[UserScript] WaniKani SRS Ranks

Hi everyone! I’ve created another fun little UserScript that adds more SRS ranks, AND lets you change the rank labels in WaniKani’s SRS system to whatever you want them to be.

Did you know that there are 10 SRS levels (i.e. you have to get an item right 10 times to burn it), but only labels for 5 of these? Apprentice (4), Guru (6), Master (8), Enlightened (9), Burned (10). What’s more, is that they’re all weighted towards the later levels (see brackets), so earlier on you’ll see “Apprentice” and “Guru” a lot. This script fills the gaps and adds some new ranks that I’ve come up with:

1. Layman (you won’t see this unless you get new items wrong)
  2. Initiate
  3. Novice
  4. Apprentice
  5. Journeyman
  6. Adept (This is the default ‘Guru’ level)
  7. Guru
  8. Master
  9. Enlightened
  10. Burned

I tried to keep the new order and rank labels logical, (drawing some inspiration from Skyrim, heh). These are in a list at the top of the script though, so you can change them to be whatever you like! :^)

Download the script here:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/39258-wanikani-srs-ranks

and find the source here:

NOTE: For simplicity’s sake, this only affects review sessions. What’s more, if you’re using something like WaniKani improve (also known as Lightning Mode), this isn’t compatible (since you don’t see SRS labels when you skip for correct answers).

Screenshots:

The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I made a version of this as well. It’s interesting to see how we solved the problem differently though. :slight_smile:

Oh cool! Sorry, I hadn’t seen this before. I feel like I’d been through just about all of the available UserScripts but I must have skimmed over yours. Interesting approaches indeed, thankfully the nature of how WaniKani made it relatively simple ,like you said.

I tried to make a point of having only a single reference so it’d be easy for people to update the rank labels without having to do it in more than one place.

Screenshots maybe?

There are screenshots in the GreasyFork link - not much to show tbh! I’ll upload some to the OP as well though, no problems :slight_smile: