Want to write Kanji?

Hello Wanikani Community! :wave:

I’m learning Japanese for almost 3 years. 2 years ago, when I was jobless for a few months, I started writing Kanji, according to the strokes. It was fun; it was interesting, it was engaging.
After that, I got a job, moved to Tokyo. It was then when I was introduced to Wanikani. Wanikani said

It’s the future, and everything is digital!

I agreed because it’s true. :expressionless:

I don’t write Kanji anywhere except when I’m filling the forms in offices.
But I didn’t forget the joy of stroking through Kanjis. :smirk:

A few weeks ago, I decided to practice writing. I wanted the practice to sync with Wanikani levels. Apps did not help me because I’m a paper person. I prefer a pencil over a stylus at any time. The feeling of pen/pencil scribbling on paper is priceless. I looked online, but there were few websites where I could download practice sheets, and those weren’t up to my satisfaction. :pensive:

I’m a coder, so I decided to solve this for myself; I wrote a script to generate these printable sheets. :sunglasses:

I proudly showed those to my colleague who asked for the PDFs, so that his cousin could practice. Then I understood, it’s not just me! There are other people in the world looking for the same thing, so I made the script better and put those PDFs on a website. :man_technologist:t2:

If you are a paper person, you can download the PDFs by Wanikani levels of JLPT levels if you are interested. :hugs:

Now, this part may feel like a promotion, but it’s helpful for me & others: If you like it, please share it with others, and if possible, star the GitHub page to let me know that I did well. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

P.S. I’m on L28, by the way, and I plan to finish L35 before this year’s JLPT exam. Appearing for N3.
:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

Update

I moved the website to kanji.sh.
The PDFs are there on write page.

246 Likes

Your link has a typo, by the way.

That aside, the site looks really cool! This looks like a really great resource, and I’m glad you’ve made it–I’ll probably start using it when I want to start focusing on writing more. (Probably in preparation for study abroad language classes.)

3 Likes

For those other people who get stumped like me, it’s supposed to be https://kanji-printer.web.app

Kani printer sounds kinda snazzy though…

6 Likes

Oh! I edited the post to correct the link. Guess I was too nervous for my first post :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

9 Likes

Wow, thanks for this!

1 Like

These are fantastic! Thank you so much for making them! I have tried to get into writing before using Skritter, but I really dislike writing things out with my finger, this will give me that much desired pen-on-paper feeling.

ありがとうございます!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I wrote a post to ask for something similar only a few days ago.

@curiousjp also shared some of his work here

And while looking this up, I also eventually stumbled on a post by @suchmaske here

Good luck for the N3!

4 Likes

thanks for your work.
:high_touch:

2 Likes

This is great, fantastic job!

1 Like

Curse you, I can’t do any of this.

Very nice site. I’ll try some writing.

8 Likes

You may do the opposite: Learning to Read by practice Writing!

2 Likes

Oooh! Now I have a reason to buy the sparkly brush pens I saw at Loft the other day!

9 Likes

Very nice! ^>^ I’ve been putting off practicing writing long enough. Time to give it some real practice!

2 Likes

This really is awesome. I had no intention on learning to write, but this might make me change my mind!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for putting this together, will definitely use this :slight_smile:
For me, writing the kanjis out next to using wanikani helps with memorising the kanjis a lot, so this is a great tool.

Writing the Kanjis is really fun and satisfying so I encourage anyone who hasn’t gotten into that yet to give it a go.

5 Likes

Respect! 

4 Likes

1 Like

Wow that’s super helpful thank you! I love writing kanji, and nothing beats pencil on paper. If anyone’s interested, I can share my two cents on how I practice writing.
Since I don’t always have time to write kanji, here’s my method.
When I’m first learning new wanikani kanji, I look up the stroke order using the tanoshiijapanese website. Then, every time I do my reviews, I “air write” the strokes using my finger on my desk/computer. That way, even if my handwriting for the kanji would still look messy, I’m drilling the stroke order at the same frequency I’m drilling the word meaning. It helps it stick and takes up the least time during reviews. Killing two birds with one stone, basically.

8 Likes

These are excellent! Perfectly made, all the information I want about the kanji while practicing it.

Thank you.

1 Like

Very cool! If I had one suggestion, it would be to perhaps include an option for a zipped folder with worksheets in it for the different categories you have listed. For example you could group all JLPT files into one, or for WK do them in groups of 10. Do note this might just be my data horder tendencies coming to light here, so grain of salt. Thank you!

6 Likes