Handwriting check

こんばんは :wave::wave:
Can anyone check this for me? Any big mistakes with the form of any kana? I’m not looking for perfection, I just want to be sure that it’s good :ok_hand:
I write down every term I learn, this time was numbers time (ignore the italian writing lol)
I know their kanji form but I’m studying from genki and wanted to write them how they’re presented on the book with hiragana only, maybe it’s a good chance to get better at writing :writing_hand:

3 Likes

Yeah sure. Your Kana look like they take a long time to write. Most things Japanese people write with Kana probably don’t look as neat tbh. Regarding their form I see 0 problems. Though this page doesn’t have all Kanas to check :smiley:
Your 13 has a dropped う.
EDIT: 40 has a dropped stroke on the よ

5 Likes

eagle eye :eagle: you’re right, even if I actually went pretty fast, but the concerted effort was immense, I felt like I was doing a forearm workout lol
thanks for the check! :pray::pray:

1 Like

You’ve omitted the dakuten on ゼロ. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, your 4s look weird. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hiragana is totally good. You cannot know it, but in Japan the numbers one and seven are written differently and people have troubles with your version. This can be problematic eg for addresses etc. One doesn’t have that small dash, it’s just a straight vertical line and seven is completely horizontal in the upper part and without middle line.

I would recommend to write numbers always in the language you currently use, seems like a small detail but it can create big problems!

Z also doesn’t have a middle horizontal stroke.

But I guess as long as you don’t live there you don’t need to worry about it.

5 Likes

I think a lot of that is the British/American influence since they also use . for decimals instead of ,

Although their use of comma separation is a bit weird:

1,000,000 is 100,0000 because in Japanese it’s 百万, or 100 Ten Thousands.

2 Likes

I think so. Japanese people often asked me why I can’t write numbers correctly :sweat_smile:
For me it is very hard to switch to a line as one.
But what’s even more tricky is the way they mark things, with circles rather than crosses. I think I have offended several people with this.

3 Likes

What specific problems or moments did you face in Japan, with the number difference thing
just wondering!

2 Likes

Packages delivered wrong for example!
The last problem I had was making my driving license in Japan where I needed ALL passports I had so far and every location I went was written down in the form. Because I travelled a lot in Europe they couldn’t read the dates next to the stamps of different countries. At some point I just made up something, like this was the Czech Republic and it was this and that date. It’s just that Japanese officials are nitpickers and it took like forever while being completely irrelevant for the license in my impression.

This is a date for example on the Easter package from my mother. Something like this was in my passport and it’s like totally not comprehensible here.

2 Likes

Hey belthazar, thanks for the feedback!
I keep forgetting dakutens here and there but it’s diminishing :crossed_fingers::pray::pray:

do you mean my japanese 4s or the italian wors for 4s?

I meant your numeral 4s, but mostly as a joke. Thought your first one was an h, to be honest.

1 Like

Thanks alot for the feedback, could you provide any example? I didn’t get what you mean
EDIT: I got what you mean
ps. in italy it’s also used (but not always to do both the one with only a vertical stroke and the seven without the middle orizontal tract. I also have a particular way of writing 4 but I often see at least two other variants

This is also true but I feel that since I’m studying a language I should have the least bit of decency in handwriting, and it could also be helpful because after all I’m going to write in hiragana and kanji the answers on my textbooks and if a native check them for me he/she could have problema at doing its job

1 Like

wtffff could you explain this? i don’t know both kanji you used. How is this thing? It seems important to know

You’re right haha my 4 is terrible, I need to change it.

Anyway I managed to get the correction of a native, probably 18yo on hellotalk. But I don’t know how much you can trust people of that age without knowing their academic background… for instances there are some friendos of mine who I’d never EVER ask any kind of italian language suggestions. But hey japan is 50 years ahead of my country in every aspect and the average national IQ is 10 points higher than us, so lol
anyway she just pointed out the katakana セ in the middle of the last sentence where it should have been せ and also lacking daluten on the てす、of the same line.
She also told me I don’t use periods 。this is weird because I read a togugu article and was thinking they don’t use it as much as us westerners.

Any insight on this from anyone?

百=ひゃく=100
万=まん=10,000

百万 = one hundred ten thousands = 100,0000 = 1,000,000

Basically where we group powers of ten by their thousands - one thousand (=10001), one million (=10002), one billion (=10003) and so forth - Japanese numerals, when written in kanji, are grouped by ten thousands - 万 (=10,0001), 億 (=10,0002), 兆 (=10,0003) and so forth.

When written exclusively in western numerals, though, commas are still used as thousands separators, not ten-thousands separators, so saying

is not exactly correct. Large numbers tend to be written in mixed numerals and kanji, though - for example, 15億42万.

4 Likes

I think in your situation is not really important at all but just looking at your page I thought it’s interesting that you worry about the Hiragana, which is totally fine but the numbers are totally unjapanese :sweat_smile:
This is by no way relevant but maybe it’s because there is no cursive alphabet in Japan, everyone writes alphabet like printed disconnected letters and so the numbers fit to these. Like in England I think maybe in America. No idea, we had to write the number two like on the picture in school with a loop and seven had a more complicated arc on the top. Have to ask my husband if he could read it :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks the lord :rofl::rofl:

About this, I think there has been a misunderstaing - the numerals were just for me so that when I check the list I can quickly find the number I’m looking for, I didn’t mean to write them in japanese style :joy:
but now you brung up a problem that I want to solve. Where can I study japanese numeral proper forms?

1 Like

See how bad I am with numbers! I should know there is that downstroke on the seven but completely forgot that…

4 Likes

awesome, thank you so much for sending me this. I don’t want to sound repetitive but I’m really happy and thankful of all the help I’m getting on this forum, thank you so much for real, many questions getting answered. I don’t know any japanese native except from occasional chats with hellotalk users that disappears without helping :smiling_face_with_tear:
:pray::pray::raised_hands:

the last time I saw that downstroke on a seven was probably 15 years ago

2 Likes

I’ve been doing it for almost 40 years and never knew it was prevalent in Japan.

2 Likes