WaniKani Content Overhaul

People want the radicals that match the kanji to match the kanji. It’s a constant complaint.

8 Likes

I hate many of the new changes, some radicals are far less memorable and stories related to some are just plain boring. I can’t give you a thumbs up with this change. Additionally I have to relearn many radicals and readings which is making things worse for the limited time I can allocate every day for wanikani.

2 Likes

Yup. It’s still there.
(Reading explanation)

I enter みぎ y ひだり, which I think was the right answer for the Right and Left Kanji before, unless I’m mistaken, in which case I apologize

Those are correct indeed. It should just shake.
When I go to the kanji’s page, the kun yomi are correctly listed, so if you got them wrong, it’s definitely a bug.

1 Like

I still love the updates, especially how its pushed changes through to the mnemonic stories within kanji’s up through all the levels. Some of the old stories were too airy fairy and didn’t stick (and I’m too lazy to make my own xd). Canopies covering cars makes more sense than mullets www

1 Like

I’ve added all the urgent radicals to my lesson queue, but what happens with the ones that I will need to relearn but that are not urgent? Will they automatically be added to my lessons or will they shift into the urgent category as they become necessary? It doesn’t specify in the list at what level they will become necessary, which would be helpful because I could add them then. Or do I just have to choose myself when and how many to add?

I’m not entirely sure what to think of the update. I can probably deal with the changes in radical names, however the new mnemonics seem less memorable.

What concerns me the most is on’yomi first because for all the words that used to provide on’yomi through vocabulary, i only have mnemonics that tie into vocabulary.

Which means that a sizeable part of my enlightened/burned queue is “wrong”.

It sounds like it’s time to turn the leech detector plugins off for a while.

1 Like

@anon20839864 I don’t know if it’s because I am opting out of the new mnemonics for now, but the mnemonic of 絹糸 still involves Charlie Sheen. I checked the word page, and there’s no alternative new mnemonic.

The urgent radicals are used in your current and your next level =)
So right now you see radicals used in lvl 31 and 32

If you do them all, and then level up, if any of the not yet learned radicals are used in the next level (33) they will be moved to the urgent section =)

So you can always be one level ahead of time with the radicals, or just do them when you please.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s really helpful. So when I level up they’ll be moved up to the urgent section automatically.

1 Like

I leave for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose. I just can’t leave you guys alone for five minutes, can I?

When you come back and they changed all the radicals.
sheep

“You’ve decided to re-learn these radicals. We at D.O.R.C are humbled by your undying commitment to the Crabigator.”

I am weak

4 Likes

Yup, when I leveled up a few more moved up into the urgent section. Very convenient :slight_smile:

Hm, that’s weird having some level 4 and level 6 items (and higher) still be locked, while I’m at 19.

I do wonder why they don’t just keep them unlocked when they move them to later levels.

anyone find a way to get rid of the notification on the main dashboard page ?
wonder how long it will take to disappear ?

3 Likes

Ok, ok, ok. For all those out there who don’t know how to show respect for other people’s opinions: I am already over it. I have accepted the changes. (I had clicked on relearn all from day first anyways.) Now, after investigating a bit over the internet, I know that this is for the best and that being up to date with these changes is beneficial for all learners. Bottom line: I am happily doing my 300+ reviews a day.

Please keep in mind that not everyone takes changes with the same mindset. You may refer to this: Cycle of Acceptance - Tool/Concept/Definition
And you will see that there is a cycle which some people will go through when facing changes.

Free advice: Don’t expect everyone to accept every change happily all the time.

Peace out :smiley:

2 Likes

Since it seems we’re posting these here!: the mnemonic for the 子kanji still uses Charlie sheen instead of sheep. Conversely the kanji 目 uses sheep in its mnemonic. I feel if we’re using sheep to tell us it’s the shi reading we’re going for, we should not use the ones where it’s not? (or wait, is the onyomi for 目shi? :thinking:

2 Likes

Shhh… Kristen may hear this and poor Charlie Sheen will be a goner. The resistance has been helping him ride in some Kanjis.

2 Likes

(I don’t like Charlie sheen… I’m sorry :wink: not sorry)

1 Like