Typing answer in Katakana in Wanikani?

Hi everyone,

Is there a way/app to change wanikani into katana while typing answers in review/lessons ? 

One of the best benefits of wanikani is that it allowed me to become really fluent in hiragana, I was pretty average when I started and now I don’t really have any issue with it, it’s like reading english.

If I could turn wanikani in katana it would hopefully allow me to achieve the same fluency in katakana.

Thank you!
Julien

1 Like

Hold Shift. But be warned, if you’re turning your letters into Katanas, don’t stab yourself.

Also as mentioned before, for non-Katakana answers, WK won’t mark it as correct.

Most of the words you’ve encountered so far originated from Japan, so you are supposed to spell them out in hiragana.  Try pages like these to improve your katakana recall, rather than WaniKani:

http://realkana.com/
http://www.hiraganaquiz.com/  (it has katakana too)
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/s/sheaa/projects/genki/kata_main.html
http://learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
http://lab.fleon.org/type-kana/

For Macs at least, there’s kotoeri and you can easily switch between hiragana, katakana, and the language of your choosing. There’s also a Google thing, I think, that lets you type in kana so that should work for PCs.

yggsassil said... For Macs at least, there's kotoeri and you can easily switch between hiragana, katakana, and the language of your choosing. There's also a Google thing, I think, that lets you type in kana so that should work for PCs.
 Wish I'd know about this link when I installed Japanese language support on my Mac. It took me forever to figure out how to get the command-option-space shortcut working for switching between hiragana, katakana, and English.
BreadstickNinja said...
yggsassil said... For Macs at least, there's kotoeri and you can easily switch between hiragana, katakana, and the language of your choosing. There's also a Google thing, I think, that lets you type in kana so that should work for PCs.
 Wish I'd know about this link when I installed Japanese language support on my Mac. It took me forever to figure out how to get the command-option-space shortcut working for switching between hiragana, katakana, and English.
 In that vein, since people don't seem to know, if you are using Google IME typing F7 will turn the Hiragana into Katakana and F10 will turn it into romaji.
BreadstickNinja said...
 So glad one of the first things I did when learning Japanese was to customise the Mac IME, it works perfectly.
BFBullpup said... Most of the words you've encountered so far originated from Japan, so you are supposed to spell them out in hiragana.  
 マグロ ラーメン イルカ ガンガン ゴミ スンナリ マンコ
Aztrex said...
BreadstickNinja said...
 So glad one of the first things I did when learning Japanese was to customise the Mac IME, it works perfectly.
Can you set it so you can customize keyboard shortcuts for hiragana/etc. 'cause command+space is kind of a pain (since it's never consistent and is like "oh, you wanted English? too bad, here's katakana")

yggsassil said...
Aztrex said...
BreadstickNinja said...
Can you set it so you can customize keyboard shortcuts for hiragana/etc. 'cause command+space is kind of a pain (since it's never consistent and is like "oh, you wanted English? too bad, here's katakana")
 There is a shortcut to go from your original Keyboard (English) to Japanese, I can't remember it, but it is almost irrelevant anyway as I can use Romaji on the Japanese IME.

Here are some screenshots for anyone that wants to see how I have setup my Japanese IME on Mac:
[No shift or Caps Lock] = Hiragana with Japanese punctuation.
[Shift] = Katakana,
[CAPS LOCK] = Romaji (not full width)

Updated to Mavericks, installed IME, none of these options are showing. 👍 Giving up and sticking to kotoeri for now. Thank you for the tips, though.

Thanks for your answers everyone, there is a lot of great stuff in there, I didn’t know how to properly use my mac keyboard for typing japanese/kanji either and now I do.

However the original question was, is it possible in any way to type the answer in katakana and have wanikani taking them as correct, I understand that it’s not correct as katakana is used for loan words and most word in wanikani are original japanese words (except the odd ハート形, etc…). I would want to be able to type ワフク instead of わふく when wanikani ask me the reading for 和服 for example and wanikani accepting it as correct. That way I could practice Katakana and still get on with wanikani.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ohhh! Well, apparently not.

Syphus said…Also as mentioned before, for non-Katakana answers, WK won’t mark it as correct.

I don\t know how to write ビー玉 with hirakana so i would get right answer( びいだま seems to be wrong). I just copy paste it from up but i don’t think that’s how im supposed to do it.

Use the minus for ー. Answering in Hiragana is allowed though:
びーだま

Mucho arigatou

@jserie What about Katakana Madness userscript [Userscript] WaniKani Katakana Madness ?

1 Like

You’re replying to someone who posted 2 years ago.

1 Like

hehe sorry ^^ might be useful for someone else though

1 Like

Not sure if you already understood this, but ビ is written as “BI” (as opposed to “bi”)