[Userscript] Keisei 形声 Semantic-Phonetic Composition

I took this on the page of level 12 kanji 僕, somehow the level is mislabeled as 44.

Presumably the kanji was moved from level 44 at some point

Is anyone else using this in Safari 14? I’m not sure if there is just an issue with Safari, but if I have this userscript enabled it cases all my other userscripts to fail to load. As soon as I disable it, everything else works.

Edit to add:

Unfortunately the Javascript Console doesn’t show any errors. I only happened to figure out it was the cause of the rest of my userscripts not running through trial and error of disabling/enabling the various scripts I have installed.

1 Like

I might be if it wasn’t for the weird situation with Tampermonkey on it…

First of all thanks for the script, I think it will be quie usefull for me in the future.

Now I only have a question what do the symbols on top of the of the kanji mean? And what do the color stand for?
For example てん green, ちゅう red and so forth.

1 Like

天 = perfect phonetic match
上 = strong phonetic connection
中 = weak phonetic connectiom
下 = no phonetic connection

8 Likes

Thanks a lot, that helps!

1 Like

I was wondering about starting to use this early on in my journey here. I only have one concern about using this type of script though. Most likely not a real issue but I’d like to try and get some feedback from others that I have used this. Could this or has this ever become an issue where you start to only look for the phonetic radical and get the kanji wrong. Or forget the meaning of the individual kanji itself wrong overtime of using this.

I haven’t really noticed that being a problem for me.

Honestly, I find it ultimately even more enriching to have, as it helps creates connections and mnemonics through recognizing that certain radicals have common phonetic compositions. They clearly mention the situations where an exception occurs, which you can fall back on WK’s hint to work around instead.

I don’t think there’s any particular moment where in getting it wrong, I’d curse the day I installed this userscript. So keep it on :slight_smile:

Here’s a great article about phonetic components to help you take advantage of this userscript to the fullest.

3 Likes

Ah okay, I’ll take your word for it and try to utilize it then :slightly_smiling_face:
It helps to get input from others that have been on this journey a while longer than I, so thanks!

1 Like

I have a question about this message:

The kanji 「」 has an unknown or contested origin, or its phonetic mark is too obscure to be useful. Stay tuned for more information in future versions.

What’s the reasoning behind this message?

I ask because I came across 添 which uses 水 semantically and 忝 phonetically according to this dictionary with the phonetic marker being a good match for the on’yomi reading.

It is my understanding that the data for this script is at least in part manually populated. Some errors are bound to happen from time to times. Also the data was collected from multiple sources and disagreement between sources are possible.

1 Like

I just encountered the kanji 芸, and the script shows that it’s phonetic component is 埶.

While this seems to be true historically when it was written as 藝 (reference: Wiktionary 芸), that phonetic part is no longer a part of the kanji as it is written today.

I was just wondering, does it make sense to keep it in the list given that?

It doesn’t really bother me to have that information, but since the kanji didn’t seem to contain that component it did confuse me at first and I was curious what others thought about it.

How is 人 a part of the semantic meaning? It’s not even a radical in the kanji.

人 is shaped like 亻when it appears on the left side of a kanji. WK calls this the “leader” radical, but it’s literally just what 人 looks like in that position.

5 Likes

ohhh. I feel like that should be explained somewhere. Thanks.

WaniKani’s not a big fan of explaining radical variants, but for vanilla WaniKani, that never really comes up. When you’re using this script, you’re introducing outside information, so you may need to research the variants for yourself.

6 Likes

I had a strange symptom involving this script. When I enable it all my other scripts on the dashboard silently stop working, as if they are all disabled. I turned all my scripts off and turned them on one by one. Then the problem occurs only when the Keisei script is turned on. Anyone else has this symptom?

I had this issue as well. Uninstalling and then reinstalling this script fixed it. (Factory reset didn’t.) It’s happened a few times now.

I noticed that out of my nearly 30 scripts, this is the only one that stores data in TamperMonkey. So maybe something is going wrong with that. IIRC I’m using an older version of TamperMonkey because my browser doesn’t support the latest one. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ iunno maybe that information can be useful to someone somehow.

1 Like