Wanikani July JLPT Community Event (aka Joint Mock JLPT on July 4th, home thread)

Whelp, might as well. N4 in July, here we go! Grammar-wise I’m pretty much prepared, though vocab-wise and kanji-wise I’ll have some work to do.

4 Likes

I had no intention of doing the JLPT any time soon, but this sounds fun. Hopefully this will give me the kick I need to get started on Bunpro (my ‘study strategy’ as shared here is more aspirational than not, as my free time is limited). I doubt I’ll be at a level to pass by July, but it’s worth a try!

5 Likes

I put me down for the N5
I fell like I could pass it right now but the N4 is still way to difficult. I barrely scratched the grammar for N4 and we don’t talk about vacabulary.
So I think N5 is realistic. N4 is a goal for latter in the year.

3 Likes

I’ve been studying N1 grammar every day for the past few months, using the videos from Nihongo no Mori. I would write everything down on paper like the boomer I am, and every so often go back all the way and read all of my notes before going to sleep.

But they just deleted all of their 100+ N1 videos before I could finish :expressionless: just when I got a good rhythm going

Still I think I’ll try the N1 test, hopefully I find another way of studying grammar soon.

4 Likes

ooh, i’m signing up for this :smiley:

i’m pretty sure i can manage N5, and i think i might just be able to do N4, so i’ll sign up for both :wink:

i’m definitely a study alone person, but i’ll be checking what ressources and tips everybody posts, and sharing any of mine which seem relevant ^^

3 Likes

I’m hoping I can pass the N4 by July, but I’m going to try both N5 and N4, so I can decide if I want to try N4 or N3 for December. I’m hoping to be through Genki 2 and the Minna No Nihongo book equivalent by then and use other resources to supplement my learning. Does anyone with JLPT experience know if that’ll be enough for the N4?

1 Like

N4 might be a bit of a stretch for me, but I decided to sign up to challenge myself and give myself some accountability to sit down and work through some grammar. Looking forward to studying along with everyone. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Didn’t they recently switch to a subscription model? Maybe they moved the videos there…

5 Likes

WAIT WHAT I didn’t know this omg. Will they be replaced with new videos? I was planning on using those videos oh nooooo

ETA

I see… That’s so sad, one of the best parts about nihongonomori was that they provided good resources that were available for free D: I mean on the other hand it was already kind of a miracle that such good resources were available for free at all. I’ll go check it out.

4 Likes

Yeah and it’s nearly $10 a month… on one hand it seems a little expensive but on the other hand it looks extremely well thought out and put together. https://nihongonomori.com/our-plan

3 Likes

I’m very indecisive so im still thinking of a strategy. I have MnN and SKZ N3 grammar book maybe i will revisit them. I have other referrnces and textbooks as well, like Tobira and Genki, but I havent opened them, i dont think i will xD. I think the resources I have are already enough to help me pass N3 but Im too undisciplined and lazy to study them xD I have jp class 2 hrs a week with topics aiming for N3 but our schedule and topic outline is not yet finalized.

As ive suggested in the other thread, regardless whether i study or not, ill do mock for mock but divided within weekends:

May & June weekends
=> Week 1 Vocab part of a mock exam
=> week 2 grammar
=> week 3 reading
=> week 4 listening

3 Likes

Signed up! Great idea as this will be the third JLPT test I haven’t been able to do thanks to our loving friend, Covid-19.

4 Likes

Adding myself in to participate! I took the Dungmori N4 practice test in July last year and passed that, so I’m signing up to do N4 again to see if I’ve had an improvement in score.

Also signing up for N3! Though I’m not aiming to be N3 ready by December this year due to wanting to give myself the ‘easy’ option for my first time stepping foot in an exam hall in many years, seeing which areas I do the worst in will be useful for redirecting studies with plenty of time still left to prepare for July 2021. :sparkles:

4 Likes

Putting this here for personal accountability. My mental health took a big hit these past few weeks, but I’m hoping I’ll still be able to participate with you guys and get a passing score.

If I do pass, I’m going to sign up to take the N2 this winter! And if that gets cancelled, then it’s the N1 in 2022! Moving ever forward no matter the challenge! :muscle: :sparkles:

** (updated again bc reality bites. RIP my lofty ambitions) **

Daily:

• Anki (keep pending reviews down to 100 or less)
  • finish all WaniKani reviews

Weekly:

• 3+ hours practice reading
  • study 15 new N3 grammar points & make flashcards
8 Likes

If I remember correctly that should be enough to cover at least the grammar you need for the N4! This post on reddit seems to indicate that too. Since there are no official lists or anything for the JLPT levels it’s difficult to say whether you cover everything, but it should be enough to pass. In my experience, I’m always behind on things like vocabulary, especially vocab that isn’t taught on Wanikani (so hiragana/katakana vocabulary). So using textbooks and other supplemental materials sounds like a really good way to improve all your skills enough to pass the N4!

I like how you’ve split things up by skill :open_mouth: I try to do a bit of everything everyday, but I might be able to go in more deeply if I focus on one or two skills everyday… So instead of 15 minutes of everything, I’d spend 1 hour on grammar for example. Something to think about for me haha

Oh no, hopefully you’ll feel better soon!!

I like your schedule, I especially like that you use 日本語の森 to study, I’ve always loved their videos because you simultaneously practice listening as well haha. Maybe you’ve mentioned it before, but what do you use to practice reading?

So far I’ve already changed my study routine, I felt like I should focus on studying vocabulary more outside of wanikani. To do that, I try to write down 2 pages of vocabulary (only the words I do not know) from this (unofficial) list of N1 vocabulary, every day. I would recommend this website for all JLPT levels, they have (again, unofficial) vocabulary and grammar lists for all levels!

I think my actual study routine will still develop over the coming weeks lol. Anyway, I plan to make the first biweekly check-in post tomorrow! If anyone has any suggestions for questions that would be nice to ask/answer, let me know! So far I’m thinking of questions like “what is your current strength/weakness” (also asked in sign-ups, but might be nice to look back on/compare with others) and “how many hours a week do you spend on studying on average”.

These check-ins were suggested by @banditraider. They’re a very nice way of keeping track of your own and other’s progress, and it might be nice to respond even if you don’t plan to be active in this thread :slight_smile: (I’m sorry this smiley somehow looks so intimidating, but I mean, feel free to participate lol)

6 Likes

Thank you, I’m doing a bit better now! :sparkles:

I have some suggestions again!

• have you been sticking to your study plan (if you had one)?
  • have you changed or plan to change your plan/methods?

They’re not necessary, but it’d be nice to see if anyone’s plans have changed already. I’m excited to hear how everyone else is doing so far. :eyes: I think it’ll be good motivation too.

Also that is a really cool website, I’ve never seen it recommended before! Maybe I’ll use that for N3 grammar instead.

I haven’t mentioned it because it’s a bit dorky :see_no_evil: but I’ve been playing an otome visual novel, so I get some listening practice on top of the reading. It’s called もし、この世界に神様がいるとするならば。 Or もし神 for short.

Cool details for cool people

It’s a horror/tragedy/romance about a modern-day reincarnation of the goddess Izanami, who learns she’s actually been trapped for years in a fake copy of the real world.

The story hasn’t been completely explained yet (I’m only about 2/3rds of the way through), but she has to somehow return to the real world before her past-life husband Izanagi binds her soul permanently to the underworld (where she is technically supposed to be, because in Japanese mythology Izanami died giving birth to the god of fire Kagutsuchi).

So if anyone here plays otome games (or visual novels in general) and likes tragedy you should check it out!!

Btw your study plan post said you were looking for suggestions on new ways to pick up vocab, so if you’re interested there’s a really cool site called freem.ne.jp that has a ton of free indie games in every genre, but unfortunately most of what you’d read would probably be casual conversations with common vocab words. And you might not even be into games, but I thought I’d throw it out there haha.

4 Likes

I support playing otome games lol. My Japanese isn’t quiet good enough to play one yet, but Alice in the Country of Spades is getting released this year, so I’m working very hard to be able to play it when it’s released :joy: I also have twisted wonderland on my phone which I plan to play once my reading level is higher.

4 Likes

That makes me feel a bit more confident! I’m still trying to figure out my study plan, but I think being able to have a goal to work towards (aka the mock test) is pretty helpful! Also, the vocabulary website you posted seems super helpful so I might start using it as well :blush:

3 Likes

OMG I completely forgot that existed until you mentioned it! It’s so crazy to me that Disney would ever, EVER be involved in an oto game. And the art is so pretty!

Are there any others you plan to play when your reading skills improve? Knowing the language opens up so many possibilities. There are literally hundreds of commercial oto games that were never translated into English. Plus there are all the indie ones (Japanese, not English), which I’m sure adds another couple hundred.

Personally I want to try Utsusemi no Meguri next, I’ve heard it’s horrifically tragic.

3 Likes

Yeah the art is so pretty and I’m kind of interested in how it actually works since it seems to be set up like an otome, but has the rhythm game element instead. I also kind of want to play another one by otomate called cupid parasite. I feel like I mainly only know otomate’s titles since their stuff is what usually gets an English port so I have a couple of their games I’m working through. I also hope to play angels of death and other similar games in Japanese eventually. I really like the art style of the 8-bit horror rpgs. I also looked up the game you mentioned and it sounds really interesting I hope you enjoy it! I’m not sure if you play any on switch or mainly stick with the PS Vita, but if you have any switch recommendations let me know!

3 Likes