WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Since 「屁理屈」 is “illogical argument”, 「理屈」 should also accept the meaning “argument”. Can you add this?

2 Likes

Am I correct that this batch is a bit delayed?

Isn’t it usually on Thursdays? :eyes: That’s tomorrow

2 Likes

Only for those of us East of the dateline. :wink: Although, you’re right, the WK team is in the states. I think they’ll probably update around 10-11am PST tomorrow.

1 Like

This week’s additions and hidden items:

Vocabulary

• Level 9: 空手 (からて) - karate
  • Level 59: 梓川 (あずさがわ) - Azusa River
  • Level 59: 沙羅 (さら) - Sara
  • Level 60: 某国 (ぼうこく) - a certain country
  • Level 60: 某所 (ぼうしょ) - a certain place
  • Level 60: 某氏 (ぼうし) - a certain person

Hidden

• Level 5: 里心 - this word is very old-fashioned and rarely used these days, and we’ve added 人里 and 里芋 to cover the さと (and ざと) readings of 里.
  • Level 18: 可分 (かぶん) - this is an obscure technical word, and we have lot of other words to practice these readings.

(The batches are always published on Thursdays @Pep95 :wink:)

19 Likes

I think my conceptualization of time is no longer working :sweat_smile:

Also thanks Jenny! :high_touch:

7 Likes

I did the lesson for 梓川 today and the 梓 kanji was not familiar to me at all. I figured that the kanji’s meaning has changed but I was unable to remember what the original meaning was (I’d have failed a review for this kanji). I’ve tracked it down to the August 27 content update, and found that it used to mean “wood block” which does ring a bell.

This got me looking into しらかば which is the word I usually hear for birch (in Minecraft videos). It looks like there’s yet another birch kanji, かば for another kind of Japanese birch. How confusing.

5 Likes

@TofuguJenny, I don’t know if ひょうろう is a new addition or not, but either way I’d like to ask for it’s reading mnemonic to change as I find it a bit confusing.

1. “Rowboat” is typically used for りょう and not ろう
  2. The first reading for 糧 is already りょう, so now there’s one mnemonic for two readings

Since the word means provisions I’m sure it’d be easy to use the standard mnemonic “roe” for something like: Heyo! I finally got my roe! Lucky me.

Thank you

6 Likes

That’s one things I think the WK team should concentrate on: consistency of mnemonics.

2 Likes

I will miss it :sob:

3 Likes

@Mods, romaji Tofugu spotted on (とど)

Assuming this hasn’t been seen yet, is there a reason that “giant” isn’t on the allow list for 巨大(きょだい)? Many name translations including it have giant/gigantic in the English.

4 Likes

Currently 「遅」 only accepts “slow”, but the meaning “late” should be added.

The majority of 「遅」 vocabs mean “late”:

「遅刻」 means “be late”
「遅延」 means “delay”
「遅滞」 means “delay”
「遅れる」 means “to be late”
「遅咲き」 means “late flower”

5 Likes

@TofuguJenny Would it be possible to add the N1 remaining Kanji as an add on feature that is hidden until you reach level 60? level 60 users could beta test the levels and edit the stories and then users can scroll through the stories on the lessons page and up vote the best ones? then like after a year or 2 wanikani could just select the best ones and make them official?

Thanks

It’s very easy to mix up 巨大 (huge/gigantic) with 巨人 (a giant) though. Also since 巨大 can’t mean “giant” as a noun I don’t think it should be on the allow list, since it’d cause people who mistakenly think it does to be marked as correct even though they’re wrong.

2 Likes

A big person is a big person, but a big big is a big

2 Likes

The “N1” kanji is arbitrarily just the Joyou kanji plus some arbitrary Jinmeiyou kanji on it basically exclusively because of common names, so the vocab would just be names for most of them and wouldn’t really need meanings so it might be odd.

I feel like this can be solved by checking context sentences or just seeing it in context anywhere. You can have giant people or a giant. Giants are giant people. I don’t think it should be the main definition or on the shown previews, just the allow list since it’s a valid and common translation. People should pick up on the difference with the readings.

2 Likes

Hey @TofuguJenny, just wondering if there is a planned ending to the content additions, or whether this is still an ongoing process without a determined end date?

2 Likes

Odd or not! I want to walk around knowing I can buss out the “I know all the N1 Kanji” My sense of worth is measured in Kanji knowledge.