KaniWani - English to Japanese Recall Tool

One of the things about WaniKani is that, of course, it only tests your recognition of kanji, and not your recall. So I set out to make a tool that does the opposite. It's finally finished:

Kanji & Vocabulary: 
http://sundar.eu.pn/kaniwani (Enlightened and above)
http://sundar.eu.pn/kaniwani/master (Master and above)

Vocabulary-only: 
http://sundar.eu.pn/kaniwani/vocabulary
http://sundar.eu.pn/kaniwani/vocabulary/master

In the top left is your level, as well as pending lessons and reviews. The API key you put in is stored locally. 
On the left of the meaning is what type the item is (pink for kanji, purple for vocab) and on the right is whether you got it correct or not - if you got it wrong,  press 'f' for the correct reading(s).

Hope you find it useful!

P.S. There might still be one or two bugs still in the works, so please report if you find any
ありがとう。

i tried it and it seems nice but it doesnt really tell you when your answer is wrong (at least not so that I notice it), and you can just move on with a wrong answer… oh the red bar, maybe make it a little bigger? idk…
another thing i noticed is that when you put you mouse over the word/s it tells you what you are supposed to answer. Should it be like this? o.0

I like it, thanks for making it. Ill let ya know if I run into any bugs.

aleccookies said... i tried it and it seems nice but it doesnt really tell you when your answer is wrong (at least not so that I notice it), and you can just move on with a wrong answer..
 So the right line doesn't turn red for you? http://snag.gy/udkio.jpg
And hovering over it: http://snag.gy/YalqF.jpg

I’ve been playing around with this, here are a couple of things that come to mind:

1. Would you consider making both color bars wider? They’re very narrow right now and sometimes it’s difficult to tell what color is being displayed in either of them. Perhaps you could color the input box with the type of word (pink or purple), and include a big red X and green O to the left and right (respectively) of the prompt to show when an answer is right or wrong.

2. Is it possible to only test vocab words, or maybe set up a toggle to switch between [Kanji+Vocab] and [Vocab Only]? My initial reaction is to say that it’s more important, when testing E->J, to test for whole vocab instead of individual kanji.

3. I think this is a bug. When I hit Enter before entering any text, as soon as I hit enter it immediately skips to the next word, no pause to see if I got the last word correct or not.

This is a fun tool, thanks for releasing it!

Edit: Here’s one I forgot to mention:

4. WK is awesome because you can activate just about everything via keyboard shortcuts. In that vein, is it possible to toggle the visibility of the correct answer via the F key (in keeping with WK hotkeys)?

IAmKale said... I've been playing around with this, here are a couple of things that come to mind:

1. Would you consider making both color bars wider? They're very narrow right now and sometimes it's difficult to tell what color is being displayed in either of them. Perhaps you could color the input box with the type of word (pink or purple), and include a big red X and green O to the left and right (respectively) of the prompt to show when an answer is right or wrong.

2. Is it possible to only test vocab words, or maybe set up a toggle to switch between [Kanji+Vocab] and [Vocab Only]? My initial reaction is to say that it's more important, when testing E->J, to test for whole vocab instead of individual kanji.

3. I think this is a bug. When I hit Enter before entering any text, as soon as I hit enter it immediately skips to the next word, no pause to see if I got the last word correct or not.

This is a fun tool, thanks for releasing it!

Edit: Here's one I forgot to mention:

4. WK is awesome because you can activate just about everything via keyboard shortcuts. In that vein, is it possible to toggle the visibility of the correct answer via the F key (in keeping with WK hotkeys)?
 These are great suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

This seems like something that Viet could add to WK without much trouble. I really wish that he would.

In the meantime, your site is neat. I don’t see much point in testing kanji this way, though. Vocab would be sufficient.

I can provide a mirror. If you’re interested, contact me via e-mail: jakob.dorn at gmail.com

not sure if its a bug or just a feature but whenever I hover my mouse over the word it gives me the answer over the right bar before I even input an answer. It happens after I get an answer wrong, the following kanji/vocab shows the answer if I hover over the word/black bar.

Nyueru said... not sure if its a bug or just a feature but whenever I hover my mouse over the word it gives me the answer over the right bar before I even input an answer.
 Yeah I noticed that too. I don't think I can fix it easily, I'm afraid.
Sundar said...
Nyueru said... not sure if its a bug or just a feature but whenever I hover my mouse over the word it gives me the answer over the right bar before I even input an answer.
 Why not remove the hover-over entirely and just display the answer elsewhere if the user was wrong? Or don't display it at all, like WK?
Kwami said...
Sundar said...
 Why not remove the hover-over entirely and just display the answer elsewhere if the user was wrong? Or don't display it at all, like WK?
 I may just do that, thanks.

Well this is pretty neat

Would be great if you could make it a little bit prettier though. Took me a sec to get used to the layout

Walnut said... Well this is pretty neat

Would be great if you could make it a little bit prettier though. Took me a sec to get used to the layout
 Sorry about that. Is there anything specific I could do to improve it for you?

Probably thicker lines for the item type/ right/wrong answer and then some spaces/labels for Level/Lessons/Reviews

Also it’d be cool if it could feedback the item in kanji when you get a wrong answer instead of just hiragana so you can get both recall and recognition in one go

Walnut said... Probably thicker lines for the item type/ right/wrong answer and then some spaces/labels for Level/Lessons/Reviews

Also it'd be cool if it could feedback the item in kanji when you get a wrong answer instead of just hiragana so you can get both recall and recognition in one go
Okay, implemented all of those changes. What do you think?

This is pretty cool! ありがとうございます

Looks a lot better

Love it

Okay, played around with it a lot and I love it, my only issue is that when I get one wrong I like to retype it in but when you do it on yours it just goes onto the next question. Just throwing suggestions out there :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, ありがとうございます!!!

I tried to use the vocab only page a bit, but the reviews stay at 98 even if I answer correctly