Uses of これ

I know that これ means ‘this’ but could it be used to talk about a scene, such something that has just happened? Would it work in this sentence: これは不正, responding to something that was unjustifiable.

I might be making this up, but I’m fairly sure that if you want to talk about something that just happened then you’d use それ not これ, because これ is used for something which is close to the speaker, and something which is in the past is no longer close to the them.

I imagine that’s fine if you’re talking about something that is happening in the present. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah you can use これ to talk about overall situations and things

これは不正 works, you’d add a copula to it if you want to make it more polite or declarative --> これは不正です/ (“This is injustice/wrongdoing”)

If you want to explicitly say “This is unjustifiable”, you could also go with something like–> これは正当ではない/じゃない

Hmm I don’t think it matters if the situation occurred in the past or the present, I think it matters more on the viewpoint that the speaker is expressing

For example, even in English, if some terrible crime happened and you were a bystander and learned of what had occurred, you could say to someone or to yourself “This is horrible”, even though the event already took place and is technically in the past. Or if there’s a court case and a verdict is rendered that you didn’t agree with, you could say “This is injustice”

It does seemingly imply that the situations are “close” to the speaker when you use “this” to talk about them, and there are definitely times when saying “that” would likely be used over “this”, like if a friend just told you they got accepted into university, you’d likely respond “That’s amazing!” instead of using “this”, since the situation is not technically close to you, though you could still technically say “This is amazing!” and it’d still be correct and would convey the same meaning and imply that the situation is close to you too

So I think it just comes down to the situation and the way the speaker chooses to express themselves and their viewpoint – considering that situations and scenes aren’t physical objects that have a set proximity to a speaker, I think it’s more a matter of subjectivity :thinking:

I think with this specific sentence, in a specific context, you could omit it (if you also omit the subject これ, although I am unsure if you can omit the copula while including the subject). I’m going to quote this article from IMABI:

Omitting Da だ

The copula da だ is also occasionally dropped altogether with a heightened intonation at the end to express various emotions such as anger or surprise. Dropping the copula may also be done in this fashion in English.

1. あ、ピカチュウ(だ)!
    A, Pikachū (da)!
    Ah, (it’s) Pikachu!

2. 開始かいし(だ)!
    Kaishi (da)!
    Start!
    Literally: This is the start!

Yelling 不正 might just do it.

Oops :see_no_evil: yeah you’re right, I think I was thinking too formally there :eyes:

Copulas make things more polite/declarative, they can (and are) omitted when things are inferred from context, so you can simply say 「これは不正」 and it would just sound casual – I edited my original response to reflect that, thanks for pointing it out ^^

com-resize%20(46)

Thank you for all the help guys!