[Userscript] Wanikani Item Inspector

You are a darling! :kissing_heart: I’m pretty helpless around these things, so any help is welcome. It’s not a priority right now either, since I wanted to give my recent studies a chance to take effect (well, I already see movement on the Item Inspector-list, so I know something is working. ^>^)

2 Likes

Spreadsheets is the gateway drug to programming

4 Likes

Sounds dangerous! ^^; and I have enough vices as it is…

1 Like

Spreadsheeting is a lot of fun!

1 Like

Well, I’ll consider it, alright. :sweat_smile:

Version 1.4.2 is out. Download it at the link at the beginning of the top post.

Thanks to @Kumirei who has graciously permitted to reuse some Dashboard Apprentice code in Item Inspector. This came handy in this version and will be useful for some more features that I am planning.

This version is about look and ease of use to make Item Inspector more enjoyable.

First tooltips are renamed popups. Items are not tools so the term tooltip is inappropriate.

Then the look of the popups is improved. See.

popup

Then there is a goodie for those like myself who use the tables to study. The procedure is to go over the items and recite aloud the meaning and reading. Then we use the popup to check the answer. The problem is the items are small and hard to recognize. There is an enlarged version in the popup but consulting this would reveal the meaning and reading before its time. The solution is to have another popup at the right of the item for this purpose. This popup may be annoying for those who don’t use the table for studying. There is a setting to enable or disable it on a table per table basis.

Then there is an issue with Wanikani data that causes some radicals to appear black as below. You may have seen some of those. This is resolved. Now all radicals will show the same color.

Example of the problem:

Table

I have noticed that the Breeze Dark theme changes the height of the lines. This is annoying because Item Inspector is designed to fit the table on one screen to avoid scrolling. Dark Breeze breaks this. A setting has been added to change the number of lines in the table. You may now make the table fit your screen.

A final note to Breeze Dark users. In item Inspector table entries are colored to identify whether an item is radical, kanji or vocabulary. This theme makes all the entries black so this information is lost. This color information is available in the background of popup images, so Breeze Dark users may use that. If there is popular demand from Breeze Dark users to restore the colors in the table I will make an effort.

Coming up next: a data exporter for use with spreadsheet software as per @ekg request.

3 Likes

Ah, yet another exciting development from PRouleau. How I wish all companies outside WK that make products and provide services have the attention to detail, bias to constant improvement, and overall pleasant demeanor to users/subscribers, that you have exhibited and are continuing to exhibit. That “helpful durtle” badge was well earned kind sir!
:bowing_man:
we’re not worthy! we’re not worthy! we’re not worthy!

3 Likes

Did you just assume his/her/their/its gender?

How did you do this? CSS inversion filter?

Yep! Same as is done in Dashboard Apprentice. This is where I learned this trick. Neat!

1 Like

I figure there is a way to do it properly by making it an SVG element and defining the stroke color or something, but I haven’t bothered to find out how that works

1 Like

The filter is good enough. Besides I am going to implement table colors for Breeze Dark. This is not a lot of work and I feel bad about letting these users without colors.

1 Like

I changed my mind. Implementing colors in Breeze Dark requires big changes to the way Item Inspector CSS is designed. The reason is Item Inspector uses classes and styles built into the default Wanikani. Breeze Dark is designed to override that. One side-effect is Breeze Dark breaks Item Inspector popups. The only way out that I can see is to stop reusing Wanikani styling so I can regain control of my CSS rules. I am not going to do that anytime soon.

1 Like

I love using the list as it is, to study my leeches (much like you suggested), so that extra popup is a great addition! :grin: I just used ridiculous zoom of the entire webpage before. :sweat_smile: Now this makes it much easier to go through those leeches. Many thanks for the update! ^>^

1 Like

That’s the worst thing about Breeze Dark. The CSS rules are so general that it ruins a lot of userscripts

1 Like

It doesn’t help that my CSSjustsu is not top notch. I am learning as I am using it. Supporting Breeze Dark will take time. I am doing the export function first. I will return to Breeze Dark after.

1 Like

Version 1.5.0 is out. Download it at the link at the beginning of the top post.

This is the data export to spreadsheet feature requested by @ekg. I originally planned to do a quick stopgap job but I ended doing the full thing because it was easier to do than I thought. @ekg note also that the word cloud export button now has a cuter icon.

The documentation of the export feature is in the top post in the section Exporting Features. Please refer to it.

I also developed a procedure for tracking the evolution of leeches over time. No spreadsheet programming is required. It is sufficient to use the spreadsheet features in the menu. The procedure is also in the top post under Exporting Features.

@ekg please let me know how both the export and the procedure fit your needs.

I tested the export and leech tracking with Libre Office. This is the spreadsheet I have. @ekg please let me know how this works with Excel. I everything is fine I will put a note in the top post.

Coming up next: making Item Inspector work with Breeze Dark.

2 Likes

Version 1.5.1 is out. Download it at the link at the beginning of the top post.

Fixing bugs I discovered in 1.5.0 just after publishing it. How embarrassing.

2 Likes

You work fast! :eyes: I haven’t set up how to do the comparison spread sheet thingy yet, but I’ll give the buttons a test run later today! ^>^ Many thanks for the update! :heart:

1 Like

Only because I found a ridiculously easy way to do it.

I expect it will take a few weeks to see how it works out in practice. You need to build an history to see how well it is tracked. However I feel confident about it.

1 Like