Ugh I can't understand anything... oh wait it's Chinese

I recently realized that there’s a way around this. If you have a Google account, you can set your default settings to include results in English (or whatever language you usually google in) and Japanese so Japanese content gets prioritized.

3 Likes

I have the same issue. I thought I set my preferences for Japanese, but still get Chinese results if I search for single words. (I do image searches on words when things aren’t clear from a definition.)

The main trick I use is to include a particle if it makes sense. A trailing が or を seems to get ignored by the search engine, but clearly narrows results to Japanese.

1 Like

I’ve heard that the Japanese pronunciations are quite close to how Chinese was pronounced during the Tang Dynasty. That correlates to 1300 years ago, when all this stuff was really flooding into Japan.

On a side note, I just looked up Tang Dynasty, and now I know why is “China”!!!

2 Likes

Well as someone who doesn’t know Chinese I wouldn’t say it’s a dead giveaway especially since 糸 from my understanding is used in many Japanese kanji. 紙、絵、糸. So I would actually say, to your average Japanese student who has no knowledge of Chinese, that it’s quite easy to mistake Chinese for Japanese at first glance. Especially if you’re in Japan where you are expecting to come across Japanese.

1 Like

とは is also a good thing to tack onto the end of search terms when you’re looking for a definition or explanation of a concept.

1 Like

I don’t know any Chinese. The reason 糸 is a dead giveaway is because it looks different in Chinese.

Japanese:
糸 絵 紙

Chinese:
糸 絵 紙

6 Likes

Are you sure it never appears the way it does in the chinese characters as the left radical? I’m really sure I’ve seen it portrayed like that before in japanese though.

what%202

Are those suppose to look different? I hate these stupid font problems…

5 Likes

Differences

2 Likes

Ah thanks. I can’t tell what I’m more annoyed by: This or 直 (It literally comes up as the Chinese version in Gboard on my phone.)

1 Like

I specifically set them up to display with each variant (as seen in @Belthazar’s picture), so I’m not sure why it didn’t work for you.

I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen it written that way in Japanese. If there are certain fonts that display it that way, I have no idea.

1 Like

How did you manage to get to the end of wk and still not learn Chinese? That is the whole point of learning kan(chinese)ji(no monogatari), isn’t it?

Anyway, I suggest you email the wk team to ask for a refund.

TLDR haiku:
Learnèd kanji but
These Chinese character forms
Don’t work. Troubleshoot?

Edit: @seanblue … fixèd! :wink::turtle:

5 Likes

Isn’t learned only one syllable? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Maybe I misremembered it. I will post a picture if I find it again!

It’s in here actually :astonished: maybe it’s not exactly what you meant? @seanblue

I think it’s a problem with your device. Here’s what I see:

That entirely depends on how learnéd you’re trying to sound. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

LOL I love that fix.

2 Likes

But those are different words. :wink:

1 Like

Okay but once again your average Japanese student hasn’t come across enough Japanese and Chinese fonts to be able to rule out straight away that one isn’t Japanese. Kanji fonts and styles can have extremely different versions of the characters and I’d say that’s a small enough difference that your still able to recognise the radical so I probably wouldn’t pay it anymore notice.

Also I agree with @NathaLire I’ve definitely come across the “Chinese” version at work and in Japanese writing. So I’m not entirely sure your reasoning is correct.

1 Like