Vocab recall app

Hi all, 

In WaniKani, you get very good at recognizing words in Japanese, but I wonder if recalling the words after hearing them in English is different/more difficult. I imagine this is the case when you have hundreds of words. 

I wrote a little game to help me recall vocabulary that’s unlocked on WaniKani. You can check it out here:

http://www.stanford.edu/~sergiob/wanikani-tr/?PUBLIC_API_KEY

Just replace PUBLIC_API_KEY with your own, which you can find at http://www.wanikani.com/account .

Hope it’s fun to play with!  

Showing the correct answer when you skip, or a list of the questions/answers at the end would make it a lot less frustrating. It would also help close the loop so that the tool could be used for training, rather than just testing.  Otherwise, very neat.

This is pretty cool!  Thanks!

Good suggestions, JoeRPGMast. I’ll add those features tomorrow. Will let you know.

This is amazing, thanks! Something to do whenever I’m bored of waiting for my reviews. Wouldn’t use it too much in case it interferes with the SRS process, but it’s a fun game in itself :slight_smile: An app of this would be amazing as well.

I am unable to copy my API key…it’s just grayed out in both Firefox PC and on my iPad.

sglinert said... I am unable to copy my API key...it's just grayed out in both Firefox PC and on my iPad.
Here under "getting started" or use Chrome.

This is really great! Thank you!

I do have problems recalling most of the unused and past vocab especially with the number of vocab steadily increasing.
So I really like your program - I was looking for something simple like that! Thank you!

If you are open for suggestions: I would really like a mode without a time limit. 
For me the passing time is a distraction and with tons of vocab, 90 seconds pass fast if you have to think about one word you haven’t used in a while.
Maybe it could be like a practice mode? 

As expected, it does have the issues with synonyms…

It was asking for “shoes, footwear”

so I spammed くつ 靴

but nope, it wanted 履物, and it doesn’t tell you which one you want after failing either ;O

You need to make it check among all the possible vocal that accept a reading, otherwise you are screwed.

What if It says “entrance”?

do I type 入り口? 入所? 入場? 入門?

Thanks for the tip, Apraxas. As you can see, I’m in level 2, so synonyms are still not a big problem for me, though I did expect this issue to come up. This is related to the problem of adding example sentences or usage clues in WaniKani, which has been raised in the forums (I think the WaniKani folks are working on that). 

Sarina: I’ll add an option on the homescreen to let you choose the time limit. 

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

serijio said... Hi all, 

In WaniKani, you get very good at recognizing words in Japanese, but I wonder if recalling the words after hearing them in English is different/more difficult. I imagine this is the case when you have hundreds of words. 

I wrote a little game to help me recall vocabulary that's unlocked on WaniKani. You can check it out here:

http://www.stanford.edu/~sergiob/wanikani-tr/?PUBLIC_API_KEY

Just replace PUBLIC_API_KEY with your own, which you can find at http://www.wanikani.com/account .

Hope it's fun to play with!  
 You have a very impressive historial. ^^ I checked your page on the Stanford site.

This is awesome! I just tried it out and I can now see that doing this “backwards” is going to help out alot.

Thanks for sharing!

Cool! Thanks!

Works good for me, but I’m used to press ‘n’ twice if I want to input ん, would be great if you could change this to conform with WaniKani and basically every other IME I ever used :smiley:

Edit: Also, how does one go about entering something like しんゆう with the current system?

This is a great app! And it’s crazy because I just finished a similar app today. I agree with you that recalling is a better way to remember the Kanji.

I published the source code here: https://github.com/Munksey/wanikani-recall. I just published it to the chrome app store too, it’s called “Wanikani Recall.” I’ll write another post on it tomorrow, but it’s more focused on helping people learn how to write the Kanji. Perhaps we can combine our powers to create a better app.

I just put up an updated version that allows you to change the time limit and shows you a list of skipped words. 

jacobd – I didn’t realize that you could hit n twice to get ん, which is why I edited the IME to its current form – dumb mistake. I’ll try to revise it later. 

Munksey – I’d love to collaborate and I’ll check out your app. One big problem with my game are synonyms, as someone pointed out. I think the best way around that is to add usage examples or make the definitions more specific. I doubt that words with the same two-word definition on WaniKani have exactly the same meaning, even if in some cases they are very similar. 

Can I just say, this is brilliant. I feel like I’m tackling WaniKani from two sides now. I was shocked at first at ho bad I was at the game, but over time it’s really come to be one of the most useful learning tools. Sure I’d love to see it fleshed out and that whole synonym thing sorted but clearly you have some seriously genius business to attend to! and honestly, I’d be perfectly happy using this forever. 

In short, massive kudos, thank you.

Just an observations, but whenever I decide to skip something at the end when it shows the skipped words it doesn’t show the word you skipped but the word that came after the word you skipped. Is this happening to anyone else?

This is incredibly helpful for me.  I will be spending a lot of time using it.  Thank you so much!