Ways of writing numbers

I’ve already asked this question on stack exchange, but it seems I’ll get answers faster here.

I need to collect different ways of writing numbers (mainly big ones), but couldn’t find a good resource for it. For whole numbers, the question is, besides the obvious ones (一百二十三万三百四十五), what other formats exist? For example, are these acceptable:
一二三万三四五
123万345
百2十3万3百4十5
一二三〇三四五

And for decimal numbers, my main question is if something like this (mixing decimal kanji and whole numbers) possible:
百二点一厘
Or do I need to write it as
百二点〇一
Or like if kanji is even acceptable for these

4 Likes
7 Likes

一二三万三四五
No - this is rather ambiguous

123万345
Yes - in fact you’ll commonly find large numbers written like this. Just as an English newspaper headline might say “6 billion dollars spent on novelty lollipops”, a Japanese newspaper headline would say 6億.

百2十3万3百4十5
That just plain looks weird. No.

Yep. But with commas, same as English - 1,230,345 (yes, separated into thousands, even though it’s in ten-thousands when it kanji)

一二三〇三四五
Yes. You’ll often see phone numbers and prices on menus written like this in slighty more traditional settings.

8 Likes

@ekg @Belthazar thank you, that answers all of my questions I think

1 Like

Oh one more thing: Just discovered today that Jisho is able to convert numbers, so I guess that can also be used to test the validity of a given numerical representation:

5 Likes

That’s kinda the thing I’m working on except for jotoba.de :joy: I’d like to do things from the ground up, just in case jisho is doing something wrong

2 Likes

If you’re doing it based on how people might input speech, I just want to chime in that the zeros in hotel room numbers often seem to be read as まる

I’m aware, but probably not for now. I don’t want to deal with all the different reading changes just yet.

1 Like

Got an answer here too, worth checking out, as it has some quite, let’s say, odd ways too

2 Likes