WaniKani Content Overhaul

I’m late to the party, and seeing over 800 messages is daunting. So I’m probably asking something that was already answered, but please understand.

The description of the overhaul is only about the new radicals, but it appears that also new kanji have been added to the level. For example, I’m level 21, but in my lessons now I have kanji from previous levels (like “detailed” which is level 17). To be honest I don’t like this very much, because now I don’t know any more which level the new items are coming from, and it messes my study pattern. I can’t study the new items, and at the last review my accuracy dropped significantly. What is going on?

Yeah that seems like a bad idea. The only other kanji on WaniKani that has the reading め is 芽, which interestingly enough, uses the kanji 目 as a mnemonic.

@anon20839864 maybe you can use “meh” as the mnemonic? I’m not sure how widely understood that would be though.

1 Like

209 apprentice! and with most kanji/radicals already guru’d. almost got a heart attack when i noticed. that’s twice my usual number.

what’s going on?

1 Like

I’ll miss “rain boobs” most of all

3 Likes

I know, right? And I’m going to get my fist burn reviews shortly too. This week is going to have the most reviews I’ve ever done.

1 Like

YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE US MUHAHAHAH

Look up the kanji that those are used for and it will make sense.

1 Like

When will the announcement banner on the homepage disappear? If there were an option to close it, that’d be nice, too. After a couple of days it starts to get kind of annoying. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

If you send it to us in email it’ll be super helpful. Thank you!

1 Like

An re-learn tool for changed kanji seems like an alright idea to me, but we’re going to talk internally next week.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking too. Sort of folding in this tool with a permanent feature that lets you put your leech items back into re-education. That would be the best way I see the kanji-relearn feature going through (by thinking ahead and making it applicable to the future instead of just right now).

8 Likes

If my opinion is any useful, I really think that’s exactly the way to go :v::slight_smile:

That is correct - these items are treated like a normal content update (which we do all the time, but in smaller batches usually). So, there’s no old/new mnemonic tab.

I think when things settle down I’m going to consider a changelog for changes like this that people can view to see changes, but I wouldn’t expect that to happen anytime soon.

but but but… you’re at the best level, don’t you want to stay at 42 forever?

2 Likes

We’ll look into letting folks dismiss that next week. Right now it’s just on a timer. In the meantime, maybe put on some sunglasses? :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Might I recommend a variation of this suggestion I made a while ago? Rather than just sending items back to lessons, it would be nice to be able to demote any item to any (lower) SRS level, including the lesson queue.

4 Likes

Hello @oldbonsai,

Your list contains e.g. WaniKani / Kanji / 控 but that’s definitely still showing kun’yomi as primary reading for me on that page…?

No, in fact, I’m going to make sure you don’t ever renew again.

2 Likes

LOL. OMG.

4 Likes

That’s either a gift lifetime subscription, or a scheduled ban. To be honest, both would be justified. :smile:

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s only the ones I’ve burned.