Updates to Lessons, Reviews and Extra Study are live

On a side note. This update is not as bad on Safari for macOS (even with a Japanese Kana keyboard) if you don’t use scripts of course.

Really appreciate your team for taking the time to update the site. However, I’m not a fan of using arrow keys to switch between slides and would much prefer to use the old hotkeys. It would be much appreciated if you can add a function to revert to old hotkeys or remap existing ones. Thank you!

1 Like

If you typed the meaning in the reading input, or vice versa it would shake and remind you it’s looking for reading and not meaning (or the other way around).

This still works for me with default readings and meanings. I’ve seen other people say there’s a problem with scripts, so if those integrate with the readings then maybe that’s causing it. Might be a bug though.

Now it takes time to find the tiny kanji meaning after pressing F.
Also have to scroll to the bottom for radicals. Until now it was just a quick glance. Every website wants to be a tablet app. :frowning:

9 Likes

As an experiment I typed zoo as the reading for 動物園, which obviously came out as ずう. Anyway, simply marked it as wrong.
Also, no active scripts (since they’ve all stopped working anyway).

1 Like

I hope the return of the review summary won’t take a month.

Can you make this priority #1.
It could probably be updated in a few hours.

//and don’t wait for a big update that takes weeks, do a 1-day patch to fix this one!

4 Likes

Anything that improves the mobile experience is hugely welcome, that goes without saying.

You’ve removed the (very) intuitive “enter key” functionality without remapping it to anything more (?) useful - why remove that functionality then? Hitting enter is such a basic default reaction at this stage, I don’t see any gain in that choice.

Also - the lesson review was a fairly fundamental component of the learning experience. Please reinstate that.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Revert and reevaluate is their best solution obviously, but developers are stubborn :wink: They don’t want to see their hard work go to waste (even temporarily!)

Work out how to bring the old functionality back (also think about the plugin guys too) then push it again.

1 Like

To be blunt: mindsets like yours are the reason why half baked beta software is thrown at paying customers all the time.

I don’t want to wait god knows how long for them to fix things that should have been properly thought through BEFORE such an “update” goes live.

Not to mention that they have resisted the idea of a proper dark mode for years. Fat chance they will change their minds anytime soon.

1 Like

So I tried ‘sama’ for 様 when it wanted the meaning, and ‘gれえn’ for 緑 when it wanted the reading. I often input things like this. Both shook and said ‘try again’. For me, Zoo comes out as ぞお - zoo, not ずう - zuu. So I don’t know if that’s your issue there?

Absolutely. I actually just said this myself in another thread. :joy:

True… But, the best developers are those who are willing to admit mistakes and correct them. (Source: I’m a professional software developer myself, and I try to do this, rather than what’s quoted. :wink:)

In both organizations I’ve worked for, this is exactly what we would have done.

All that said, I do recognize that the more “invisible” back end changes are likely a long-term significant improvement. (Though, they should have been rolled out as separately as possible from anything else.)

1 Like

As a script author who spent the day digging into the changes, the idea that the review summary can be resurrected in a few hours is unrealistic.

The review summary, from prior comments, appears to be a casualty of the removal of the session timeouts, which is IMHO the best thing about this new release. So that would appear to be a wash.

I’ve been quite critical of the changes and how they were rolled out, but the infrastructure that you don’t see in the UX, is actually quite nice and I can see that making the lives of future script writers much easier. I do wish Tofugu had done more outreach to script authors, given them a longer lead time to migrate scripts, more documentation on the changes, and the ability to toggle between old and new versions. And I do still hope that they rethink a large number of the UX changes, but the underlying architecture changes seem to be pointing in the right direction.

9 Likes

Omfg I’m an idiot.

1 Like

WaniKani no longer works on my work computer. Can we fix this please :pray:

2 Likes

Then the quickest option might be to add the old version and give a toggle to opt for this new version.

If they only had beta-tested this among a few users (not developers!), they would have instantly known what mistakes were made… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Here after 24 hours. Did some lessons. Really miss the lesson counter too :face_exhaling:

I rely on keeping my lessons to a specific limit each day to make sure I don’t overwhelm and also make progress - keep in the sweet spot. I do 9 lessons of radical or kanji and 12 lessons of vocab. I reduced lesson count to 3 because of poor short-term memory.

Sound ridiculous, but actually keeping track of what I just did is a problem (pretty sure attributed to ADHD and the poor short-term memory) and after the first couple of batches I really struggled to know where I was.

Before, I could just look “Oh, I’ve done 9, one more batch of vocab and I’ll stop” But now, I can’t check easily without having to do lesson math that I don’t have the brain capacity for.

Please bring lesson counts back! :persevere:
So far I see this update has taken away a lot of useful information from learners without providing a useful alternative.

13 Likes

While I was originally planning on just toughing out this update, I’ve decided now to completely quit WaniKani. I’ve learned how to learn Kanji well enough that I can manage on Anki, which will be helpful because I can add non-WaniKani words there as well. I don’t want to use a service that can break this bad this easily. Now I just wish that I had never bought lifetime.

4 Likes

So having basically spent an entire day singularly focused on what a fiasco this release has been, I want to step back a little bit.

Yes, I still think this whole thing needs to be rolled back ASAP.

No, it won’t happen overnight. I don’t think Tofugu engineers make enough to be willing to pull all-nighters. They aren’t Amazon.

To put things into perspective, the things they did here were all intended to make things better, at least long-term. They were misguided, but not user-hostile. Nothing was done in the name of creating “user engagement” to drive “click-throughs” so they could sell ads. The usual enshittification process that drives the software industry is not at play here.

Here, some folks goofed. On Sunday night, a few programmers thought they were about to ship a major update to a beloved product, and their months of work would finally pay off when everyone saw just how smooth everything was, how quick lessons now loaded, how much more accessible everything was with the new high-contrast color scheme, how iteration times would be so much quicker now that all the technical debt was paid off under a unified architecture, etc. etc.

And then reality hit, the backlash was swift, and it became abundantly clear that they’d been working on a pile of shit.

That kind of whiplash is really, really traumatizing. Yeah, folks screwed up. Yeah, they should have seen it coming. That actually makes it worse. If we were all just a bunch of forum trolls whining for the sake of it, then they could just say “fuck you” and move on. But it’s even harder to deal with rejection when the other person’s right, because then you internalize it.

So basically to sum up, remember the human at the other end. Your feelings are valid, you’re right to be frustrated, and people messed up. But the people who messed up are in fact good people who made some poor decisions, and have just had a horrible, terrible, no good, really bad day.

39 Likes

Good points.

They can’t say move on cos people have paid for this though, they need to bear that in mind.

They should have beta tested it for a lot longer.

At a guess, it might have something to do with the fact that there is no longer a “Session Timeout” thing? Maybe the progress was being stored specifically for the review at the end of the session. The two systems might be tied together. Total guess though, I’ve no idea really.