Get an even progression across radicals, kanji, and vocabulary with this script: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/34858-wanikani-lesson-balance. This script will have you doing more of your vocabulary earlier. So no more “Congratulations! You’ve leveled up! And now you need to work on 120 vocab!”
In the extreme your progress could look like this (very close to balanced):
E.g. this is what my lesson starting level 8 looked like:
More realistically (unless you always keep your lessons at zero - I always have plenty waiting for me), then with this script your progress will look a lot like this:
Note that this dashboard information is from Userscript: Dashboard Level Progress Detail (srs stages on progress bars).
Here’s a log of screenshots showing my progression from level 6 to 7 with this script.
If you’re curious as to how this works the mechanics are:
- Detect when the lesson has started, or the lesson has been continued.
- Leave the order alone for anything from an earlier level.
- Reorder the remaining subjects so that the percentage of radicals, kanjis, and vocab stay equal (with vocab > kanji > radical as tie breaker).
- When picking a subject select the one that unlocks the most (i.e. pick the radical that unlocks the most kanji and indirectly vocab, pick the kanji that unlocks the most vocab, or pick any vocab).
- If it’s impossible to, say, pick a vocab because they’re all locked then the script will allow the radicals, kanjis, and vocab to get unbalanced. It won’t stop you from learning!
I’ve tested this script out on myself for a full level and a half. I think I’ve ironed out all the bugs. If you find a bug, please do let me know! I’m also open to sharing what I’ve learned about writing reorder scripts because it wasn’t at all intuitive. (Big thanks to @rfindley for helping me get started)
If you like this script, you might also like some other things I’ve been up to:
- Userscript: Dashboard Level Progress Detail (srs stages on progress bars)
- Leech training script
- Leeches screensaver
- Dashboard Userscript: Leech, Apprentice, and Guru detail (aka SRS level progress)
Original post (just to keep the replies in context):
Take a look at this:
Or just these snippets:
What you’re looking at is a visualization of the dependencies of vocab -> kanji -> radicals on level 5.
What I’m thinking is that these can be rearranged in order to maximize the unlock rate, or that they can be organized by some other criteria (such as most troublesome for most people first).
I may experiment on myself by making a reorder script that aims to unlock the most vocabulary the soonest. Hmm. Hmm…