Wanikani Confessions

Time to 'fess up, people. What’s your dirty little WaniKani secret? I’ll start, because I just did mine and have a feeling other people do it too:

When I see I have reviews coming up in the next hour, but I have any number of reviews already in my queue, I will run around the forums until the turn of the hour.

33 Likes

I usually click “wrap up” when I have 51 reviews left so I can avoid the 42+ number showing up as my review pile.

27 Likes

I’ve used the ignore button to override a wrong answer in a kanji review just to level up.

77 Likes

I’m guilty of this as well.

11 Likes

Are they going to revoke your mention in the FAQ?

53 Likes

I thought of doing it (I can’t remember the level, 50 something). I had already done the maximum number of mistakes, and any more would have been fatal.
Luckily, I didn’t need to.

Instead, often I’m not too certain about the English wording WK uses, so I check the “additional info” after getting the reading right. (If I was wrong, I just put “a” when it comes around; I also don’t care in the case I got the reading wrong, since the item is demoted anyway).

That backfired once, since I didn’t know that in English admonition and admonishment aren’t the same thing.
(I.e. I thought I was thinking of a valid synonym of what WK wanted, but I didn’t)

8 Likes

I have done this too :sweat:

4 Likes

As I told the Durtholic priest:

It’s on guru :sweat:

16 Likes

I have no ignore button, come at me.

I have done this in anki though, which is why I don’t have an ignore button.

6 Likes

Ohh, I have this problem as well! I guess this is another confession:

For kanji like 教, I sometimes write the noun version (teaching) instead of the “verbalized” one (teach - the actual answer). I override that as well :smirk:

13 Likes

When I have a very hard leech, I just push it to master by utilizing the ignore button. This way it gets into my lesson pile of KaniWani, so that I can practice the writing… this way I hope to be able to remember it better…

I use the Satori Reader, but I often just listen to the text… without reading >-> … shame

3 Likes

I wouldn’t consider that an issue, except in cases where it changes the meaning due to synonyms.

7 Likes

I also override it, when I got “kind of the meaning” like when I write “aggressive” instead of “violent” for 烈. In my mind, it’s important to have a good feeling for a kanji, not the perfect meaning (which also differs from dictionary to dictionary).

13 Likes

I add other parts of speech as synonyms all the time for kanji. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I add lots of abbreviations, often times silly ones, as acceptable answers to meanings because I’m to lazy to type them out the right way.

For example I use “hundo” in place of “hundred” in pretty much any word that uses it. It only saves 2 keystokes, but I do it anyway.

Bonus confession:
On more than one occasion I’ve used a character name for a meaning if I felt they were the perfect representation of that kanji or vocab.

5 Likes

Like what?

1 Like

… I often add really strange synonyms to WK…

grafik

This way the synonym is shown as an additional hint in KW. Doing this, I can distinguish between very simmilar translations in order to write the correct kanji :man_facepalming:

I know, the user synonyms are not ment this way. But hey, it works!

23 Likes

Takes time, plus I can only do it during review or from the item page. (I think there’s a script allowing that, but I never think of looking it up; it’s too late anyway).

I’ve added additional parts of speech a few times, too. Especially if an item turns into a leech that I KNOW, I just consistently type in the wrong form (e.g. cooperate/cooperation, discern/discerning).

These are the juicy confessions that I created this thread for :clap:t3: thank you JP.

3 Likes

For 全力 I used All Might from My Hero Academia. Even not as a character name that one’s pretty synonymous as it is but it fits the character as well.

More recently I learned the radical 戈 (drunkard) and I used Qrow from RWBY, because he’s, well, a bit of a drunkard.

I use characters as mnemonics all the time, but sometimes I go as far as to add them as actual answers.

10 Likes