Level up puzzlement

Hi Guys,
I have just levelled up to level ten. Well that was four days ago, I haven’t had any new radicals or kanji in my lessons yet. It still seems to be all vocabulary from level 9. In fact this morning on my lessons I had “Coat Rack” a radical from Level 9. There doesn’t seem much point in levelling up if there is still lots of vocabulary from a previous level still to do. Level up times aren’t that important to me but this level 10 will be weeks as I’m four days into level 10 and still haven’t started anything on this level. Has anyone any comments or suggestions, have I done something wrong. This seems a bit strange to me.

2 Likes

It’s a consequence of the fact that when you level up, you also put a lot of Kanji to Guru level, which will unlock the vocab lessons for those kanji. Some levels have more vocab, some less. The vocab of your previous level have higher priority in the lesson queue than the radicals for the next/current level, so those will only appear once you’ve done all the vocab lessons.

4 Likes

When you do lessons, you can see how many of each category is in your lesson queue, in the top right corner.

How many lessons do you do per day?

Did you mean reviews, or are your lesson settings set to random? In your app settings menu you can choose in which order you get your lessons. Its default setting is ‘level–>item type’, so the lesson queue will prioritize by level first (lowest to highest), then by item type (radical->kanji->vocab).

To get to the current level radicals on level up you first have to work through the previous level vocab, that was unlocked by guru’ing kanji.

2 Likes

What you’re describing, leveling-up but not receiving new items, is impossible. You always receive new radicals and kanji after every level up.

Send an email to their support team. It’s likely something on your end and they can help figure it out. For us to be able to do so would require complete knowledge of your account. IE: You could still be level nine and be missing a kanji to level up, you could be using an app that’s not reporting your progress to their servers, or a hundred places inbetween. While we can guess what’s wrong, their staff usually replies within 24 hours and can look at your account data firsthand.

1 Like

Before getting the lessons of your new level, you have to do the remaining lessons of the preceding one. Leveling up does not mean that you have have completed all items in the old level.

With wkstats you can see which items are unlocked.

4 Likes

Thanks,
It would seem that is what has happened. It still seems a bit strange for WK to congratulate me on reaching level10, when actually i still have stuff from Level 9 to complete.

2 Likes

This also happened to me with level 4. I don’t think it’s a bug. I knew there were still some lessons to do in level 3, so I was puzzled by the congratulations on attaining level 4.

Even if you don’t want to do lessons or reviews on your phone, I recommend downloading the Tsurukame app because the main screen gives you a really simple but helpful visual representation of the opened / unopened radicals, kanji, and vocab words from your current level. There’s also a handy “show remaining” / “show all” list that lets you see what stage your stuff is at before you level up, and what stage it’s at in previous levels.

It will make the progression of leveling up and what’s left make more sense.

1 Like

I’m so used to the layout of Flaming Durtles, that I didn’t even realize that on vanilla WK it’s pretty convuluted to see the progress in the levels divided by categories.

1 Like

I use a user script called the Re-order script so that when I level up, I can get right into the radicals and kanji I need to start the leveling up process again. Then in the few days while I’m waiting to guru the new stuff, I go back and finish the old vocab lessons. This method takes some discipline, I guess some people are tempted to just leave the vocab at the back of the line forever, but I get it done, I just get it done later in that level.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your replies. I now know that levelling up doesn’t really mean levelling up, it just means you have Guru’d the required amount of kanji for that level. I would have preferred for levelling up to actually mean what it says. So next time I get my congratulations e-mail fro WK I’ll realise that it doesn’t really mean anything. I’ll stop now as I’m beginning to sound like a bitter old man, just a minute, I am a…
Anyway once again, thanks for your replies help and suggestions.

1 Like

Well, if you plan out your leveling a bit more, you won’t have that many “old” item lessons to do before the new radicals on the new level. It’s all controlled by how you guru items.

I suggest you take control of the process to suit your wants and needs.

For example, I make sure that I have guru’d most kanji and done the following vocab lessons, so that I only have 2-3 kanji to guru left at the end of levels. That in turn will make sure that there are just a few vocab lessons to do before I get the new level stuff upon level up.

It’s all up to you how you go about it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It would be asking a lot of people, and slowing most people down a lot, to use vocab as the standard for leveling up.

1 Like

It also wouldn’t be in line with the goal of the site. Since the purpose is to teach you kanji, holding you back for not knowing all vocabulary would not make a lot of sense.

1 Like

Hmm
I must be doing something wrong then. I levelled up four days ago, My radicals and most of the new kanji show on the main page. I have no reviews as of 10:00 pm and 90 lessons to do. Since levelling up I have done 40 lessons and done all my reviews but nothing from level 10 has come up. Is this right. It just seems a bit odd. I can only assume I am not doing things correctly. I apologise for my dimness. At 66 years old I need things explained a lot. LOL.

If you have your settings at the default, to prioritize items by lower level, it’s normal to have an outstanding pile of lessons before lessons from the newly unlocked level appear. This is because part of the process of leveling up (getting kanji items to guru) also unlocks vocab items. So if you do a large batch of kanji reviews that levels you up, you almost certainly unlocked many vocab at the same time. If you want, you can set items in your lesson queue to be random, which will intersperse the new ones with the old ones.

There’s no way to prioritize the new ones without installing user scripts though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.