Unlock kanji and vocab at Apprentice 4

My problem is that I tend to level up at the same time as unlocking a ton of vocabulary for the level. How about this:

• Maintain the level-up requirements as guru on radicals and kanji.
  • Unlock kanji once radicals are 90% apprentice 4.
  • Unlock vocab once kanji are 90% apprentice 4.

Has this been suggested before? Would this cause problems at higher levels?

The main thing I’d like to solve is suddenly getting a batch of vocab at the same time as levelling up. One way around this would be to unlock some vocab early.

One idea for that is to unlock vocab for the kanji that folks tend to get good accuracy on (i.e. that they got the kanji to level 4 is a strong indicator that they will get them to guru with 100% accuracy).

What’s the problem with it? You don’t have to do everything at once.

Just defer the lessons until you have time. If you defer enough, at some point you’ll just always have lessons ready.

This is only because you do all your reviews at one time. When I level up, I do not touch new lessons on kanji - my lessons are ordered in order of 1] vocabulary 2] radicals 3] Kanji.

I do all my vocabulary and radicals and only touch new kanji lessons once ive completely cleared out my Apprentice queue. It makes leveling and doing reviews extremely consistent and cuts down on the maximum amount of work to be done at any one time.

I do this because I have been lv19 before - it you keep going at your current rate you will get swamped with more than you will generally have time for in one sitting.

This is only because you do all your reviews at one time. When I level up, I do not touch new lessons on kanji - my lessons are ordered in order of 1] vocabulary 2] radicals 3] Kanji.

I’m not sure that I understand. The order must be: 1) vocabulary from the previous level, 2) radicals from the current level, 3) kanji for the current level.

What I am looking for is:

1. radicals from the current level.
  2. kanji from the current level with some vocab from the current level.
  3. remainder of the kanji.
  4. remainder of the vocab.

You can put the lessons in pretty much any order you want (within reason). The default options on the site offer a little flexibility, but HF1086 is probably referring to the reorder script.

An alternative would be “no level up until 90% vocab guru’d”. That way you’re never swamped. Personally, I’m fine with things the way they are, but I do think it would be more consistent to have a requirement on vocab too.

Having said that, I would stop WK if I were told that I unlock current level vocabulary which are comprised of current level kanji when I level up. It defeats the whole purpose of solidifying dependencies before tackling vocab that use them.

I guess I misunderstood exactly what you were looking for.

VegasVed is correct in his statement about not having a reviews/lessons available for a dependency that is not already guru’d.

If your request in …
Step 2: kanji from the current level with some vocab from the current level.
… would mean that you are trying to learn Onyomi and Kunyomi at the same time

To be honest, I think this would really set back your development and make is much much more difficult to guru anything.

Having the boundary for Kanji and vocabulary separated by the leveling system is there for a reason - reinforce kanji learned previously with vocabulary + learn new kanji

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.