WaniKani Content Update: June 3, 2019

Hello everyone! :durtle_hello:

We’re going to be adding some new content to the existing levels of WaniKani next Monday, June 3rd. It’s not a lot—a nice handful of kanji and vocabulary (and one radical). This is the first of a few content updates we’ve been planning. About six are in the pipeline as I’m writing this, but there may be more (or less), we’ll see.

There won’t be any downtime on the site, the items will simply appear and then trickle into the lessons of those of you at the right levels. You don’t have to do anything to get the new items.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that the new vocabulary words will have different (new!) audio. We’ve been working for a while on recording new audio for all of the vocabulary words on WaniKani. While we’re still preparing to roll it out to the entire site, these new words will have that audio, so they may not match up particularly well with the old stuff. Sorry!

Please bear (:bear:) with us with while we work on the new audio replacements as well.

The update is live!

I’ve listed all of the new items below for your convenience. As always, please give the system some time to add all of the items to your accounts. And if you see any typos/errors please feel free to either post them here or shoot me and email: hello@wanikani.com

New Radical

Level 40: 喜 - Rejoice

New Kanji

Level 18: 喉 - Throat
Level 18: 叩 - Strike, Beat
Level 18: 飴 - Candy
Level 30: 匂 - Scent, Fragrance
Level 37: 串 - Skewer, Spit
Level 40: 嬉 - Glad, Happy
Level 41: 嘘 - Lie

New Vocabulary

Level 18: 喉 (のど) - Throat
Level 18: 喉頭 (こうとう) - Larynx, Voice Box
Level 18: 叩く (たたく) - To Strike, To Beat, To Hit, To Knock
Level 18: 叩頭 (こうとう) - Kowtow (history word oooh)
Level 18: 飴 (あめ) - Candy, Hard Candy
Level 18: 飴細工 (あめざいく) - Sugar Sculptures, Sugar Animals
Level 20: 喉飴 (のどあめ) - Cough Drop, Throat Lozenge
Level 30: 匂う (におう) - To Be Fragrant, To Smell Good
Level 32: 匂い (におい) - Scent, Fragrance, Odor, Smell
Level 37: 串 (くし) - Skewer, Spit
Level 37: 串焼き (くしやき) - Grilled Skewers
Level 40: 嬉々 (きき) - Happily, Joyfully, Merrily
Level 40: 嬉しい (うれしい) - Glad, Happy, Joyful
Level 41: 嘘 (うそ) - Lie
Level 41: 嘘吐き (うそつき) - Liar

:crabigator: :sparkling_heart: :caught_durtling:

183 Likes

But I was finally free!!

100 Likes

The Holy Crabigator will never let you be! :crabigator:

30 Likes

@anon20839864 Should we expect that some of the updates will also move content between levels? Or will it just be additions without moving anything?

3 Likes

Just additions!

10 Likes
12 Likes

This is great news! Very happy to see new content added to WK.

What is the reason behind this?

18 Likes

:bear: :durtle: :bear: :durtle: :bear: :durtle: :bear: :durtle: :bear: :durtle: :bear:

9 Likes

Some of the old recordings are lower-quality, behave weirdly when there’s more than 2 speakers, and have a strong regional dialect.

And that’s only the ones I caught.

5 Likes

Especially the ones from levels 51+. Some weird recording artifacts on those.

1 Like

tenor
Everyone until June 3

6 Likes

There are a few, but mainly we wanted to get higher quality recordings that use the standard (pitch) accent clearly. There are things that go with it, but I gotta be shh about it for a bit longer.

Edit: And we tried to make sure the volume is as consistent as possible with the new audio so it’s not so whisper quiet.

38 Likes

匂い and 嘘 finally on their way?

20 Likes

tenor

54 Likes

@Naphthalene tell me when you’ll be doing your lessons so that I can do them 1 minute before.

26 Likes

Not to mention 嬉しい.

10 Likes

Can you guys get rid of the famous complaint “里心” and add words like… 里親 or 里子? I dare anyone complaining about those ones.

5 Likes

aprilsmile

27 Likes

There will only be additions for this update.
One thing at a time, friend.

19 Likes

I’m going to read into this too much and assume this means it’ll be removed in one of the next updates. :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes