Wanikani Override Userscript 1.1.2 ("Ignore Answer" Button) [No longer supported]

sumairu said...
It will be useful to avoid sending some items about to be burned down to guru (like 怒) because you answered "Anger" instead of "Angry".

That distinction would be more valid if they gave us the part of speech, but I guess the difference in language structure makes that quite hard.
It's out of the scope of this thread, but I also wish there was like a error form, so you could hover over a kanji/vocab and report reading errors, additions, additional synonyms. They could feed that to a spread sheet or something and filter out the most popular demanded changes. I sound like I'm complaining about everything, but I actually love this site. Just thinking that it would be even cooler with more features.

sumairu said...It will be useful to avoid sending some items about to be burned down to guru (like 怒) because you answered "Anger" instead of "Angry".
 Kanji meanings piss me off with how their exact meaning is mostly an arbitrary choice. Is this case the kanji meaning in practice is "words connected to anger" or something like that. Whether you remember it as "anger" or "angry" won't make any impact in your usage of the language. Usually I just look it up if I'm not sure what's the exact phrasing of the meaning.
Satoshi said.. Kanji meanings piss me off with how their exact meaning is mostly an arbitrary choice. Is this case the kanji meaning in practice is "words connected to anger" or something like that. Whether you remember it as "anger" or "angry" won't make any impact in your usage of the language. Usually I just look it up if I'm not sure what's the exact phrasing of the meaning.
You're not alone. Radical and Kanji meanings are too strict, IMO, since they're only supposed to be ideas and not a strict meaning. To make it faster I just used Firebug to enable the "Item details" button even before answering the question... Now, with this script however, I no longer need to fear such "mistakes".

This is awesome script! I just tried it on Firefox with 4 reviews and was initially trying to intentionally put wrong answers on two items but ended up making an actual honest reading typos on one and one more wrong answer because WK doesn’t accept “strict prohibition” for “strictly prohibited”.

I also tried it on the dev site, and it works as well.

raito789 said... This is awesome script! I just tried it on Firefox with 4 reviews and was initially trying to intentionally put wrong answers on two items but ended up making an actual honest reading typos on one and one more wrong answer because WK doesn't accept "strict prohibition" for "strictly prohibited".

I also tried it on the dev site, and it works as well.
Glad you find it useful. Also, I guess that's good, too. Not that I use the dev website, but still.

This… looks amazing.

Why does it say extensions cant be added from that site?
Edit: fixed it by downloading it with save as, and dragging it onto the extensions page.
Edit 2: it’s not working.
Edit 3: okay, installed Tampermonkey and it works! Kind of. It still puts my review percentage down.

sugoida said... Why does it say extensions cant be added from that site?
I suppose you're using Chrome, right? Google recently decided to wall off their garden (following Apple's footsteps I guess) and so extensions can now only be installed from the Chrome Web Store without workarounds. It's not a real problem here though, since the script does not work natively with Google Chrome anyways due to it not correctly supporting the Greasemonkey API.

Instead, install Tampermonkey - basically a Greasemonkey port for Chrome. Using that, you can install the extension from that website (it'll ask you to press "Ok" to install through Tampermonkey which you want, or "Cancel" to install natively).
ruipgpinheiro said...
sugoida said... Why does it say extensions cant be added from that site?
I suppose you're using Chrome, right? Google recently decided to wall off their garden (following Apple's footsteps I guess) and so extensions can now only be installed from the Chrome Web Store without workarounds. It's not a real problem here though, since the script does not work natively with Google Chrome anyways due to it not correctly supporting the Greasemonkey API.

Instead, install Tampermonkey - basically a Greasemonkey port for Chrome. Using that, you can install the extension from that website (it'll ask you to press "Ok" to install through Tampermonkey which you want, or "Cancel" to install natively).
 Thank you.
sugoida said... Edit 3: okay, installed Tampermonkey and it works! Kind of. It still puts my review percentage down.
 What do you mean? The percentage on the top-right of the page? As stated in the main post,

Known Issues:

- The statistics shown at the top-right of the screen aren't updated. Since they're merely cosmetic, fixing this isn't a priority.
those aren't updated and will act as if you got the answer wrong. To confirm it's working, after getting something wrong and ignoring that answer using this script, complete that item (answer both the Meaning and Reading for it correctly to complete it's review cycle). Then once you get your next question or complete all the reviews, the "Session Stats" button should update and show that the item was not downgraded, and you should be able to check the item status on it's page and confirm that.

Once I get some time to do some more deobfuscating of the Wanikani client-side review code (it's pretty much a pain), I'll see whether I can fix this. It's merely cosmetic, so I'm not too worried.

After moaning since I joined WK that there is no need for a typo button, I am installing this. I too often type ‘concepts’ for kanji meanings, and have already made mistakes similar to ‘anger/angry’ enough times to ignore me. I am also a very rubbish typist (I am very often typing with my wrong hand while eating, or typing lying down, or typing in the dark) and have become used to allowing my typos to go through. Suddenly it’s so much stricter and correcting takes too long/is annoying. No thanks! Ignore my answer please!

Win.

This is working great for me in Chrome! Thank you!!

Well, the spell-checker has been changed again and I’m ok again now! Lol! I guess, in principle, I should get rid of the userscript and go back to my typo-button hating ways (especially since I’ve only had to use it twice since installing), but I won’t!

Yes. I am a hypocrite. Or I live and learn? Yeah, that sounds better, let’s go with that one!

Senjougahara said...
sumairu said...
It will be useful to avoid sending some items about to be burned down to guru (like 怒) because you answered "Anger" instead of "Angry".

That distinction would be more valid if they gave us the part of speech, but I guess the difference in language structure makes that quite hard.
It's out of the scope of this thread, but I also wish there was like a error form, so you could hover over a kanji/vocab and report reading errors, additions, additional synonyms. They could feed that to a spread sheet or something and filter out the most popular demanded changes. I sound like I'm complaining about everything, but I actually love this site. Just thinking that it would be even cooler with more features.

Well, you can send them an email. There is, also, a report error button at the bottom of the review page (I never used it since I tried it months ago and it was broken). But you have to be prepared to wait a long time before you see that change happen (Maybe, you will never see it unless Koichi wants to).
Try your luck!

Satoshi said...
sumairu said...It will be useful to avoid sending some items about to be burned down to guru (like 怒) because you answered "Anger" instead of "Angry".
 Kanji meanings piss me off with how their exact meaning is mostly an arbitrary choice. Is this case the kanji meaning in practice is "words connected to anger" or something like that. Whether you remember it as "anger" or "angry" won't make any impact in your usage of the language. Usually I just look it up if I'm not sure what's the exact phrasing of the meaning.
 I often do this with my important kanji. I hate to be delayed from leveling up a day or two because of that.
EskimoJo said... Well, the spell-checker has been changed again and I'm ok again now! Lol! I guess, in principle, I should get rid of the userscript and go back to my typo-button hating ways (especially since I've only had to use it twice since installing), but I won't!

Yes. I am a hypocrite. Or I live and learn? Yeah, that sounds better, let's go with that one!
 Do whatever you think is best for your learning process. If you think you'll use it to cheat, then it's best if you never use it and sacrifice those few items, which get downleveled because of simple typos or using the meaning you learned from outside WK, for the greater good. 

I used to cheat when I first joined WK. Till now, level 3, 4 & 5 kanji and vocab is the hardest for me to recollect. Some of those items were enlightened but when I was about to burn them I totally forgot their meaning or reading so they were dropped to Guru. A few were dropped from Buned to Guru twice! So, I'll never make that mistake again and cheat. Now, my memory retention is way better. My Enlightened and Burned count is increasing by the minute. The good part is that I really know the meaning and reading of those items. I'm happy.

Downloading this app will make doing reviews less stressful for me. Also, will make future reviews more pleasant, too. Having many items downleveled (NOT because you don't know their reading/meaning) is pointless and will overwhelm you. 300-400 reviews a day is more than enough.

I wish this app existed when some items like 父 were dropped to Guru because I answered Father instead of Dad (I know, it's less formal than father, but still)
or 無料 when I answered Free of Charge or No Charge (I'm not sure) when the "correct" answer is Free and Without Charge. Just to mention a few. *sigh* 

I think the ignore function isn’t too great to use at lower levels, when the words and definitions are fairly straightforward, but when you  start getting into abstract concepts or more whimsical radical names, it ends up being worth having.  As far as the first 10 levels of radicals go, I had the biggest beef with answering “scythe” for “sickle”, “cape” for “cloak”, “crocodile” for “alligator”, “tail fin” for “fish tail”, and never remembering “Sauron”.

Could you make this a hotkey? Not sure what button. Something easy to press.

sugoida said... Could you make this a hotkey? Not sure what button. Something easy to press.
 tilde is a great key that's nearly unused, and doesn't serve any built-in functionality like CAPS.
sumairu said...
EskimoJo said... Well, the spell-checker has been changed again and I'm ok again now! Lol! I guess, in principle, I should get rid of the userscript and go back to my typo-button hating ways (especially since I've only had to use it twice since installing), but I won't!

Yes. I am a hypocrite. Or I live and learn? Yeah, that sounds better, let's go with that one!
 Do whatever you think is best for your learning process. If you think you'll use it to cheat, then it's best if you never use it and sacrifice those few items, which get downleveled because of simple typos or using the meaning you learned from outside WK, for the greater good. 

I used to cheat when I first joined WK. Till now, level 3, 4 & 5 kanji and vocab is the hardest for me to recollect. Some of those items were enlightened but when I was about to burn them I totally forgot their meaning or reading so they were dropped to Guru. A few were dropped from Buned to Guru twice! So, I'll never make that mistake again and cheat. Now, my memory retention is way better. My Enlightened and Burned count is increasing by the minute. The good part is that I really know the meaning and reading of those items. I'm happy.

Downloading this app will make doing reviews less stressful for me. Also, will make future reviews more pleasant, too. Having many items downleveled (NOT because you don't know their reading/meaning) is pointless and will overwhelm you. 300-400 reviews a day is more than enough.

I wish this app existed when some items like 父 were dropped to Guru because I answered Father instead of Dad (I know, it's less formal than father, but still)
or 無料 when I answered Free of Charge or No Charge (I'm not sure) when the "correct" answer is Free and Without Charge. Just to mention a few. *sigh* 
No, I've kept it! For most review sessions I forget it's there, even when I typo, but I usually remember if I am very annoyed at the typo or the 'mistake that shouldn't be a mistake because kanji had no context and I understood the concept of the kanji'.

I guess I'm not as big of a cheat as I thought! That, or I'm even more forgetful than I thought!

Updated.

1.0.2 (29 July 2013)
- Made ‘~’ a hotkey, as requested by some users of the Wanikani forums.
- Script now updates the question count and error count correctly.