introduced by the selection of individuals, groups or data for analysis in such a way that proper randomization is not achieved, thereby ensuring that the sample obtained is not representative of the population intended to be analyzed.

6 Likes

Well that’s a first. Mind sharing why you ‘loathe’ my system? You’re free to loathe or hate on whatever you want, but I figured I can get some valuable feedback then? ^^