Counting in the thousands

basically just need help with a simple structure issue…

I want to be able to count ‘1100, 1200, 1300’, and furthermore such like ‘1311’, etc…

Am I right or wrong in writing 1100 as 千百? Is 1311 yen like… 千三百十一円? Or am I missing something? I feel so frustrated at myself, like I’m missing some fundamental factor to the counting system…

Is this even in the right topic category?

1 Like

You are correct. :slight_smile:
It’s just adding kanji up, and taking the dakuten into consideration. :stuck_out_tongue:

Although I think you usually use 一千 instead of just 千. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah, it’s just 千. Same as 百 - it’s 百四十二 not 一百四十二.

When you go up to the next power of ten, mind, you do need to include the 一 - always 一万 not just 万.

6 Likes

Thank you for confirming! It took me a while to remember I had this question, but it came up in my mind again and I remembered I posted something here on the subject. Glad I did, otherwise I’d still be stumped!

2 Likes

Probably worth adding that counting anything above 万 can get a little confusing in terms of what the actual number is, since the Japanese system changes every 4 powers of ten, instead of 3. Probably not the best way to explain it, so here’s what I mean:

English vs Japanese

English:
1,000 = one thousand
10,000 = ten thousand
100,000 = one hundred thousand
1,000,000 = one million
1,000,000,000 = one billion
etc

Japanese:
1,0000 = 一万 (ie. one ten-thousand)
10,0000 = 十万 (ie. ten ten-thousand)
100,0000 = 百万 (ie. one hundred ten-thousand)
1000,0000 = 千万 (ie. one thousand ten-thousand)
1,0000,0000 = 一億 (ie. one hundred-million)
10,0000,0000 = 十億 (ie. ten hundred-million)
etc.

Now, you rarely are going to see numbers this high, realistically. However, the 十万 ‐ 千万 range is pretty common for cars, salaries, etc. which can become an even bigger pain when you try to relate it back to your home currency.

1 Like

Oh, I dunno - given the yen-to-dollars exchange rate tends to be in the ballpark of 100:1, you just need to drop a zero from the 万, and then reduce the leading power of ten by one. So, for example, 百万円 becomes 十千ドル. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.