Wanikani July JLPT Community Event (aka Joint Mock JLPT on July 4th, home thread)

I signed up also!
I’m learning the language solo as a hobby, so the main reason I’m interested in the JLPT is just fun/curiosity, so hey, might as well try a mock exam for the same reason!
I’ve got a bunch of the Shinkanzen books and I’ve been studying the grammar ones by transcribing example sentences and explanations into my general purpose mish-mash of an anki deck, but I haven’t been doing that very much lately because reading is more exciting…

I think I’d have a shot at the N2, and that I’d be 100% fine on kanji, probably okay on reading, iffy on grammar and in danger on listening. But I really have no idea where I am on the foolish hubris vs. selling myself short scale, so this experience would be interesting.
(my plan otherwise, since I have no time frame and no stakes is to just take the exam and try not to stress or care about the results and just keep taking it again if I fail)

6 Likes

What a fun idea! I’m signing up for N5 for now but if things seem to be going well by July I might shoot for N4 too, just for fun.

I have a study question! As far as strategy goes, how do people like to divide up their time? Right now I spend most of my time studying kanji and vocab, and only work on listening/reading and grammar much less. I know ultimately this isn’t going to get me far, but I only have an hour or two a day at most in which I can study. What is the best way to divide up time? For example, 20 min doing one skill, 20 min another, etc? Focus on one skill one day but another skill the next? What’s the most popular way?

3 Likes

Ok I’m actually going to take it this time rather than the december mock one I signed up for but didn’t actually take :speak_no_evil:
I’m planning on taking N2 in December so July will be a good baseline

3 Likes

My study group is pretty structured in how we study. During these COVID times, we are leaning more towards speaking/listening skills than grammar.

Schedule we roughly follow:

1. 15 minutes grammar review (interwoven with the speaking)
  2. 60 minutes of free-flowing conversation
  3. 30-45 minutes of reading - 10分読める三年生(伝記、お話), NKH News Easy, hukumusume, etc.
  4. 15-30 minutes of videos - 日本語の森, NHK School Videos, etc.

We like to do a little of everything every time we meet, so that we aren’t bored by just doing one thing.

If you had only a single hour to study, I would recommend doing two things at the least, of which one is something fun but also works into the material you want to learn.

9 Likes

Who else is going for N3? My goal is specifically to pass N2 next July rather than actually be able to speak Japanese so I was pretty disappointed the JLPT was cancelled again this year. Hopefully this will give me the motivation to keep up with my study plan and see if I’m on track in July. I started WK in 2014 (with a lot of breaks since then) so I’m a bit of a veteran but I haven’t been active in the community. If anyone wants an accountability partner let me know!

2 Likes

Currently my schedule is super unstructured. I had very little time last year so I just did whatever I could. Since January I’ve had more time and now I also have a clear goal to set up a more structured ‘daily’ schedule for, so here goes. I’m aiming for N1 but I should also really review N2 material (and N3… N4…) so I’ll probably also sign up for N2. For now, I’ll try to stick to this as much as possible:

:four_leaf_clover: March/April :four_leaf_clover:

Daily

I know I tend to just… not stick with my schedule if I make it too complicated and with too many different things. Therefore, I’ve tried to keep my daily tasks a bit simple so I don’t burn myself out.

• Watch/Listen to at least 30 minutes of Japanese content (youtube videos, podcasts)
  • Read 30 minutes of Japanese content (news, books, social media)
  • Study 2-5 N1 grammar points (新完全マスター文法N1)
  • Learn and review kanji and vocabulary with Wanikani (redo level 35 - 60)
Optional
  • Review N2/N3/N4 grammar points with (新完全マスター文法N4/N3/N2)
  • Practice N2 grammar, vocabulary and kanji (新にほんご500問N2

:four_leaf_clover: May/June :four_leaf_clover: (tentative)

• Practice N2 tests (20日で合格N2文字・語彙・文法)
  • Practice N1 ‘tests’ (新にほんご500問N1)
Optional
  • Review N2/N3/N4 grammar points with (新完全マスター文法N4/N3/N2)
  • Practice N2 grammar, vocabulary and kanji (新にほんご500問N2

I really need to study N1 vocabulary more actively, but I’m not sure how. So any tips are welcome! (not specifically N1, any vocabulary studying strategies, in general, I’m very curious about)

5 Likes

My original goal (which was always [probably] out of reach) of completing N3 grammar points according to BunPro by July is probably out of the question based off various reasons and excuses as to why I’m slacking, but I’m still gonna take the N3 'cause I feel like I can make educated guesses well enough to potentially pass it. Apart from listening. I’mma fail that COMPLETELY.
Currently 50% through N4 grammar points on BunPro and 12% through N3 and have finished Ch. 2 of Tobira. We’ll see how much further I get by test date. Though my listening will definitely not get better by then. Lol.

5 Likes

JLPT 2012 and 2018: JLPT Official Practice Workbooks

3 Likes

Live footage of me during a listening test in general

15 Likes

okay i signed up for N5 cos its about time :sob:

pls send help for listening :laughing:

5 Likes

I did the practice N5 last year that the Thai website put on and passed.

I’ve studied a lot since then so since it’s practice I’ll do N4 and check my progress before hopefully doing N3 or higher when the official test reopens.

Because I’m chaotic I study ad hoc around work. I use Genki II for N4 grammar mainly and then supplement it with extra reading from BunPro.

I’m awful at listening, so that’s probably something I should focus on.

3 Likes

First of all, お誕生日おめでとうございます! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

Second, I’m curious about the practice test you got from the Thai website. Is it like the practice workbook from the jlpt website? Would it be ok if u share the thai website to us? :grin:

1 Like

I believe it’s closed now it was only a short period but they might do it again this year but they haven’t said anything either way.

I’m sorry though I was wrong about it being Thai, it’s actually Vietnamese (DungoMori)

2 Likes

Whelp, might as well. N4 in July, here we go! Grammar-wise I’m pretty much prepared, though vocab-wise and kanji-wise I’ll have some work to do.

4 Likes

I had no intention of doing the JLPT any time soon, but this sounds fun. Hopefully this will give me the kick I need to get started on Bunpro (my ‘study strategy’ as shared here is more aspirational than not, as my free time is limited). I doubt I’ll be at a level to pass by July, but it’s worth a try!

5 Likes

I put me down for the N5
I fell like I could pass it right now but the N4 is still way to difficult. I barrely scratched the grammar for N4 and we don’t talk about vacabulary.
So I think N5 is realistic. N4 is a goal for latter in the year.

3 Likes

I’ve been studying N1 grammar every day for the past few months, using the videos from Nihongo no Mori. I would write everything down on paper like the boomer I am, and every so often go back all the way and read all of my notes before going to sleep.

But they just deleted all of their 100+ N1 videos before I could finish :expressionless: just when I got a good rhythm going

Still I think I’ll try the N1 test, hopefully I find another way of studying grammar soon.

4 Likes

ooh, i’m signing up for this :smiley:

i’m pretty sure i can manage N5, and i think i might just be able to do N4, so i’ll sign up for both :wink:

i’m definitely a study alone person, but i’ll be checking what ressources and tips everybody posts, and sharing any of mine which seem relevant ^^

3 Likes

I’m hoping I can pass the N4 by July, but I’m going to try both N5 and N4, so I can decide if I want to try N4 or N3 for December. I’m hoping to be through Genki 2 and the Minna No Nihongo book equivalent by then and use other resources to supplement my learning. Does anyone with JLPT experience know if that’ll be enough for the N4?

1 Like

N4 might be a bit of a stretch for me, but I decided to sign up to challenge myself and give myself some accountability to sit down and work through some grammar. Looking forward to studying along with everyone. :slight_smile:

3 Likes