Review Session Keeps Timing Out?

I’m not sure if anyone else has issues with this, but often when I am doing reviews I will run into the situation where if I wait too long, the session will time out, and it will ask me to refresh. I don’t sit there and do every review from start to finish without stopping, especially if I have like 200 or something. I do it while doing other things. But I always run into the issue of the session timing out. I searched around and it seems some people say their sessions never time out. I tried a suggestion to clear cookies and such, but it didn’t seem to help.

Also, today, I literally answered a review, and my session timed out right after that. So even though I was active it still timed out.

Anyways, does anyone else have this issue? Is there any way to fix it? I do reviews on my phone a lot, so when I’m using an app it doesn’t really matter, but whenever I’m using the actual website, it is quite annoying.

4 Likes

This happens from time to time. I don’t really know when or why, but it’s super annoying.

I’m about to blow you mind… During reviews there is a little clock icon, called the “wrap-up” button. If you click this, it’ll have you do 10 more reviews and then the session will finish. You never have to leave the session going straight through for all your reviews. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, I do know about the wrap up feature. But I’m just saying like I’ll answer a few, do something else, answer a few more, etc.

That being said, maybe I’d find it easier to just do little bursts of 10 items. I’ll have to try that.

But to give perspective, I’m a gamer, so for example if I play a game and do reviews on the side, if I get absorbed into the game too long, my session will time out. But that’s fine, I just have to work with that and do it in a way where it won’t time out. I guess I just don’t understand why it has to timeout at all, but whatever.

1 Like

The same thing has happened to me many times. I’d switch tabs and do something else and before I knew it the session had timed out.

I’ve also wondered why they have this timeout feature at all. I’ve never really seen the point of it.

1 Like

Yeah it’s been annoying me recently, however when I began trying out the uh so dubbed ‘careless method’ I also tried fixing this by disabling all of my non-critical scripts. Since then I don’t think I have had any issues.

My inspiration for doing this was that I saw in another thread that the timeouts can be caused by scripts doing too much with WaniKani’s API (which was confirmed when sometimes on clicking the reload button I got redirected to a page that said I had made too many requests).

Not sure if you’ve looked at that stuff yet, but if you haven’t, it’s worth a try.

I’m on permanent WaniKani vacation mode, so it’s not an issue for me at this point. :laughing:
But that is an interesting point, which I hadn’t considered. I’ve always assumed it was a feature of / issue with vanilla WaniKani.

You are right. I have same problem. When start the review then five minutes later open the timeOut window at while as working.

Interesting - I got the time out notice twice today when I was just cruising through a review, so I didn’t think it was an actual time out. Did not get redirected when I clicked continue. In the past I think it’s happened when I’ve lost my internet connection, but that’s wasn’t the issue today.

Funny, I only occasionally have this problem, but today it timed out three times while I was doing my reviews, and I wasn’t stepping away, I was actively doing them each time it timed out.

2 Likes

Sometimes my session times out on my laptop, but I just keep typing through it until it refreshes by itself, or I finish the session :sweat_smile:

This happens to me a lot and sometimes if it happens too often (or I was away for too long) the review summary doesn’t take into account the whole session (earlier items are missing). Instead of refreshing, I sometimes go into the browser’s dev tools and set display: none on the overlay element, which lets me continue my session. But I’m more lazy than not so I usually just let it happen…

1 Like

I’ve once tested and waited until it would time out (I was with 2 tabs open at the same time), and it took me 30 minutes. That was always how much it would take me to usually time out, but I’ve heard people experiencing it after 5 minutes :thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.