Simple writing practice sheets

Those sheets are amazing! Thank you so much!
May I make a suggestion? I think it will be even helpful if you can include the stroke orders.

1 Like

Those include stroke order iirc, but also do include readings and english definitions. Maybe they’re to your liking. They where also created by someone on these forums, sadly I cant seem to find the original thread.

6 Likes

The sheets use stroke order font. Check the small numbers next to the kanji strokes. They indicate the beginning of each stroke and their sequence.

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses everyone! I am so happy you like them, they were fun to make too!

@mnkurniati As @rwesterhof mentions the kanji are printed in the stroke order font which has (tiny) numbers positioned next to the starting point of each stroke. They printed pretty clearly on a laser printer I have access to. If there is any interest I can make a version with larger practice boxes and so larger kanji - that way the stroke orders would appear more clearly. I’ll mess around with making some new variations.

@GrumpyPanda Those are great too! Plus they are on a really nice website. Kanji.sh was definitely an inspiration for my efforts, though my approach was to minimize the “extras” like more readings and meanings. But if you want those things, Kanji.sh is the way to go!

@Beebeechan Thanks! I find writing practice fun too and wanted to make some sheets that enabled me to also refresh my knowledge of the main (mostly onyomi) readings of kanji and get some much needed katakana practice.

@Michiru Glad you find them useful!

@sansarret You are most welcome!

@RoseWagsBlue Thanks! More fun with LaTex! I had forgotten how much I liked messing around with typesetting and making documents until your work got me thinking in that direction again!

And of course @prouleau deserves mention here too since I used the Item Inspector script to get access to the WK data, conveniently organized into custom csv files!

5 Likes

There is something satisfying about manipulating the details of the structure of the form of a document. Tweaking things to produce a printed document in just the right form. Only something that gives you access to the inner workings of typesetting really does this.
As you have found, it is an extremely time consuming process. But the results, and the process, are art.

This captures it to me:

2 Likes

Yes this has certainly been true for me! I started using LaTeX many years ago to make slides for presentations in a symbolic logic class I was teaching because I detest Powerpoint and found it far too limited for typesetting technical math stuff. It was hard labor to say the least but also very satisfying to make cool looking slides and documents from the bottom up, with form following function so to speak. Since then I have learned something about writing computer code and my WK projects have led me to explore ways to write FAR less code manually and automate production – LaTeX is a programming language as well, albeit a fairly clunky one, but for loops and other control structures are definitely doable and without them building documents in my old hard-code everything from scratch methods would have made things like this impossible. Plus I have been learning sed and awk and other basic *nix CLI tools to process text files and that has helped enormously.

1 Like

@aruke is the author and here is the original thread mentioning Kanji.sh:

1 Like

Well, today’s project was adding versions with smaller and bigger kanji.

Large kanji (4 per sheet) are good for practicing with a smallish brush (or a sharpie).

Smaller kanji (8 per sheet) save paper and are closer to handwriting size – hopefully the stroke orders are still visible.

Let me know if any links on the page in the top post point to the wrong sheets. That was the most tedious part of it all – adding the links.

2 Likes

I’m so in love with these writing sheets!!! Thank you soooo much!!! Will you also be making them for the vocabulary? :smiley::pray::bowing_woman:t2:

1 Like

Thanks so much!!! As for vocabulary, hmmmm. I am thinking about what to do next, but I will soon likely run out of free time to mess around with coding stuff, because of work and such. I was thinking of doing something like making some calligraphy practice sheets with a handful of two or three kanji combinations. Perhaps something along the lines of common two kanji words with pronunciation in kana would be feasible using the basic approach I have been following which is essentially using text files as a primitive database which are then parsed and fed into LaTex files. Anyway, I am happy you like these and will ponder (or most likely obsess over!) the possibilities for extending this project. :slight_smile:

Oh and I’ll add some links to the writing practice sheets site that point to a couple of other typesetting projects I’ve been working on, like flashcards and other related things that you might like…

1 Like

Yes, I would like to see your other work. I like your style. It’s very clean. Where can I find the link? I struggle with all this technology :pensive:

I can’t even figure out how to do the quote part in a reply. :pensive:

1 Like

Just highlight some text in the post you are replying to and a “quote” button appears - click it! :slight_smile:

Here’s a link to the WK things I have been working on, and if you navigate up by clicking on the GWM at the top and then go to the “personal” section you can see links to the other Japanese language stuff I’ve done lately…

1 Like

Amazing!!!:hugs::hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Success!!! Love the vocab cards. The full sheet is nice as is (uncut) for a review. Love the layout and clean look. Thank you again.

1 Like

Thanks once again! And Happy New Year!

Happy new year to you too!!!

Wanted to share this with you!!!

I love writing and miss it. So I printed levels 6-30 only then took that to be bound at the print shop for $4.99! And there you have it, a WK writing booklet. I’m so happy with it. Thank you. I wrote the English on the bottom of the page. It’s nice that you didn’t include it because it’s like an exercise.

I find that the sample kanji is helpful to refer to. I’m able to compare my writing with the sample. Sometimes I noticed I added a hook etc. I can see how the placement and sizing should be. It’s helpful because Japanese students have the teacher point out little things like that in school. However, self learners need to do that on their own.

Thank you again for sharing your projects.

I’m trying to remember who made the pages I used for the booklet on the left. I’ll search and add it once I find it. Or if someone knows who made those sheets, please share.

I know it’s the same thing in the website, but sometimes old school is nice. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Wow, that’s fantastic! And I love Totoro on the cover! Not to mention your writing skills… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I added some calligraphy practice sheets for working on your brush work! I’m really happy with the way they turned out. They are made with a really nice font that was hand drawn by a calligraphy master named Norio Nagayama. There’s a bunch of two kanji words – mostly Buddhist terms and names from the Buddhist tradition, but some more generic kinds of things you might want to write in calligraphy (I have a set of holiday cards I have been working on, that will end up as Chinese New Year cards at this point!), and some terms from Dogen (NOT the youtube guy, but the orginal, the founder of the Soto school of zen). If anyone has any two character words or terms they’d like included let me know and I can add them!

You can print them on newsprint too – at least it worked on my printer. It’s a nice, lightweight paper that can be gotten from art supply stores and works well for calligraphy practice – plus it’s cheap.

Letter size

A4 Size

1 Like

I recently picked up an amazing brush pen and have been enjoying working on smaller calligraphic writing, so I figured I should make some brush practice sheets! Here’s a sample, the other levels are available at the link in the first post. I also recently added some kana practice sheets. Enjoy!

1 Like

Hello. Im not too clever at computers and stuff is there a way you can send these sheets to an app so that you can practice writting them on a tablet? Is it possible to send them to One Note. Or please can you suggest a way which is efficient and affective please as im struggling to find an effective method and organising my own learning method.