Visual Guide on How To Install A Userscript

Usually, it’s near the top of the script itself. I think some scripts even rely on other scripts to fetch it, in which case you could just install Ultimate Timeline first (and delete it afterward if you don’t want to use it).

I do have the Ultimate Timeline one - does that help other scripts? Do you have a screenshot as an example of where I need to enter the API for the script?

Ultimate Timeline fetches the apikey automatically, and a lot of other scripts store/recall it at the same location. So, often if you have Ultimate Timeline installed, scripts will see the apikey already stored in your browser, and you won’t have to do anything else to make them work. But not all scripts do that. Some scripts have the apikey hard-coded in the code, and require you to insert your apikey into the script itself.

What script do you want to install? If it’s a hard-coded script, you can open the script’s code (by clicking on it in the Tampermonkey Dashboard), you’ll see a line somewhere near the top with something like:

var apikey = "[Enter your apikey here]";

But every script is different.

I can’t post a screen-shot because I don’t think I have any scripts installed that have the apikey hard-coded.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for clarifying all this! The KanjiDamage mnemonics and Niai Visually Similar Kanji scripts weren’t working and I thought if they were one of those which need the manual setup of the API key, but now I’ve found out that both do work, but only in the kanji info section, not in lessons/reviews and looking through the scripts can’t see the line you’d mentioned, so looks like I need to look for the problem elsewhere. Thank you!

Please don’t laugh at me if I’m being a total numpty, but I can’t get this to work at all.

Running Android 7.0 on a generic tablet, using Chrome. Installed Tampermonkey app, but when I use it to try and install a script it won’t do it. I click the “install this script” green button and it just goes through to a page of code with no secondary install button.

I’ve been using wanikani for a year and a half with no scripts so it’s not the end of the world if I can’t get them to work, but many sage advisors have told me they would be of help on my kanji quest.

2 Likes

I don’t know the specifics, but this thread claims it’s possible with firefox and the violentmonkey add-onn. Haven’t tried it myself though.

1 Like

What “edits” are we supposed to be making?

None, unless someone tells you that you need to.
In the past, many scripts had a list of settings at the top of the script code. Nowadays, most scripts that have settings have an interface for editing settings.

1 Like

I added info for installing Tampermonkey for Safari in the guide.

1 Like

It seems since the Mac update on Safari tampermonkey doesn’t work. Anyone have any suggestions?

I’m trying to work out how to use Userscripts. go to the App Store (on your Mac) and download and install the extension.

I’m trying to install Niai which isn’t on Greasyfork, and I can’t get it to install whether through URL or download. Tampermonkey on Chrome for Mac. Any ideas?

I’m assuming this still is not possible on iPad but thought I should check?

I’d like to install the reorder script but don’t want to take my laptop on an upcoming trip.

@Cathm2 I know it’s a bit late, but for iOS/iPadOS, Tsurukame has reordering options, and we are about to add more! Feel free to request what kind of options you would like to see.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this thread. Because of this I was able to install a script to see kanji stroke order, which is really exciting!

1 Like

Please note that you will have to pay for Tampermonkey… at least on Safari for the Mac. :confused:

1 Like

On Chrome for Windows it is free of charges.

It looks like it’s free for everything except safari 12+ on mac, which is really weird.

Shotgun! 久しぶりね~~!

(I’m still here since WK is my only ‘social media’, but lately I mostly lurk due to excessive work)

3 Likes