[Userscript] Wanikani Item Inspector

Try making sure the “show stroke order popups” is disabled in all the views as well as the tables.

If this doesn’t work try deleting all the views and recreate them with the restore missing defaults button.

If this fails the only thing that comes to my mind is you are somehow forgetting the popup checkbox in one table that escaped your notice.

If this fails please check if you have errors at the Javascript console and post a screenshot of what you find there.

To do that, go into Safari’s preferences (Safari Menu > Preferences) and select the Advanced Tab. Once that menu is enabled, you will find the developer console by clicking on Develop > Show Javascript Console . You can also use the shortcut Option + ⌘ + C.

I unchecked all four categories under “Views and Reports.” Still have an issue. Here’s what the console tells me—even though I turned off all of the content blockers:

FWIW, I’m now getting “WANIKANI-API: Moving to settings page to fetch API key!” whenever I go to reviews. I believe I’ve fetched the API key, but I’m not sure whether I’m doing that correctly. (Is this connected to your script?)

My script expects to find an API key in you API token page.

You should have at least one API token created. It doesn’t matter how it is called as long as it is there. For example:

If you don’t have a token created there you need to generate one. with the “Generate a new token” button.

If you have a token created there then my script is unrelated to the message you are getting.

Version 1.20.5 is out - Download it at the link in the top post.

This version prints to the console the reason you may get the message to install the stroke order fonts.

@dysmedia please try the following

• Install this version
  • In the wanikani dashboard page refresh your browser
  • Post a print screen of the messages at the console

This should inform us of why you still get the prompt for the fonts…

As an aside have you tried rebooting the computer? Perhaps this may cause the font to become properly installed.

I installed this script for my leeches

So where do I have to go to check them? I didnt change anything on settings, is this like a quiz or it shows the leeches on a csv format file?

By default the leeches are listed on the dashboard when you select the Leeches table in the table selector. To study your leeches you recite the reading and meaning aloud and then you move the mouse over the leech and the answer will show in a popup.

You may also start a quiz by clicking a Self-Study Quiz integration button.

It helps if you read the documentation in the top post. You will get the hang of the many features of this script this way.

This script really is amazing! It’s giving me exactly what I need and when I need it. Wohoo! ^>^

Btw: will the Item inspector remember my randomized burned items list? or will it create a new randomization each time I shut down/open up the browser?

1 Like

Shutting down the browser cause a new randomized list to occur.

1 Like

But it remembers the date-version? (organized per when you burned an item)?

1 Like

Yes it remembers the date version.

1 Like

Ah, now I realized what my real confusion was about (and I guess what might have confused you with my question) ^^; Essentially, I thought I could randomize the entire list of 5000 items and then gradually work myself through it by quizzing page after page of items. But the randomizer just makes one random page of max 33 items.

Would it be possible to let the Item Inspector randomize all the items, list them in a set order that it remembers after closing the browser so you could work your way through that list over several days? :eyes:

(basically, the random mix of low-level items and higher level items would increase the difficulty. I just found the date listing a bit easier than it needs to be to crunch these items)

1 Like

No I won’t do this. This process would consume an inordinate amount of a scarce browser permanent storage because Item Inspector would need to remember every single item that is randomized. I am reluctant to hog this resource for my script.

The date ordering is for working items over several days. I can do it because I only need to remember the current date and figure out which items to display on the date basis. This is a much more effective use of storage resources.

Have you tried moving the date until you reach items that are harder to remember? Lower level items are easy but I suppose the difficulty should increase with the level. The navigation buttons will move the items across dates.

The advantage of going by dates is newly burned item are automatically appended at the end of the list. This will be handy when you get to 6000 burned items.

This automatic appending would not happen with a list of randomized items which would be static. New items would be added only when you redo the randomization and there would be no convenient way to study only the recently burned items because they would be scattered al over the place by the randomization.

1 Like

You could just store the IDs in the randomized order, or use a seeded RNG

3 Likes

Ah, I see. I guess that makes sense. One of the reasons for randomizing is because it increases the interference of similar items from both lower and higher levels. Though, I guess, I could just do more interference/visually similar items training specifically for that.

For now, I guess, I’ll just use both the chronological list for trying to revisit all items AND doing the random quiz for a bit of extra difficulty in-between. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Randomization will spread item across a wider range of levels. You may try the Leech Training emulation for this. This is randomization augmented with the injection of visually similar items. Every invocation of this feature will generate new items so across several day you will see different subsets of items.

LeechTraining

1 Like

And I guess that could be made to use the burned items? Or just any items? I guess, it doesn’t matter all that much, now that I think about it. :thinking:

I’ll definitely check this out tomorrow. Thanks a lot for helping out as always! :purple_heart:

1 Like

It works on the table it is applied to. You can apply it to the Burned Items table. The similar items are chosen randomly among all learned items. Since you are level 60 this is the same as all items.

I have another suggestion - more sensible this time :wink: - for the Item Inspector: how about adding page numbering and quick navigation.

I’m doing a number of things now with the Item Inspector, but the completionist in me likes the long list of thousands of burned items. But, I also wanna switch to the leech list and use it for leech training. That means being back on page one when I go back to burned items quizzing. And by now, I’m quite a number of pages in and I’m not even 1000+ yet. So, having page numbers and a “go to page ?” option would be neat. :slight_smile:

This is not supposed to be so. Item Inspector remembers which page you were when you quizzed burned items last and automatically brings you back there when you select this table again. Do you mean this feature doesn’t work for you?

You already have a kind of page number. It is the item xxx part of the “Item xxx of yyy” indicator. I use item number instead of a page number because this gives a consistent numbering between the table mode and the icon list mode.

I am not sure how I would proceed to add a go to page option. I have no room in the top bar to add the required widget and I am not sure how useful this feature is because of the page memory feature.

I suggest that you make a duplicate of the burned item table for quizzing. This way if you navigate the table for purposes other than quizzing you can use the other table to avoid messing up your quiz table position.

I am under the impression you are using the base table to perform the purpose of the date ordering feature. Newly burned items may be added at random places in the default table ordering. An item on page 10 one day may be on page 11 the next day because some newly burned items are inserted before it in the default table ordering. Also you won’t get to quizzing the newly burned items that are inserted in already visited pages unless you revisit these pages.

In the date ordering the newly burned items are always added at the end of the table so the above problem won’t happen. Also the script will remember the last navigation position for the date ordering separately from the navigation position for the base table. You won’t need a duplicate table for navigations other than quizzing.

1 Like