Upcoming Forced Log-out

We’re making a small change to the way we track your logged-in/logged-out status 2021-07-20T17:30:00Z.

Sadly, that means that everybody’s going to be forced to re-authenticate. We tried to find ways to not do that, since it’s inconvenient, but there’s no practical way around it. Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Addendum: We’re also fixing an old logic problem with the way sessions (staying logged in) are handled. We’ve got that “remember me” box that makes your session stick around, even if you close your browser window. That works the way it should. The only problem is that not checking it behaves exactly the same way. :man_facepalming: So, that’s getting fixed at the same time. If you don’t check the box and quit out of your browser, you’ll have to log back into WaniKani. That’s a good thing for things like public or shared computers! Also, security.

107 Likes

Thank you for the heads up!

16 Likes

fear kakashi

44 Likes

tenor

5 Likes

Not the end of the world I guess.

2 Likes

Sometimes my session quits when I’m AFK for a couple minutes. Hope this fixed that?

2 Likes

Been a while since I last logged in. Hope I still remember my password. :stuck_out_tongue:

24 Likes

The forum makes me re-authenticate about a dozen times a day anyway :sweat_smile:

Logic tells me this is an issue with Brave, since I don’t see the issue in Safari on iOS, despite having the same DNS settings, etc.

3 Likes

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Eh. Whatever. Saved passwords in the browser for the win! :smiley:

2 Likes

Use a password manager!

This is just good practice in general - use a password manager and generate strong passwords with it while you only need to remember how to get into the manager

18 Likes

Unacceptable! That’s 10 seconds during which I won’t be able to do reviews! /s

13 Likes

A quick log out or a long “down for maintenance”, anything needed for a better experience is always worth it! :heart:

3 Likes

Or remember your password like you remember your kanji! =D

4 Likes

What did I do now? :frowning::cold_sweat:

16 Likes

i am not nervous about this at all

tenor

5 Likes

If I successfully remember my password, will it get added to the burned items list?

39 Likes

I use Brave without issue

6 Likes

Hmm, interesting.

The issue occurs on both my home network with PiHole and the university network at work, without network level tracker blocking.

Perhaps it’s Privacy Badger doing it, I’ll try disabling that for this site.

2 Likes

Just to double check this only applies to user account logins, API tokens are not affected?

1 Like

I have this issue as well with Chrome at least.

1 Like