Level up criteria

Quick question, I just hit level 3 but I haven’t learned half the level 2 vocab yet, is leveling up solely based on hitting guru on radicals and kanji?

3 Likes

Technically speaking, the only criteria for leveling up is reaching guru on 90% of the level’s kanji. Of course, for most levels (all levels early on), you need to guru the radicals first to unlock enough kanji to be able to hit the 90% kanji mark.

9 Likes

So is it possible to hit level 60 without doing any vocab? I know you’d be doing yourself a disservice, just a funny thought that crossed my mind

2 Likes

It’s possible if you use a userscript to skip them. With WaniKani’s default settings, either they will be forced on you based on the lesson ordering (set to “Ascending level then subject” or “Ascending level then shuffled”) or your lessons are selected randomly (set to “Shuffled”), which would still make getting no vocab lessons ever as statistical impossibility.

3 Likes

I believe wanikani doesn’t allow you to level up if you’re still missing vocab from the last level. EX: Using the reorder script for vocab for level 2, then leveling up to level 3 and did all radicals/kanji but no vocab = no leveling to 4.

1 Like

That’s not the case. We’ve discussed on the forums how that would be a nice improvement to the system, but unless they changed this without an announcement, that’s not how it currently works.

9 Likes

I can confirm that it is not the case yet.

3 Likes

Ohh my bad I thought that was implanted already. I don’t know since I don’t use the reorder script anyways. Thanks for clearing that up!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.