Do You Cheat? How?

Do you use WaniKani Override to fix your mistakes? Or WaniKani Ultimate Timeline so that you can peek ahead to see what’s coming in the next review? What other tools do you use to force the :crabigator: to submit to your mighty power?

I ask merely out of curiosity, I personally would never engage in such behavior. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I abused the reorder script, but not any more.

3 Likes

I use review timeline strictly to know how many hundreds of reviews I have to look forward to at 5am. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I use:

• WaniKani Lesson User Synonyms 2
    My #1 complaint about WK - nonsense “radicals”.
    Instead of having to find and add synonyms after lessons, this lets me add them right away.
  • Wanikani Ultimate Timeline
    Helps me plan out my day.
  • Wanikani Dashboard Progress Plus
    Looks pretty. Also gives me a sense of progress instead of only seeing a 0% for the first couple of days on each level.
  • Wanikani Double-Check
    I try to work fast - just produce the first thing that comes to mind the second I see the kanji. This means plenty of typos (especially when not-enough n’s turns 〜んや〜 into 〜にゃ〜) and reversed meaning/pronunciation input.

They’re not very cheaty, but they do help a bit with speed and motivation over not having them…

4 Likes

Tinder…

22 Likes

I outsource all of my reviews to India.

69 Likes

sometimes i use rikai kun / rikai chan to tell me meaning/readings :sweat_smile:
so… just straight out cheating (although sometimes* i purposefully get them wrong after checking because i had no idea)

*not very often

1 Like

Yes, I do this too! It’s important to let my inner crabigator speak before my brain gets in the way with all of its thinking.

1 Like

#Relatable

I wrote down the radical names. I can’t understand why WK wants us to remember it and some are ridiculous anyway.

Because that’s the whole premise of how they aim to teach how to remember the kanji?

6 Likes

But the names in WK… when we learn Chinese, we have proper names if you know what I mean.

Those aren’t used for making mnemonics from, like WK is doing. Yes, WK uses the term “radical” liberally to include all kanji elements, even ones not used for indexing kanji in dictionaries.

2 Likes

No, but I’ve been using @rfindley’s double check to automatically enable lightning mode and also fix my typo, not to retype my wrong answer and abuse the system just to get 100% correct.

I use WK Ultimate Timeline but I changed its setting so that I can’t peek what’s coming in the next review.

None. If I knew any scripts that could change my behaviour to turn to the dark side, I removed it. (Like when I uninstalled WK Auto Commit, though some people seems to be very happy with this script)

Haha yes I guess I have been treating them like real radicals. Guess how many of the number of times I got 母 wrong ? Now I add my own ones. Cheers.

1 Like

The radicals are genuinely helpful for some of the later mnemonics, where WK builds stories for you that are so vivid and ridiculous they aid greatly in remembering either reading or meaning, and it usually starts with knowing at least one of the WK “radicals” involved.

But also, like, don’t feel like you can’t add your own synonyms to them if you have a personal way of remembering it or want to add its kanji meaning, etc. My radicals are loaded up with synonyms, though I also try to keep the WK one in the back of my mind in case it ever plays into a useful mnemonic.

2 Likes
  • reorder script
    to a) learn all radicals immediately after levelling up and b) learn other items sorted by level

• auto commit
    … until i uninstalled it. nice experience but too tempting, since i’m a fast typer and revisioning happens faster than my honesty can kick in … :sweat_smile:

• self study quiz for additional leech training

• bulk add kanji user synonyms
    kind of increases chances of a lucky guess, when something has lots of meanings. still not strictly cheating, though.

• kamesame (or kaniwani)
    messes a bit with the SRS of course but i decided to now only review burned items on kamesame, further solidifying recognition of these items.

I did hesitate in the beginning and now I don’t. :smile:

I use WaniKani override for when I fat-finger something. Which happens way more than it should.

I flirt with my reviews and the moment they get red shy, I override them.

5 Likes