WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

I feel like this can be solved by checking context sentences or just seeing it in context anywhere. You can have giant people or a giant. Giants are giant people. I don’t think it should be the main definition or on the shown previews, just the allow list since it’s a valid and common translation. People should pick up on the difference with the readings.

2 Likes

Hey @TofuguJenny, just wondering if there is a planned ending to the content additions, or whether this is still an ongoing process without a determined end date?

2 Likes

Odd or not! I want to walk around knowing I can buss out the “I know all the N1 Kanji” My sense of worth is measured in Kanji knowledge.

Dems the Vibes!

1 Like

@Mods 「同音異義語」 should also have “homophone” as synonym. After all, 「同」 means “same” or “ὁμός” and 「音」 means “sound” or “φωνή”.

4 Likes

vocab 門 doesn’t accept “gates” as an answer, because that’s the kanji meaning too

2 Likes

Thanks for all the observations and suggestions, I’ll look into them!

just wondering if there is a planned ending to the content additions, or whether this is still an ongoing process without a determined end date?

Hi @Pep95! After today’s batch, there’ll be a week’s break, possibly two, and then we’re planning on publishing a few more batches that we have in the works. Beyond that, the tentative plan is for further additions in the new year :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Oooooooooooooh :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Today’s additions and other changes should now be live:

Kanji

• Level 25: (ばく) - greenhouse

Vocabulary

• Level 7: ナポレオン三世 (なぽれおんさんせい) - Napoleon III
  • Level 25: 莫大 (ばくだい) - huge
  • Level 31: 豊富 (ほうふ) - abundant
  • Level 60: 詠う (うたう) - to compose
  • Level 60: 酌み交わす (くみかわす) - to drink together
  • Level 60: (なにがし) - someone or other

Moved

• Level 31: 経路 (けいろ) - moving down to level 20, as this is a common word, and both kanji are available by level 20.

Hidden

• Level 41: 原潜 (げんせん) - this is uncommon, and we have enough other words to practice these readings.

There won’t be any additions next week, but we’ll be updating the original post within a week or two with the next few batches.

13 Likes

Thank you Jenny! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to have Lupin III than ole Nappy? :wink:

5 Likes

on one hand I love Lupin

but on the other, for people who don’t speak French and aren’t familiar with Lupin, Naporeon-Napoleon is probably more straight-forward than Rupan-Lupin, especially given that the name itself is not what’s important in this vocab item.

2 Likes

I was looking at it the way that Lupin III is a Japanese institution and most people here are interested in Japan and it’s pop culture. So they might actually be more familiar with Lupin than Napoleon. :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m wondering about the meaning of this kanji. I know WK uses greenhouse as the radical name for 莫, but I can’t find any other sources that list greenhouse as a meaning of this kanji. I’m wondering if this was just a made up meaning for this kanji or if this is an actual meaning. From what I can find the kanji seems to mostly be used in names, so it might be that the original meaning is just too obscure to be useful at this point and the radical meaning was just inserted to fill the meaning field, but if this is the case I think adding this as a note might be a nice addition to prevent people from actually associating the meaning with the kanji.

7 Likes

The 大辞林 dictionary lists “word of denial” and “lonely/endlessly wide” as possible meanings. “Greenhouse” is indeed not listed :wink:

I do think it is a little weird to teach us a made-up meaning. With the radicals, I’ve come to accept that Wanikani uses non-standard radicals and radical meanings because the Wanikani versions do help with the mnemonics, but with the kanji I expect to be taught meanings that are at least close to “official” sources (since Wanikani is for learning kanji).

6 Likes

Yeah it just comes from the radical memnonic WK has. Kanjipedia has, for the actual meanings:

①くれ。ゆうぐれ。「莫春」 ②ない。なし。なかれ。否定・禁止の助字。 ③大きい。はてしないさま。「莫大」「広莫」 ④むなしい。さびしい。「寂莫」

It is also one of the awkward 2004 jinmeiyou kanji that was primarily added just from 莫大 is common to see, and for whatever reason moving kanji that were commonly used onto that list rather than the jouyou list was common with those kanji.

4 Likes

Should ナポレオンさんせい be a potential reading for ナポレオン三世 ? All previous katakana words have accepted when I input the answer in katakana, but this one marked me as wrong until I wrote it all in Hiragana.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s time to introduce kanji items that would only ask for readings and not meanings.

1 Like

Or the meaning could be “common name (kanji)”

1 Like