Visual Guide on How To Install A Userscript

Hi,

I am a complete newbie and this might be a stupid question. But is there any way to run user scripts on an iPad? Or an iOS app that’s equivalent to a reorder script?

Thanks

1 Like

Pinned topic!

Who’s with me?

1 Like

as far as I know there isn’t a good way to run scripts in mobile browsers. These things are in development, but for either didn’t work or not reliably so.

Maybe one of the iOS apps has a reorder script built in. The Android one has it, so surely it is possible to do. I think it’s called AlliCrab. Copied from script list:

• Mobile AlliCrab by cplaverty: features in-app reviews and lessons using an embedded web browser, ignore button, review timeline, notifications when reviews are available, 1Password support, “today” widget.

• WaniKani for iOS by haawa: iOS app. features in-app reviews and lessons, lightning mode, ignore button, notifications when reviews are available, in-app browser, and lots more features

Userscript can be installed in Android (using Firefox + USI), but most of the userscipt aren’t working properly. So, better use an app.

Thank you

I found WaniKani for IOS app, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I am just getting a picture of an endlessly spinning dog :slight_smile: Well, back to doing wanikani without shortcuts.

I can’t help you with those apps. Any questions should be posted on their threads.

AlliCrab: [iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

WaniKani for iOS: New iOS app

You will also find further info and instructions on how to install there. I haven’t followed the iOS apps too closely but I’m fairly sure at least one of those two was still working a few months ago (think it was allicrab, could be both). Give those threads a look. Don’t give up!

I’m new be here and i wanted to try out the script.
I had access to this guide from “The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps”.

I’m on Firefox and the scripts didn’t worked for me as long as i used Greasemonkey.
But it did work with Tampermonkey.

Maybe there is an update to do on this guide for the sake of the firefox users.

@Touakak,
There was a significant change in Firefox in November that required some changes in functionality in GreaseMonkey, which broke a lot of scripts. There hasn’t been a big effort to make scripts compatible with GM again since they all still work in TamperMonkey and ViolentMonkey, so a lot of people have simply switched to TM or VM.

@Mempo, would you be interested in converting the thread to a wiki so the community can maintain it in the long term? (or PMing Kristen if you don’t have access to grant wiki status?)

1 Like

Ask and ye shall receive

You can edit all you want now

1 Like

Thank you !
Then I’d like to edit the firefox guide and update it for TamperMonkey.
How can i edit this post ?
Do I need to be a granted or something ?

I think anyone can edit a wiki. Just go to the top post, click on the edit/pencil icon in the upper-right, then click Edit Wiki.

I don’t have it. Maybe because i havn’t paid yet. In that case, i’ll do that in than a week I guess.
I do have a pencil icon on the upper-right that shows me the history, but no Edit Wiki.
Also, I can see the pen to edit my own messages, not for the top post.

I don’t think it has anything to do with what you pay for WK. Maybe you need a certain “trust level” on the forums, and you simply haven’t posted enough to get it…

Btw, what changed with firefox / tampermonkey that it needs updating?

Wait… Tampermonkey and FF? I presumed it would work very similar to the steps outlined in the Chrome section.

I think it was about instructing people to install TM on FF instead of GM on FF, since GM is broken for a lot of scripts now.

1 Like

An update was long due, and I finally did it!

Changes:

• Fixed links in table of contents
  • Added ‘other browsers’ section so nobody gets confused / feels left out
  • Merged Firefox and Chrome sections. The new “official” advice is for everybody to install Tampermonkey, so there’s no more need for a separate section for each browser.
  • Made some new pictures (Tampermonkey’s UI changed slightly over the years)

Also, the guide is now a wiki. This means anyone can make edits! If you see a mistake in the guide, you can change it yourself now WOOHOO!

1 Like

Hello! I am new to all of this.:slight_smile: I use Firefox/Tampermonkey - could you tell me please how do I set up API keys for certain userscripts which don’t pull it automagically? I’ve found the key, but I can’t find anywhere in TM menu a place to input the API - is it somewhere in the script I need to do it? Thank you

Usually, it’s near the top of the script itself. I think some scripts even rely on other scripts to fetch it, in which case you could just install Ultimate Timeline first (and delete it afterward if you don’t want to use it).

I do have the Ultimate Timeline one - does that help other scripts? Do you have a screenshot as an example of where I need to enter the API for the script?

Ultimate Timeline fetches the apikey automatically, and a lot of other scripts store/recall it at the same location. So, often if you have Ultimate Timeline installed, scripts will see the apikey already stored in your browser, and you won’t have to do anything else to make them work. But not all scripts do that. Some scripts have the apikey hard-coded in the code, and require you to insert your apikey into the script itself.

What script do you want to install? If it’s a hard-coded script, you can open the script’s code (by clicking on it in the Tampermonkey Dashboard), you’ll see a line somewhere near the top with something like:

var apikey = "[Enter your apikey here]";

But every script is different.

I can’t post a screen-shot because I don’t think I have any scripts installed that have the apikey hard-coded.

2 Likes