User synonim not recognised anymore

Hi All!
I’ve just experienced a funny thing during the reviews. For an item, but I don’t know if it happens to other items as well, the synonim I wrote in is not recognised anymore. I tried to remove the synonim and re-add it, but when the item came up again it was still marked as incorrect. Is it just me or is someone else experiencing this today?

There is a hidden blacklist and it’s possible they might have added your synonym to the blacklist. Not because of you specifically, but they do this occasionally when they feel some words might cause confusion if accepted.

What is the item and what synonym did you add?

3 Likes

Maybe @arlo or @mods can help you

2 Likes

The Blacklist does trump the user synonyms, and they have been adding to them lately.
So it sounds like the most likely reason.
The word you are trying to use is probably so wrong they denied it. (main focus lately have been transitive/intransitive verb pairs, making the opposite one blacklisted)

I still think the Blacklist should be visible, for these reasons =)

6 Likes

I see.
The item is 及ぼす. As primary meaning we have “to exert” and “to reach to” is the alternate meaning.
Being a transitive verb I also added “to reach” as in to reach something, but apparently it’s not valid anymore probably because there is the intransitive pair of the verb which has to reach as meaning, but that’s another type reaching, not reaching something, at least in my brain :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it’s one of the transitive/intransitive. Although, I was thinking my synonim was not that wrong… :sweat_smile:

That’s 及ぶ, but in the intransitive meaning

So it is a pairing issue. Probably recently blacklisted =)
(Got up both since “to Reach to” includes the word “To reach”

PS: I am guilty of adding the wrong ones to user synonyms, especially in the low levels when I had enough just learning the words, wasn’t ready to take in “grammar” =P (“I don’t care who did it to who!” XD )
So I know the feeling :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. I wonder if to reach something would be accepted to mark the transitivity of this one

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Thanks!

1 Like

wow this one is in remarkably poor taste…
the less common/intransitive “to reach out” meaning of “to reach” is more secondary.

to reach a point
to reach for words
to reach inside (optionally ‘for’)
etc etc
it’s so subjective, and on top of that, “to reach to” is intransitive and unnatural (to reach to touch?)

The blacklist is my only gripe with wanikani; my own internal language schema shouldn’t be the concern of the system. So far it has only succeeded in leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

1 Like

Oh interesting!! I’m often too scared to add my own synonyms in case they confuse me later on.

• The Blacklist trumps user synonyms
  • The Blacklist bidens user synonyms

0 voters

2 Likes

Being a non native English speaker I sometimes get confused 'cause I unintentionally filter everything through my native language… Most of the times, the English synonim works just fine, sometimes I double fool myself like in this case :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:. Hurray!

Hey, sorry to hear that’s happening. Could you shoot us an email at hello@wanikani.com if the problem is still occurring?

That really sorta sucks. The stated goal of of wanikani is to teach kanji using vocabulary, not teach grammar, so the fact that they’re blacklisting answers that aren’t correctly transitive or intransitive doesn’t make sense to me. If you answer with one or the other, you obviously know the kanji, and if you encounter the word in the real world and the sentence has something being acted on, you will know it’s transitive automatically, right?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love it if Wanikani went into the grammar teaching business too! I’m sure it’d be great! But not in this way.

(And sorry in advance if i’m misunderstanding the issue!)

3 Likes

Just so you know, it’s spelled synonym. Latin loanwords have weird spellings.

I agree, user synonyms can get complicated, especially with the blacklist. But, at least we have user synonyms at all!
Some other language learning applications have no user synonym options and are terrible all around
cough cough Rosetta Stone
duolingo

3 Likes

Hi Rachel. Thank you for that! Don’t worry, I figured that the problem was me misinterpreting :sweat_smile:

1 Like

えっと…   

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.