WaniKani Content Overhaul

what do u mean by that <.<

4 Likes

Just leave it up until the New Year sale TBH.

1 Like

we have a track jumper here. quick, call the station staff while i hold him down!

1 Like

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for the content overhaul @koichi and team - I know it must have taken a lot of work.

While I like others will miss boobs and friends, I can see how these changes make a lot more sense. I’m grinding through the radical lessons now - the biggest impact is finding out that the kanji mnemonics have all changed and having to go relearn them. And the flip to onyomi has stumped me a few times because I haven’t encountered that reading before.

I only reset to 1 a few months ago, so a lot of these radicals (and affected kanji) are very familiar. What I find interesting is that I’ll be able to remember both the old and new radicals/mnemonics. So hopefully it actually provides extra reinforcement :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yeah you’re right, afterall I’ve been level 42 for 72days. I can handle another day

The list is not exactly what I was looking for. Normally we learn the readings with a mnemonic, now we just have to memorise a bunch of random sounds off a list, create our own mnemonic, or look them all up individually? If I look them all up individually it’s a lot of effort I can put in before I can then go back to my reviews, which are mounting up in the meantime. Or if I answer a review by looking it up in a list I don’t really know it do I?

It seems like the answer is to reset back to the beginning? After a year and a half of hard work plus financial investment I don’t really find this an acceptable answer. I don’t really have the time for a whole lot of additional self study.

It works best I think if you have your lesson ordering set to ascending level. If you do that then all the new radical lessons will come up first because they will be from the earlier levels.

Once you’ve got the new radicals out of your lesson queue then stop doing lessons for a few days until you’ve guru’d the new radicals. From that point on, it’s business as normal.

Really it should only take you a few days to get back on track.

4 Likes

Oh man… I had worked out which train you were catching too. :frowning:

1 Like

This might be in my imagination and maybe doing tens of thousands of reviews is tripping my brain out, but I failed this burn today by writing “by way of” as the meaning:

I don’t have the old mnemonics enabled but I remember something about dropping out of a helicopter “by way of” a lion person drop system? Have some of the meanings been changed? If so this is going to be very frustrating for me.

I’m pretty sure this has happened with something as well, like before the change I think 冊 had “books” as an accepted meaning and I lazily entered it in on a review set after the overhaul and got pinged as incorrect, but it only has 3 synonyms now and it definitely had more than that before the update… am I going to fail a bunch of burns because I have the wrong exact verbatim phrase association when the intended effect is the same?

I seriously nearly entered “by means of” but I was sure those 2 were the only synonyms and that “by way of” was the primary association, but now it has all these other synonyms. Am I losing my mind?

1 Like

Despite still using the old mnemonics, I really like that the new ones are more consistent. For “Apologize” 謝 I was already using the Shaman in the reading notes before then Overhaul added him to the new mnemonics because it just make more sense to keep using the well-known characters.

Except for all the kanji that have changed (mnemonic and sometimes reading as well). Koichi hinted at a kanji relearn tool above, which I think would be great. Right now, as I’m doing the new radical lessons, I’m revisiting the linked kanji to see how the mnemonic has changed. Or when I notice that a particular character has been replaced (Sheen->Sheep, Coyote->Kayak, etc) I revisit the kanji I know have that reading. Or for kanji whose primary reading has changed, I enter the old kun reading and haven’t learnt the new on reading yet, which prompts me to relearn it manually.

Since I’ve only recently reset it’s not so bad - but if I was much higher it’d be pretty overwhelming.

2 Likes

This kind of change happens all the time. Usually to one or two kanji a week, where small tweaks to meanings are made. This one seems overdue. They post updates to a blog linked on the dashboard.

I got slain by that one today, too :hocho: :hocho: :upside_down_face:

Just think of how 親しい you will become with all those Kanji! :blush:

Well, that’s upsetting. I don’t know how I feel about having sequences repeatedly reinforced in my head that will be arbitrarily cut from under me. Is there really such a giant crevice between “by way of” and “by means of”? I don’t think a blog post update is going to be better remembered than a specifically ordered timed sequence of reviews that I’ve used to build up the memory so I guess I’ll just… rebuild it. Sigh.

I don’t remember the main meaning ever being “by way of” but maybe that’s just me. I thought it was “by means of.”

The overdue change I was referring to was adding “from.” And thankfully it’s also the main meaning. The other meaning basically never even showed up on WK.

It means “by means of” in 以て (not taught on WK) and, for instance, 以心伝心 (not taught on WK).

So it’s really not a big deal to drop that meaning from your memory as far as WK is concerned.

2 Likes

“by way of” and “by means of” sound similar enough to me. Just add it as a synonym. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Adding the synonym after the miss doesnt really help, and to be honest I’ll probably use “from” or “since” because it makes more sense to me in context of the various words I’ve learned to use it with (以上、以下、以外、以前、以来 etc some here, some from outside sources) my issue is more with the uncertainty these 2 failures in particular gives me about any particular item and whether or not I should basically expect to fail some items not because i dont know them, but because the accepted answer has been changed since my last review 4 months ago. Like I said I’m not a computer so I can’t be sure “by way of” was a verbatim acceptable answer anyway but it planted a seed of doubt about the process I guess.

I dunno I failed 忙 today because caps lock was on on my computer and I typed ボウ on the first item without realising lol, I’ve failed plenty of items due to stupidity and probably will fail many more. I guess this big content change has me concerned that all the work I’ve put in thus far might be invalidated but that’s probably an overreaction, and it will likely affect very few words and just be a little sting that adds 1 or 2 items back into the review cycle. I’ll get over it, that post was a little bit of a knee jerk at the perceived unfairness of failing an item I was confident with. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

The primary mean was “by means of” , it was never “by way of”

It’s the Kanji I’m not happy about, the radicals don’t concern me. I often ignored the radicals because their names were too far from common names/meaning so those will be an improvement. I’m talking about the Onyomi I haven’t been taught yet and now I’m getting them incorrect. I’m also now concerned that I’ve burned a bunch of kanji that I maybe don’t know as well as I should.

I currently have 170 reviews which I need to prioritise before I even think at looking at new lessons, I haven’t done lessons for a few days because I was trying to get my apprentices down before using vacation mode.

Really? But if you enter the old radical name, it should still accept it.