Watch japanese videos and learn on the spot!

https://voracious.app/

Holly crap!!

Seems people are making better and better ways to make sure that you can watch japanese shows and learn on the spot… 'cause why won’t you be doing some hovering over to have the definition of whatever word you aren’t sure while watching a show? :smirk:
and sure, why not throw making Anki flashcards (including the audio and snapshot) on the spot with the scenes of your show to the mix as well!! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

Anyways, I’ve been progressively searching ways to cut the time spended on SRS flashcard making and reviewing… and it seems like I’ve found a killer app for that purpose :sunglasses:

Overall I would recommend this dedicated player for learning japanese to anyone working on watching shows aided with japanese subs. There’re many modes to help practice listening and reading with lots of control on individual dialogues.

PS: of course you must provide the video and correct timed subs for the whole thing to work (which using a few apps / add ons can come from Netflix, so you can have the wide selection and correct timed subs :wink: )

26 Likes

Awesome find! I’ve definitely bookmarked this!

2 Likes

Looks great! How would one do that with Netflix??? :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

There’s the Subadub add-on for Chrome and Firefox. With it you can make the subs in Netflix be selectable, and you can use Yomichan for having dictionary search on the spot as well. You can also do Anki flashcards on the spot :+1: . and download the subs in SRT format.

Then there’s the Flixgrab app (sadly only for Windows atm) where you can download content from Netflix (of course you must have an account). It was somewhat tedious to go over each individual episode, but this guy released a video to show how to generate a list with all episodes links of a show, so that got easier.

I don’t know the stand of Netflix for downloading the content using something else than the offered mechanism in the platform (grey zone :man_shrugging: ) … anyway if for personal / learning reasons without openly sharing those downloads, I don’t feel much harm it’s been done. And actually I feel with these tools Netflix became one of the best tool for learning languages.

2 Likes

(now a bit of aimless rants on these learning tools)

With all these, it kinda makes me wonder how far are we from having something like a graded selection of content with using somekind of API to keep track of our current vocab and the available subs from Netflix, Youtube, etc… a tool that could recommend us tailored content to watch, which could be watched through something like this video player :star_struck::star_struck:

I know the guys in floflo are taking a simililar approach, but more aimed at pre-studying the vocab you’re lacking before diving, and it’s somewhat more oriented to reading in this point. But then if only a few words are unknwown from a given show… been able to directly encounter those with the ability to progressively growth my vocab while watching stuff… seems like an unbeatable way of learning. (I know many people here aren’t aiming at beating the JLPT, but still having goals in this learning journey, like been able to watch a particular show, seems really stimulating, and perhaps more closely related to one’s ambitions with the language)

There’re tools to analyse the content of a show and compare that to your known vocab right now (using the subs).
There’re the unnamed japanese text analyzer and the cb4960’s Japanese Text Analysis Tool. In case anyone with the right skills it’s hearing this madman’s rants :sweat_smile::wink:

Anyway, I tend to circle this train of thoughts whenever I found some promising tool, like the one posted. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

… a windows, damn. Thank you for the reply though! I’ll have to make do. At the moment for sentences I want, I take a picture with Google translator, change it to text and copy it to the anki input. I’ve gotten the process down to a quick speed :slight_smile:

You could just download a free virtual machine and run Windows in VirtualBox or something like that. That’s what I do for subs2srs because it is just too great of a tool to not use it.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

Ooooh nice. I was using a screen recorder to get a few episodes or Daredevil for a subs2srs deck but it was too much trouble. Now I have one more good use for my Windows VM :smiley:

I’m already having a Netflix + Subadub Saturday and was wondering how to improve that process even further because while it is pretty close to perfect, it is not 100% perfect yet. Maybe Voracious is even better, I’ll definitely give it a try today, thanks so much for posting!

Edit: From what I’ve read and understood how this software works, I would only install it on a VM anyway. And just in case also change my Netflix password immediately after using it. Seems all a bit shady.

2 Likes

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: :star_struck::star_struck:

Yeah, I know… It works though, and whenever there’s have been trouble with the software they have been attentive to get it working again.
Even so since they ask you to provide your account credentials to make use of it, ideed I would advice to make sure the pw is unique to that Netflix account. :+1:

1 Like

We need to talk about https://supernative.tv , though. As far as I know it was made by the same creator(s) of voracious

4 Likes

Ah yes, that’s why I’ve heard about the app before (but for some reason never looked into it). Supernative is such a nice tool! But I somehow never get into the habit of doing it regularly. When you have content that you actually want to watch that might finally change now though.

1 Like

damn, that excludes a lot of my anime…

So 3 hours later… :smiley:
I set up a new virtual machine, got FlixGrab+ to run after some trial and error (there is also “Flixgrab” but apparently those guys stole the code from the FlixGrab+ guys? all very shady…). Downloaded subtitle files with subadub. Figured out that Voracious wants subtitle files to be named e.g. .jp.srt to recognize them. Had to update AnkiConnect to make it work but finally it is done.

And holy sh*t, best thing ever! There goes my weekend. :smiley:

I will try and add Anki cards for all words that I have to look up and that I find interesting. When that gets overwhelming, I can still go back to just watching videos this way. Either way, this is a great tool!

3 Likes

Isn’t it? :star_struck::star_struck:

I know the whole setup, download this and that and setting up the different tools for them to work in harmony can be tedious and turn off people that might be interested in the final (promised) result.

But then, when you make it work and you end up with a setup where you can actually watch wathever you’re into and then so effortlessly create your own reviewing material… it feels like the line between study mode and actually using the language gets thinner. And if you don’t feel like “studying” at some point you can just lay back and enjoy the rest of the show… or even turning back those english subs if you really feel you have had too much japanese for the day (specially at the beginning).

But the thing it’s that it’s EASY to learn, enjoyable and probably that way has a better chance to make you comming back for more than most of the alternatives currently available.

I’m looking into setting a similar enviroment for Kindle, as to create easy flashcards with the words I encounter in my readings… there’s something too, if it gets to be this effortless It’s looking like this for japanese learning:

FilthyGorgeousFurseal-small

2 Likes

What do you put in your anki cards while using this app? For example, audio on front and type-in answer on back, or just certain words you don’t know with a deck for the reading and one for the meaning? Or both?
I’d be grateful if you could share some tips/ideas

Also, what’s your favourite mode? Quick check, reading, listening ?

I’ve only tried the app for about a week, so I can’t say I have a “favourite mode”. But so far I’m using the “Quick check” mode, since I’m working more on listening when watching shows and “listening mode” seems to pause on every line.

It’s really convenient for this setting, since the subs are blurred, but still pressing arrow down will repeat that scene and give you the subs, for when I don’t get a line and where there’s one word that seems specially relevant or just caught my attention.

Then I try to aim at this:
(front) (there the line of text has furigana on hovering over, in case it’s kanji I haven’t met before.
card

(back) w/ audio

The second line should be the definition provided with an external dictionary loaded in the app (I’ve managed to load 新明解国語辞典 to provide a J-J definition).

So far I haven’t manage to copy / paste the information from the pop up dictionary, so I’m doing the extra search in qolibry to add the definition; though I’ve send an email to the developer as I presume it’s a fairly easy function to add.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response!

1 Like

you and I think alike, I also sent the poor guy a "you rock, your apps rock. btw. could you please add the following features… " message :innocent:

I’ve set my cards up a bit differently. I like them to be super easy and rather do a lot of them and keep if fun. Maybe I will increase the difficulty later but for now I prefer this approach. Since there is audio, an image and a scene that my brain can connect the word to, I remember it anyway after a while (my teacher must already be so sick of hearing me say “oh that’s a word I learned from a Shirokuma Café flash card!” in my bad Japanese).

I have audio, screenshot and key vocabulary on the front. On the back I have all those things again (I like hearing the audio twice) plus the entire sentence with Furigana and dictionary entries that I generated with https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1015321168

The reading of the selected word and meaning of the selected word are also things I currently have to fill in myself but I hope the app will provide support for this at some point.

1 Like

Ok, a month has passed after I give it a try to Voracious.

Initially very timidly, but these last week I’ve made it into a routine, and I must say it’s hands down the best tool for me right now :star_struck::star_struck:.

I was looking for something to make the whole immersion and reviewing process more closely related (so my issue was: I watch something → promply reviewing new vocab). Hopefully with not much time spended creating cards.

Then I’ve been working on my listening for the last months, mainly through watching raw media. This has been great, BUT, the content has to be very well selected in order for this to work. Vocab cannot be too complicated and most important there has to be visual aids in the show. So that has left me mainly with action anime and some drama that has a “rather simple” plot (in my case japanese gourmet “eating” series :man_shrugging:) . For anime if there’s enough context the plot is well taken care of most of the time and then the dialogues have been fairly ok in the understanding department…
but the way to get new vocab it wasn’t very effective. Basically I’ll listen a word several times, so I would guess it’s something important, will try to write it be ear or otherwise will turn on the japanese subs. Not a whole lot of vocab was comming this way … cause well, it’s easier to just watch the show :sweat_smile:

These last 2 weeks I’ve started watching a couple of dramas: マザー and 女囚セブン. Thing was the the pace was no action anime like… and the visual clues were there, but nothing like anime is… so unlike anime, dramas didn’t seem to fit the bill the way I was doing things. And truth be told I’m realizing I’m not that much into anime :man_shrugging: … … so I wanted to do something to actually watch something else, and not have to wait too much…

So I threw those dramas into Voracious, and went over the first chapters of both series, taking me something like double the amount of what the episode lasted (about 2 hours for a 50 min episode). But wow!! What a pleasure!! Listening line by-line, tapping down will unblur the japanese subs, tapping up will repeat the line. I can hover over the subs and I’ll have the english AND the japanese definition (I added a japanese dictionary). Then simply pressing the “E” key will create an Anki card with the audio line, the image and the definition that I add, which for me it’s almost all there’s in my cards… so not much I have to do to add them to my vocab review routine.

A single 50min episode usualy brought about 40-70 new vocab cards. So now I was having porbably too much vocab cards, so I had to choose the important ones

The setup I came up for this was actually quite similar to what guys here using floflo are doing.

I exported those new cards from anki to a CVS file, copy/pasted the column with the words to an Evernote note. And using Evernote onlline I can use Yomichan on those words. Having the frecuency list (from the Innocent Corpus) with Yomichan I can see clearly the common words. AND in any case I can also search in Anki (where I keep a collection of sentences from the same shows I’ve watched, bia the Subs2SRS magic) so I can see If it’s actually used in my shows.

Yeah that was a long post, but since it’s a fairlly new tool, and probably not many people are aware of it I felt I shoud do this shout out :hugs:

Some images of the workflow I’ve mention:

The creating a card with Voracious while watching the show:
voracious1

Looking frecuency in word list with Yomichan in the list of words (the Innocent Corpus line)

Re-checking for frecuency among my shows in Anki.

voracious2.

The final card when reviewing (highlighting the word in the sentence and sample audio for word alone added in Anki, both taking about 10 secs per card :+1:)

Somewhat of a tutorial “ish” post. Probably I’ll be rewriting a proper post with more details at some point. For now I just wanted to share my amusement :sweat_smile:

@irrelephant , how are you doing it? I know you were equally fascinated by it :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, and I still absolutely love it!

I’m hoping that maybe one day the Voracious functionality would come to the browser and then it would be possible to use the original Yomichan extension. Then I could select to only include vocabulary from N5 to N3 but at the moment, I’m just selecting everything that interests me.

For me, it is also around 1 vocab per minute, so it is a lot of cards. But I don’t have time to do this often (work is keeping me quite busy during the week these days) and I keep my Anki cards very easy (sound + key word + screenshot on front of the card) so doing a lot of these cards during the week doesn’t feel too much at the moment.

I’m currently already generating reading for the key word and a dictionary for all words in the sentence in Anki so I would not mind it if there was another plugin I would have to run in batch.

Maybe https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1612642956 could be an option to make the process faster? Then one could put the frequency data in an additional field and while adding new cards it would be possible to suspend the cards that don’t have a high frequency.

1 Like

:open_mouth::open_mouth:

yes It was!!! Thanks! The frecuency list used seems to be the same one for Yomichan (its description mentions +50,000 books, same as the Innocent Corpus)
That has trimmed the routine even more :hugs:
So now it’s all in Anki, ordering by general frecuency and in the same place checking the relative frecuency :ok_hand:

The developer seems pretty confident that he should be able to pull it… :eyes: