[Userscript] Keisei 形声 Semantic-Phonetic Composition

Hi @acm2010,

could you go the same path as the WK developers, and change the font weight from bold to normal, please?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mwil/wanikani-userscripts/7caebf537b4d02084d85f1a19d26b50c185d8d05/styles/css/chargrid.css

1 Like

Also 麟 of 麒麟 (麒 also uses phono-semantic 其) so… キ・リン (giraffe)

Also, I see that clicking on a kanji is opening the corresponding page on jisho.org
The search URL seems to be implemented here, but it cannot be modified locally:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mwil/wanikani-userscripts/51438d133a194c16deb81518b1f7f89c1f6abf6d/wanikani-phonetic-compounds/wk_keisei.nav.js

Could you please add a user option to override the URL? Or to select the site from a list? I would appreciate to use:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/${phon}

But maybe other users may prefer the wiki site of their native language.

Thanks & Regards

I will apply some changes on the weekend. It should be easy to make the lookup more flexible.

2 Likes

hi acm2010,
sorry in advance to sollitate you frequently. I was looking at the kanji 院 and was surprised that your sources consider it to be a compound of 奐.
Usually, I read that it is composed of:
radical 阝(⾩=hill) + phonetic 完 (“complete”)

Can you please confirm, and would you have more details on the glyph origin? Thanks, cordially.

The fonts are now altered to non-bold.

I also changed the URL scheme to make it a bit more flexible, but it only applies to Keisei at the moment, and as before only to kanji that are not in WK (the others just get an internal WK URL).

There is no GUI support, once the newest version of Keisei was started once, a line with “lookup” should appear under if you click Keisei in the Tampermonkey Dashboard and go to “Storage”.

Change the URL to what you want (currently I just append the search term to that):
“lookup”: “Wiktionary, the free dictionary

I will fix it to work better next time.

2 Likes

The origin seems not so clear, Shuowen Jiezi says 寏 (奐+宀) is the original form of 院, but 院 also appears independently.

院とは (インとは) [単語記事] - ニコニコ大百科

Shirakawa also mentions 寏, but there are also sources that just say 完+阝. 垣 also comes into the mix for the actual reading …

I will check it out further, and probably just change it to 完.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will test once the new script version is updated in TamperMonkey.

All of a sudden some other scripts (as far as I have seen: lightning mode and reorder ultimate 2) don’t seem to work anymore when this script is on.

I currently have this script disabled because it was interfering with my other scripts (not sure if it was a specific one or a couple of different ones), but I forgot to report here. Attaching a screenshot of all the scripts I currently have, in case that helps.

Hello,
as some others, I got a problem today because none of my scripts were running on my main dashboard page. I disabled the Keisei script and the other scripts functioned properly again.

Could you please align the Keisei script with the Niai script, and use the following selectors:

// @include     *://www.wanikani.com/kanji/*
// @include     *://www.wanikani.com/review/session*
// @include     *://www.wanikani.com/lesson/session*

Thanks and sincerly yours

Is that solution or just a workaround so you can still look at the info? Assuming the second.

hi, that is just a workaround, so that the other scripts continue working on the dashboard. I suggested this modification because it is already in use in the Niai script (for similar-looking kanji).
Usually, the long-term solution is to delete then reinstall the Keisei script, but I can tell you why it would help.

1 Like

My problem is that Keisei was newly installed with all other scripts, so I don’t see how reinstalling it would change anything for me, but I could try that.

@acm2010, it seems that a recent change is causing this script to break lessons:

Is this correct? Did the radical get super simplified?

1 Like

Yes, it did.

4 Likes

Hah, coincidentally, I was looking through some of my photos from Japan today, and came across this one:

It’s 八瀬比叡山口駅, but I was briefly thrown by what’s actually written on the building - it’s 八瀬驛 written right-to-left.

7 Likes

I would like to contribute that 沢 is also a keisei that underwent the 睪 → 尺 simplification in its phonetic component. Unsimplified, it’s 澤. The script erroneously says it is not a keisei.

Similarly, 択 was 擇 in a past life, and 釈 was 釋. For these, the script currently says:

The phonetic component is 「尺」 with the ON reading(s) 「しゃく・せき」

But really, 尺 and 睪 are the same phonetic component.

It looks like this is really all one big phonetic series:

Kanji Trad. Reading Meaning
エキ station
ヤク translate
タク swamp
タク choose
シャク explanation
3 Likes

I love information like this. Somehow it always does more to strengthen my understanding of Japanese, vs, clouding it. Frikkin awesome.

1 Like