Wanikani's new update

What’s with all the hate for the WaniKani update?? has it changed some things and made them worse or changed the meanings or something???

2 Likes

Haven’t looked much into it, but there’s some stuff like the summary report removed, and lots of scripts have broken, making them need updates, but people don’t really want to wait for the updates. UI is a bit different too.

I mean there was definitely advance notice to this, but I can’t say much since I’m not a script dev

8 Likes

People have invested a lot of time and money into a service for it to be radically changed with basically no communication with or input from the userbase.

A message in the API forum is not communication.

I’m not saying the updates are not going to be an improvement in the future, the problem is that they are pretty clearly a step back in the now.

It should have been an incremental change, not just in one big whack.

At the end of the day, useful study is massively dictated by good habits and workflow, that has been shaken up for nearly every user on here.

6 Likes

“But the plans were on display…”

“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Douglas Adams

7 Likes

This.
Small example: I just did a review session and had 1/5 of my reviews wrong only because I use a script to pair meaning and reading and out of habit typed the corresponding meaning of the reading card I just did a second earlier.
That, and typos. I can’t review without the typo script.
I’ll be using the mobile apps from now on

2 Likes

? I’m lost…

1 Like

I think the update is fine. I like the way the hotkeys work now. There seems to be more info when you drop down more info which is nice.

Adding synonyms to lessons is a big plus.

At first I wasn’t sure about the review screen being gone cause I always look at that accuracy, but it was probably a detriment anyway as low accuracy makes me mad. I can still look it up externally which is better. So this is a plus as those screen are just extra clicks

I don’t really use many scripts, but I can understand the frustration when your favorite script breaks. However they will be updated, and if not you can’t expect wanikani’s development to cater to abandoned addons.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.